Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What worm is that? Kill all my fish in the tank.

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I did something terriable today. I will all the hydra (i think) in the main tank. Together with the cherry shrimp and yamato shrimp.

I added about 20 drops of 3% Phos. acid into the tank and the little star turns into a white ball. I have try rescue to shrimp out but they couldn't make it after all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by keehoe
    I did something terriable today. I will all the hydra (i think) in the main tank. Together with the cherry shrimp and yamato shrimp.

I added about 20 drops of 3% Phos. acid into the tank and the little star turns into a white ball. I have try rescue to shrimp out but they couldn't make it after all.
    Hi keehoe,

What were you thinking about when you did that?

Please do not mistake foolhardiness for being a bold experimentation, you're killing your shrimp unnecessarily!

Sheesh....

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    As Kenny said, that's a foolhardy thing to do. But what's just as bad is you're not using your spellchecker. For a moment, I thought you kill your hydra through sheer willpower.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    Hydra will stick on anything that don't move. Be it on the sand, glass and plants. I've not seen the freshwater hydra on snail shells where the snail tends to move around. But one thing for sure is that hydra will not hold on to shrimps and fishes.
    Skeptic that I am, I wondered if what Au said was correct. So I took some pictures this afternoon. Actually, what Kee Hoe has in his tanks is just a minor infestation. In one of my tanks now, it's a disaster zone . I have Hydra all over the shop

Here's the first picture of some elegant Hydra doing a dance just below the water surface:

I also found that there's a green Hydra. They must be vegetarian or something:

As Au said, they grow on plants:

But what Au didn't know is they grow on snails too:

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys,
    I'll raise hell if hydra takes a foothold in my growout trays or fry tanks. Not funny if those fry mean something to you and they do grow everywhere... even on snails.

Kee Hoe,
    Stop fooling around and just get rid of the hydra. It isn't difficult... you just need to know how.

Quit playing with chemicals that you can't control. If you're still having problems with hydra (and the other inhabitants are still alive), meet up with me.

You're raising some lamp eye fry and these pests aren't the best tankmates.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Guys, i did a total wipeout on the tank with acid. Didn't know the effect is so drastic. Well i suppose i over did that. I thought putting the acid in first will disable the beast so that it don't hold on to the net as i rescue my beloved shrimp. But it is all too late. I guess it have already ate so many of my cherry until their colour turn so red. FYI that is my shrimp tank that is infested with hydra. Next thing we can possibly try is Alpha radiation, if accidentally make a real hydra don't blame me. Any radiation used have possibility of modifying the gene of any species. if not kill on the spot.

Ron, i am counting on the days of my lampeye fry. They normally tail up after two days. So i guess die from hunger. They dont seems to show any interest on BBS.

The tray that had Aplochei. Stigmatopugus already been wipe out my hydra.
    Loh, nice picture. So nice that i begin to regret killing them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys, i did a total wipeout on the tank with acid. Didn't know the effect is so drastic. Well i suppose i over did that. I thought putting the acid in first will disable the beast so that it don't hold on to the net as i rescue my beloved shrimp. But it is all too late. I guess it have already ate so many of my cherry until their colour turn so red. FYI that is my shrimp tank that is infested with hydra. Next thing we can possibly try is Alpha radiation, if accidentally make a real hydra don't blame me. Any radiation used have possibility of modifying the gene of any species. if not kill on the spot.

Ron, i am counting on the days of my lampeye fry. They normally tail up after two days. So i guess die from hunger. They dont seems to show any interest on BBS.

The tray that had Aplochei. Stigmatopugus already been wipe out my hydra.
    Loh, nice picture. So nice that i begin to regret killing them.
    keehoe,

Why don't you just stick to the tried and tested methods suggested by many here, instead of blind experimentation?

Surely, simple medication would be easier to obtain than whatever radiation you can rig up right? Wouldn't be easier too, to remove the shrimps before dosing phosphoric acid, rather than the other way round?

If everyone can be a scientist, then I guess I needn't have to attend medical school to get my medical degree isn't it?

Trust us, I think Ron, Au, Wright and I would have gotten more than a century's worth of experience put together, surely our words are worth something right?

Sheesh, please do not confuse foolhardiness with enthusiasm...

Btw, I think BBS are too big for your lampeye frys, you'd need microorganisms like infusoria.

Cheers,

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Au SL

As far as I know, no fish will ever touch hydra.
    Unfortunately true of killies, but some, if not most, Gouramis seem immune to their stings and will eat them eagerly.

For the killifan, I still think a quick treatment with flubendazole o.e is the best way to go. Formaldehyde needs a complicated three-day process, and it will kill most of the microcritters babies may depend on. In that time, the babies will starve. Flubendazole may also kill them, so be sure to add some infusoria back when the medicine is removed or (as with formaldehyde) been absorbed by the organic debris.

Someone asked why no bbs for the first day or two. For me, it is a matter of getting less predation by larger babies. If only part of the hatch is able to swallow bbs, they quickly outgrow and eventually may consume the others. By forcing only microfoods for a day or two, the growth is evened out and the predation seems to be a lot less. Some. like many Lampeyes, may need it for several weeks before they can swallow Artemia.

Few killies hatch with any remaining yolk sack, so I usually use some Java moss with a drop of Liquifry #1 to generate a "bloom" of infusoria the day before hatching. That way, they have something wriggling right in their face from the first hour on.

