Images
    Country
    Singapore

Opae ula shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The Hawaiian Red Shrimp, Opae ula, Hawaiian Volcano Shrimp, Anchialine Shrimp. From what I've read in some websites, this shrimp is a really tough survivor, and I'd like to keep some with my cherries. Has anyone ever seen this shrimp being sold at our LFS?
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Do you really want those shrimps? They look like cherry reds, but the only difference is that they live in brackish waters. I never heard of them living in planted tanks though, maybe someone will tune in on this post.

Feedback Score
    I think www.oceanrider.com sells them as "red iron" or something like that.

They look to be brackish or saltwater red cherry shrimp. I really wish bumble bee and red cherry were more widely available as I really want to try them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Opae ula

I've first seen these shrimps in Chinatown kept in a small water-bottle with a grass-like plastic plant. I think there were five shrimps in the bottle and the fishmonger displayed it next to the cash machine. More than a year later, it was still there—alive, but smaller than before.

Here is couple of sites for more information about these shrimp: http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.html
    http://www.fukubonsai.com/M-L2d.html

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Opae ula

Quote Originally Posted by Rand
    I've first seen these shrimps in Chinatown kept in a small water-bottle with a grass-like plastic plant. I think there were five shrimps in the bottle and the fishmonger displayed it next to the cash machine. More than a year later, it was still there—alive, but smaller than before.
    I think those sealed "eco-spheres" are little more than a slow-kill gas room for the shrimp. Very nasty.

I read somewhere that these shrimps can adapt to all kinds of salinity, from fresh to saltwater, so I'd like to keep some with my cherry and mosquito shrimps. They might not reproduce in freshwater though, like the yamato numaebi which is also a brackish shrimp.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Lawrence, I believe the only way to obtain those shrimps locally is to buy those "eco-spheres" you mentioned.

Alternatively, you may have to rely on our Hawaiian forum members to send some here. Whether they'll survive the journey is another story altogether.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Hi Lawrence, I believe the only way to obtain those shrimps locally is to buy those "eco-spheres" you mentioned.
    Mighty tempted to buy some and break these poor fellas out of their cells. However the thought that these companies will be encouraged to produce even more of these capsules turns me off getting them.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    To be honest, it is pretty easy to get them in Hawaii. I can buy 'em for 75 cents a shrimp if I wanted them. However, I REALLY think they should be kept in in brackish water . . . and I'd feel guilty about selling these things unless the person I get them from is breeding them. Anyone know if SOMEONE is breeding all the shrimp I see in the shops? I REALLY hope they aren't just wild-collected, or I'll be really pissed.

In my opinion the best set up for these guys is a small, brackish tank with marimo moss balls. I've seen that in captivity, the shrimp has a real fondness for the moss balls, and it's one of the few plants easily kept in brakish water.
    --Steven

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    .75 cents! Wow, where can I buy this shrimp?

I'm also adamant that no one should take native plants and animals from the wild, Hawaii has enormous extinction of animals and plants already, this shrimp should not be in that long list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand
    I'm also adamant that no one should take native plants and animals from the wild, Hawaii has enormous extinction of animals and plants already, this shrimp should not be in that long list.
    I've come across a site which sells this shrimp as food for seahorses. They come in a pack of hundreds and I believe the shrimps are all wild caught!!!

At this rate, think your list just might include those shrimps!

KG
    Who is the more foolish, the fool or he who follows him!
    Tan KG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Opae ula shrimp

sorry to bring up this thread... anyone keeping this shrimp now?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Borinz View Post
    sorry to bring up this thread... anyone keeping this shrimp now?
    Welcome to AQ Borinz, hehe.
    Your super dig on this is really amazing...2005!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Welcome to AQ Borinz, hehe.
    Your super dig on this is really amazing...2005!
    Hi Navanod, haha.. after the other bro told me abt AQ.. i did a search and found this forum..

ya.. i didnt wan to start a new thread as this has been discussed before.. so best is to use the old thread

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

anyway there is a marketplace here.. so hope i can get some free sands,shells,coral sticks, seafan etc from bros here who setup previously and have leftovers.. didnt wan to watse money buying whole bag of these and only use small portion of them... hehe..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I was told these are the shrimps sold at CRS Haven as Wonder Shrimp. Saw them at a stall some time back at SAM

See http://www.crshaven.com/popup.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

But it expensive bro .. I think is 1 red 1 green for one .. lol ... i overheard a young man trying to buy a few .. and that was what he was quoted ..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yea... the shrimps are expensive... i ordered a bottle of the basic set during the promotion period.. now afer researching i wan to transfer them to a bigger container myself.. currently sourcing for info and also other bros who sell theirs at cheaper rate as i only have 2 shrimps..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It is expensive and poor little creatures living in the small container.....find it very cruel.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by YiRiYu View Post
    It is expensive and poor little creatures living in the small container.....find it very cruel.
    Ya.. After reading n researching then I knw.. Tat is y now I am tryin to make a bigger container for them..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

An acquaintance of my better half bought these shrimps as a "pet" from one of these stalls. I had to advise her not to forget to do water changes and feed them, because whatever algae is present in the tank will never be sufficient for 4 of them, especially if they reproduce.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast