Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Eggs in the can should be repacked to smaller individual film canisters. Wrap these canisters in a few sheets of newspaper and store this package in the veggie compartment in the refridgerator.

Only one canister should be kept out for hatching purposes. This canister should be allowed for cooling to room temperature before the eggs are scooped out for hatching. The rest should remain in the veggie compartment until required.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Another trick that has worked for some, here, is if the cysts come in a metal can.

Poke a tiny nail hole near one edge of the lid, and close with the fitted plastic cover that usually comes with them. The can can be used right out of the refrigerator, by pouring out a day's supply directly from the can. Even with your high SG humidity, it should work if you do the pouring in or near the cold air of the refrigerator.

The tiny nail hole prevents enough moist air from entering the can to prematurely trigger the hatch process.

I have not done this myself, so limited liability should apply if it doesn't work for you.

Refrigeration is unimportant enough that I use this technique but don't put the can in the refrigerator. Once warmed and opened, I just keep the can near my hatchery for regular use, and only leave my unopened cans in the refrigerator. In my experience, the cysts seem to survive up to a year or so at cool room temps without a big drop in hatch rate. SG may average a bit warm for this to work, there.

Baby food jars are the best temporary storage containers for the fridge, BTW. The lids screw on and seal very tight.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    My eggs came in a resealable pouch type thing.

BTw, I ran a test run with the eggs in a sweater box(so certainly not the most efficient incubator) and they started to hatch in 9 hours or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12