An inch piece of iceberg lettuce leaf, floated in their shoebox, can keep a bunch of babies fed for a week if you have to be away. Be sure they get some window light (not direct sun) and supply gentle aeration. A few ramshorn snails will keep the floor picked up until you can get home to clean them up. BTW, snail feces come in liquid and solid form. The solid pellets are inert and never foul the water. Liquids released are the finest kind of infusoria food.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With regards to the lampeye fry, the stigmatopygus or properly known as Poropanchax stigmatopygus have really tiny fry just like their cousins Poropanchax normani and luxophthalmus.

Some of the lampeye fry may not be too enthusiastic about foods like BBS. The fry may seem large at times but it is the size of their mouth that is crucial. If they're big but have small mouths then BBS is totally out of the question for them.

Goodness, I've never used any acids in my tanks and have never regretted as much as you would have. Though I would not term it foolhardy, it was a really big mistake to have used phosphoric acid instead of flubendazole or fenbendazole.

That said, if you want to cultivate Hydra, set aside an empty plastic tray, throw in an infested plant or snail, then squirt in some BBS. I think your Hydra will be infesting the entire tray in no time. That is, if you have a fetish for Hydra that is.

I've never found any Hydra in my tanks so I'm grateful for that.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Wow, medical degree. Didn't know that being a scientist have to go through medical school. Regarding the Alpha radiation, well that was just a joke. Anyone with right mind should know not to make something to hurt themself.

Glad that we have a doctor in our forum. Should have climb up to my computer and request for a jab in the butt when i had diarrhoea two days ago.

For the doctor and everyone else. Thanks for all your help. I have a tray with one hydra near my toilet bowl. Will flush the stupid tray full of mosses and hydra away if i get sick of them. Going to clean up my tank and gravel using clorox and vineger.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kee Hoe,

Please do not be offended when everyone is trying to share their experience with all of us. This is very rude of you.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, medical degree. Didn't know that being a scientist have to go through medical school. Regarding the Alpha radiation, well that was just a joke. Anyone with right mind should know not to make something to hurt themself.

Glad that we have a doctor in our forum. Should have climb up to my computer and request for a jab in the butt when i had diarrhoea two days ago.
    Haha,

Well, I know nuts about Alpha radiation to think that was meant as a joke! But then again, anyone in the right mind would not have used a caustic solution like phosporic acid with cheished inhabitants in the tank!

A doctor ain't no scientist too. But what I'm trying to illustrate is that, it is important that you should know the basics of certain things before you conduct an experimentation of your own.

You can't simply plunge in armed with just your own conjecture and hope that your enthusiasm carries you through. If you want to conduct experimentation on medication usage on your fishes, you must at least know some basics about fishkeeping, and the disease/problem you're treating, before doing so. That'll at least minimise the endangerment to your fishes' and shrimps' lives.

Please do not think that I'm putting you down. It is just that from what I've seen in you postings, you need to be brought back to earth a little.

Btw, go contact Ronnie, I'm sure he has something for you.

PS. I'm a practicing dental surgeon right now, and have given back quite a fair bit of medical stuff back to med school!

Cheers,

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Don't meant to be offensive but catching unknown number of baby cherry shrimp off a "small tank" of that size really beats me

Feedback Score
    Formaldehyde needs a complicated three-day process, and it will kill most of the microcritters babies may depend on.
    If you are not terrified of formaldehyde you should be.

There are 3 organic compounds one should avoid at all cost. These are:
    1) benzene (a PROVEN carcinogen)
    2) formaldehyde and paraformaldehyde (a PROVEN mutagen)
    3) methelene chloride (the leading cause of liver cancer in organic chemists)

tt4n

Feedback Score
    Yes, that is the reason that i would only use that as a last resource shall all things fail. I would rather they die then let them create deform baby which i have to kill them myself. Two days ago i did some research on formaldehyde and it was classified as pollutant.

Further searching on subject of Hydra and ways to remove them reveal someone had successfully remove these beast with drop of PH from 6.8 to 6 after than 6 to 5. Follow by water change and bring the PH back to normal.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well,

IMO, all the issues of medications like flormaldehyde being a carcingen and mutagen, is a tad bit overhyped.

Sure, that's true. But then again, alot of medication does have its side effects as well. Some of them, if overdosed, would lead to liver toxicity and nephrotoxicity.

The key to using medication, is not to avoid them totally. But given proper adminstration, they can prove life saving and therapeutic.

If fomalin is as lethal as it is made out to be, then I must have been turned into a mutant ninja turtle or something, having been sleeping amongst formalin soaked cadavers for years!

That's why some of us are quite adverse to giving medication to hobbyists, as if they're not careful and not aware of the potential harm it can cause, the abuse can be detrimental to the whole hobby, especially so when a resistant strain of the pathogen is created.

I'd say that if you can get your hands on the proprietary medication sold in the LFS, and follow the instruction written, you and your fishes should be safe.

Cheers,

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Well. Kenny, at least one thing i know for sure is that you mean well. For my fish, shrimp and pocket at least.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well. Kenny, at least one thing i know for sure is that you mean well. For my fish, shrimp and pocket at least.
    Keehoe,

Phew, and I was wooried that you get offended by what I said!

No worries mate, let's all learn and share together in this hobby!

Cheers,

Kenny

Feedback Score
    Hahahaha, Anyway i am asking my sister to bring me some of these medicine. Hope she don't forget about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12