Thread: Fontinalis antypiretica

Feedback Score

Fontinalis antypiretica

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

the threads on mosses are quite interesting and i guess that it will came out later as some sort of guide to "aquarium mosses".

I'm interested in getting a sample from Fontinalis antypiretica

Paulo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fontinalis antypiretica

Paulo,

The Fontinalis antipyretica is native to many parts of Europe. I'll be quite surprised if you can't find this moss somewhere in the streams of Portugal.

Over here in Singapore, it's a rare plant. Many of the so-called Willow Mosses (common name for F. antipyretica) sold here are not genuine. The moss needs low temperatures, far lower than the other tropical mosses around here.

Loh K L

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by PL
    the threads on mosses are quite interesting and i guess that it will came out later as some sort of guide to "aquarium mosses".
    Good suggestion, and Kwek Leong when will we have your "Aquarium Mosses Guide".

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by shortman
    Good suggestion, and Kwek Leong when will we have your "Aquarium Mosses Guide".
    I've been planning to do it for a while now but just can't find the time. In any case, I need your help and Gan CW's as well. I need you to take cellular pictures of the various mosses with your microscope. I need Gan's help with pictures and to clarify certain things about the mosses.

It will take a while but eventually with much help, I hope to come up with the definitive guide to the various aquarium mosses available in the local aquaria scene. Actually, the professor is the guy who can do it but hobbyists like us won't understand the things he write . For instance, if he's describing a certain Moss, he would say something like:

The moss expresses itself well its characteristic pinnately to subpinnately branching habit. The two leaf costae are very short and often inconspicuous. The leaf margins are minutely toothed or serrulate nearly throughout.

I bet only Budak can understand that

Loh K L

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    The moss expresses itself well its characteristic pinnately to subpinnately branching habit. The two leaf costae are very short and often inconspicuous. The leaf margins are minutely toothed or serrulate nearly throughout.

I bet only Budak can understand that
    WOW! Every word I read have to go look at dictionary for what it means.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Actually, the professor is the guy who can do it but hobbyists like us won't understand the things he write . For instance, if he's describing a certain Moss, he would say something like:

Hehehe. Would it be possible to release the Professor's actual commentaries as well? I would be really interested in his "science speak" as well as the "common speak".

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Its not too difficult to explain what that line meant.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Subpinnate as a word does not exist, BIpinnate does.

In short what that line meant is :

The moss shows clear branching. Each leaf has two midribs (centre part of the leaf), which are short and not easily seen, and the edge of each leaf is serrated.

Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.