Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Unknown Liverworth

Unknown Liverworth

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    in another forum I found some pictures of an unknown liverworth. These are the pictures of it:

I don't know what it is but I'm relatively sure that it is no Monoselenium tenerum because it's too small. It's also no Riccia fluitans because only emersed riccia develops such short thalli. But they are much smaller than the ones of this liverworth.
    He said that the brown thalli on the 3rd picture should grow in the soil, similar to roots. Normally liverworths and othe kinds of mosses develop rhizoids but there seem to be no such tissues in this plant.

I asked him how huge his liverwoth is and where he got it from. I'll post all new information here. Perhaps I can get a small portion of it, which I would like to send to Loh K L, so that prof. Benito Tan could take a look on it.

Does anyone has any idea which species this could be?

best regards

Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Robert,
    The liverwort looks like Monosolenium tenerum but it is really difficult to id from photo. The size of Monosolenium tenerum leaves depend on the growing condition. When I got mine from the shop they were really big but now they small but healthy. I heard there is a 'small pellia' but we will need Prof Tan to sort out their true id.
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Hi Gan, the onwer of this liverworth confirmed today that it is no Monoselenium tenerum because he also has this liverworth and looks totally different from the unknown liverworth in his tanks.

regards

Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've seen the Mini-Pellia sold in Mermaid fish shop and it looks somewhat like the plant Robert showed us. There's no way to be sure until we show some samples to the professor.

Robert, if you're sending the plant, please hold on to it until after the Chinese New Year. The professor is somewhere in the United States now and won't be home until the festival is over.

By the way, for what it's worth, it should be Liverwort and not Liverworth

Loh K L

OK Loh K L ,
    I'll write it without the "h" from now on. I wasn't sure how to write it and thought it's worth to write it with a "h" .

Best regards

Robert

Feedback Score
    hai all

im from indonesia.....
    i think most of indonesian call it "CAKRA MOSS"
    u can see it in many LFS in indonesia,and the moss is very green,not pelia i think,not either mini pelia....its very cheap,in indonesia u can get it only Rp20.000 (SGD 4 ) per 10x10 cm ,but its a very large amount tto cover driftwood,because the moss is very easy to plan,......easier than java moss......

so, i look your pic and iam sure the name is CAKRA MOSS,Tropica also call it like that(because i saw a moss like that sold under tropica brand for SGD 50 dollar in LFS in indonesia.....

CMIIW

(cant wait to know how will be the scientific name will prof gave)

regards

anggi

Feedback Score
    Well you know now a of good way to make some money.