Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Cryps Melting at the tip

Feedback Score

Cryps Melting at the tip

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I started to notice dthat my crpys is showing signs of melting at the tip of the leaf. This also happens to new leafs. I would like to have my narrow leaf Balansae to grow longer but it is not.

Anyone have any idea what is happening to my cryps? Will snails be the culprits? I don't have any algae eating agent in the tank and only 5 Cherry barbs. No more shrimps also.

Will appreciate some inputs and suggestion.

thanks in adavance.

Feedback Score
    maybe your crypt will change form from land form to water form,,,,,just waiting and see ur cypt will get some new leaf...(water form).this is usually happened in new tan setup(new cyrpt to plant)

CMIIW

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Cryps Melting at the tip

Jerry, I've been told that Cherry Barbs eat plants but as far as I can remember, I didn't have a problem with them when there were about 20 in my tank. Snails and shrimps won't eat the leaves of the Crypt balansae; that I'm quite sure. The leaves of the balansae are actually quite hard anyway. If it looks like they melted, chances are the inhabitants of the tank are innocent. Crypts are known to melt occasionally but that usually happens when the plants are newly planted or when there's a sudden change in temperature.

Are your balansae new to the tank? As aryanggie has pointed out, when transferred from emersed to submersed conditions, Crypts often melt. And as far as I know, Crypt balansae sold in fish shops are usually those grown in emersed conditions. Emersed, they're quite short but will grow very tall in our tanks. If the melting isn't serious, the best thing to do is nothing. Leave them alone and they will adapt to the new environment eventually. Of all Crypts, balansae is one of the easiest to grow.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Aryanggie,

The emerge leafs doesn't melt. I usually trim off the emerse leaf leaving only one before planting into my tank. Those leaf that melts are the submerge leafs. That's the sad case.

Loh,

I didn't know that Cherry barbs wallop leafs. Must be careful now.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    jerry, as for my experience. the cryps i bot from farm are emersed. the emersed leaves wont melt. but new growing leaves will. let them stable and get use to yr tank temperature. They will grow back. just dont simply take them out and replant.

i hv 10 cherry barbs in my tank. they nvr eat any plants i hv.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    "dom"

We appreciate it if you could spell the words out fully and not use sms-style language in your posts. At the same time, try to sign off with your real name also.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Jerry,

Same thing happened to my crypts the last time. I thought it was the usual crypt melt but everything started to melt and very soon, no more leaves. I did find the bulb later on though. Looked all black and a little soft already. My water parameters then were PH6, KH 2. I'm suspecting it could be the sudden change of being in a fairly neutral environment to a sudden acidic one. Could that have caused the melt/rot?

C.Y. LIM

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Sorry. Was used to the short form. Won't do that again.

Btw, Dom is my name. Everyone know me calling me Dom. Any problem with my name in here?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dom
    Btw, Dom is my name. Everyone know me calling me Dom. Any problem with my name in here?
    There's no problem, Dom. What Zulkifli requested was that you sign off with a name. I know your friends know you as Dom but the people here do not know that your nick in this forum is also your real name. If you noticed, the regulars here append a signature (that contains their real names) to their posts. We encourage all users to use the signature function to do this as quite often, you will forget to sign off. I never use the signature function because since the day I discovered the internet, I have always signed off with my real name in every post I've made.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    I am done with the signature. Very new to this forum and the rules. Hope you all don't mind. Sorry for the troubles to remind me. :P
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Aphy,

PH6 and KH2 maybe a bit to hash for the plants. Try to beef up the KH to a round KH6 and PH6.8 - 7.0.

Mine is KH8 and PH6.8 - 7.0. What really puzzle me is that there is new leafs but they melt at the tip. Characteristic of Balansae is long pointy and narrow leaf but mine is just long and narrow without the tip.

Feedback Score
    Guys,

I might have found the source of this problem. I have eliminated the fact that the cryps needs time to adjust to the tank condition. he main culprit is the gravel. I was using Holland gravel and have caused the parameters in the tank goes yoyo. The other thing is the gravel turn greyish black on the areas planted with cryps.

I pulled out the cryps and plants it on another thank with an American gravel and has since growing VERY well. Even with minimal ferts without base ferts.

But this is my findings only.

jerryC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Jerry,

I don't think the "holland" sand which you are using caused yr cryps melt at the tip. I am using the "holland" sand as well. No base fertilizer. Just the weekly liquid fertilizer. And all of my crypts doing well and growing non stop.

My tank PH is 6.2. KH is 4. Temp is 27-28C.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If the sand base is beginning to compact, it can trap rotting gases within it, like methane. Most tanks using sand-based bottoms should usually have just about an inch or so of the sand. Too thick and it compacts very quickly.

Furthermore, sand isn't the best of materials to start with. If you found that the gravel has turned greyish black then probably that sector has started to become anaerobic. In other words the area is rotting and may be affecting the root system of the Cryptocorynes.

I too had better growth with Cryptocorynes using my previous type of gravel which was similar to the regular Lonestar gravel.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    If you found that the gravel has turned greyish black then probably that sector has started to become anaerobic. In other words the area is rotting and may be affecting the root system of the Cryptocorynes.
    What would be the solution to this? I think I have some areas which fit the description, and some crypts planted there do not do well too!
    Smile, and the world smiles with you!

Feedback Score
    Guys,

I was told to try this method. Due to my messed up gravel turning grey, a friend of mine suggested me to inject bacteria into the gravel. Got hold of a bottle of Azoo PSB and started the regime of injecting 20ml everyday since two days ago. The water is clearer now and the gravel shows signs of clearer color as opposed to brownish. Will try for another 3 more days and observe the difference.

Will post findings soon.

jerryC