Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Leptolucania ommata info anyone?

Feedback Score

Leptolucania ommata info anyone?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I saw these on Aquabid and they seem to be a cooler water Killifish? 18 to 24C I believe, and from the Florida/Georgia region of the USA. Does anyone have any experience with these killifish?

I have a 20 gallon long presently occupied by all sorts of snails, apparently even some leeches that have re-appeared after my clown loaches were transfered to my other tank. I do not filter this tank, it is planted with DIY Co2. I do have a powerhead with a sponge on it to keep the powerhead cleaner. It has Onyx sand by Seachem, so is harder water than my other tanks. I did use an airstone, just recently switched to the powerhead for more water movement -- should I go back to the airstone for sufficient oxygen/surface movement?
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    All I know is that Leptolucania ommata is supposedly very colourful and undemanding as regards care.

Huber regards is as a fish for "advanced" killikeepers... but then again this person on Aquabid has listed several groups these past few months so he must be breeding them without too much difficulty.

tt4n

Feedback Score
    Thank you Tyrone -- I definitely would consider myself NOT an advanced Killifish keeper, but I'd say I'm experienced enough with other community fish and shrimp. I really do not have plans to breed (at least now), just enjoy. I'll keep thinking on it. We've had an incredible spell of weather 70's all last week, and it looks like it will extend to the week ahead -- so I can consider shipping them. I'd have to find someone to accept them for me though, as I'm not allowed to get packages at work.
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    I know someone who ordered from Sachs and got all males. You might hae to check and make sure they can get you mixed sexes.

They are said to be undemanding other then needing acidic water. I hope to be getting Fundulus chrysotus(which he also happens to sell) soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nonamethefish
    snip... I hope to be getting Fundulus chrysotus(which he also happens to sell) soon.
    If at all possible, get the melanistic strain of those. The speckled black markings are such a strong contrast to the golden sparkles that they show up from 20' away! Truly a gorgeous strain.

I caught a single baby one at Avon Park, FL, during our collection outing at Convention 2000. I never did get a mate for him, unfortunately, so I no longer have them. Wish I did, tho.

They are pretty easy, as are the Leptolucania ommata. I have had the latter and they aren't all that super easy to breed, but are tough and hardy to keep. [Caught some of those at Avon, too, and someone gave me a couple more.]

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Whuntley: I wish I could get the melanistics, but the guy didn't catch any. i'll probably still go for them normals though-but I do know someone who has melanistic chrysotus and plans to breed this spring. Maybe I oughtta be patient?

I'll also be getting a Elassoma evergladei, J. floridae, and swamp darters. He happened to have a GPS unit along with him so we have the location down.

Feedback Score
    Whuntley: I wish I could get the melanistics, but the guy didn't catch any. i'll probably still go for them normals though-but I do know someone who has melanistic chrysotus and plans to breed this spring. Maybe I oughtta be patient?

Also, couldn't you have bred it to a normal, and then bred heterozygous fish together to get melanistics? Or does that gene not work this way.

I'll also be getting a Elassoma evergladei, J. floridae, and swamp darters. He happened to have a GPS unit along with him so we have the location down.

Feedback Score
    Well, I don't intend to breed them, so I don't mind if I get all males -- unless of course, they are aggressive toward each other. I wonder if he would give me all females?
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    LOL I kind of doubt it. It would be nice if you bred them as they are pretty uncommon amongst hobbyists. Chances are they will breed themselves in fact.

Feedback Score
    LOL I kind of doubt it. It would be nice if you bred them as they are pretty uncommon amongst hobbyists. Chances are they will breed themselves in fact.
    Right on! I like to get all puffed up at the local club meeting when someone thinks I'm a pretty good breeder.

Deep down, I know I had damned little to do with it. If I keep them alive, they take care of the tougher stuff.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Well, I live too far in the boonies, with no hobbyists in my immediate locality that breeding them would become a great chore (and two jobs). And, many folks know I'm not going to cull any live animal -- just can't do it. So, better for me to avoid breeding until and unless my situation changes....If I felt that there were folks in my immediate area that would want them, and could care for them appropriately, I would most certainly breed some.

I emailed the gentleman and it appears that they are wild caught. I guess I'm a little torn as to whether I should get some or not. A bit of an ethical dilemma. Our weather has made a turn for the worst, though, so I guess I have more thinking time. I just simply can not make up my mind.

On another note: I noticed a person responding on the killie mail list that was from Raleigh, nc. (approx hour and a half from me). I'm hoping he or someone will have some killies to sell at our yearly Raleigh Aquarium Society Auction at the last weekend in February.
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    They are most likely wild caught. I don't think it is too much of an issue as the numbers taken are small and according to a few who know him he collects in many spots to prevent overcollection. I don't know if in L. ommata WC are more or less hardy though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whuntley
    Right on! I like to get all puffed up at the local club meeting when someone thinks I'm a pretty good breeder.

Deep down, I know I had damned little to do with it. If I keep them alive, they take care of the tougher stuff.

Wright
    Perhaps the term should be changed to great fry raiser eh?

Feedback Score
    I have slaughtered too many to qualify!

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score

leptolucania ommata

Hi there, I recieved a set of these from Paul about a week ago. They arrived here in upstate ny. just fine. Paul told me they would be ok unlees the bag actually froze. I have them in a thickly planted ten. I only see them when I feed. Unless you look real closely in the tank. They are tiny, only about an inch long. They don't call them pygmy killifish for nothing! Hopefully they will breed in the tank. JimR
    Jim Randall in senic upstate NY. AKA 08169

Feedback Score
    Rover -- what are you feeding them? Would you mind keeping me updated, especially if they start to become more friendly? Thank you
    Deborah

Feedback Score

lepto. ommata

I feed them mostly BBS. They also get some flake and some of Tim Addis's fry food. Saw them out today whlie I was watching the tube. That tank is in the living room. The rest is in the fish room in the cellar. I'll let you how they do. JimR
    Jim Randall in senic upstate NY. AKA 08169

Feedback Score
    Flake food? Oh good!
    I'll let you how they do
    Thank you!
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    To bring this back to the surface I got a trio of the F. chrysotus and Jordanella today. The guy on the other line kept good records which included collection coordinates. What exactly should I do with this information(besides keeping it safe of course)?