Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Triops for killies?

Feedback Score

Triops for killies?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am posting this in Killies arena because this is the arena I frequently read.

This subject have probably been discussed earlier somewhere.

I am now enjoying European tadpole shrimps (Triops) for my first time. I have five fast-growing monsters in a little tank. They resemble Artemia but they are fresh water shrimps and they reach the size of a full-grown Artemia in one week fed with spirulina. Their eggs have to be dried before hatching.

WHY is not Triops cultivated for killie consumption? Their growth rate seem to be excellent. WHAT is the problem? Nutrition value? Hatching rate?
    Anybody knows?
    Erik Thurfjell
    SKS 138, BKA 838-05, AKA 08998, SAA 251

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The Triops or tadpole shrimp are known to be voracious predators/scavengers. They feed on almost anything and are even known to cannibalise each other.

The Triops eggs need some proper water mix to hatch out properly. I think the very reason why they are not cultivated is because of their predaceous nature.

I saw a set of Triops eggs for sale but didn't get any because I didn't know much about them. It seems that there is two species commonly found in the market, one is from the US while the other is a European species. The US species should be T. longicauda? longiformis? (can't remember clearly..) whereas the European is T. cancriformis.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Well if they are low Nutritian then it stands to reason that there not a such a good feeder and in turn can cause less egg production or even less egg hatching, and eventually detioriation of the fish itself. You want to be giving your fish a Varied diet of the best foods you can find. I dont know about everyone else but here in NZ we have a constant source of live Bloodworms, Mossy, Daphnia etc. I feed my killies everything under the sun Including White worms and BBS.

Shae
    NZKA 250

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    The Triops or tadpole shrimp are known to be voracious predators/scavengers. They feed on almost anything and are even known to cannibalise each other.
    That might be a valid argument against Triops. Just imagine having a Triops survivor having a fiesta with your killie eggs.
    Erik Thurfjell
    SKS 138, BKA 838-05, AKA 08998, SAA 251