Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Moss article is finally out !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs budak
    - When the work comprises an article in a periodical publication
    the whole of the work
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    I guess if it's okay, I will make photocopies and send to those who are interested
    Folks, aren't periodicals published in volumes and issues? If the moss article is part of an issue, what is considered 'a fair dealing'?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs budak
    I've always been under the impression that as long as it is for private study, and no more than 10% of the volume or chapter is photocopied (for a book), there's no copyright infringement.
    You're sure about this, Mrs Budak? That's news to me.

I guess if it's okay, I will make photocopies and send to those who are interested. I can't send to everyone, of course as the postage costs will kill me. But if you're a regular on Killies.com, you're on my list. Dennis, Mark, you'll be among the first.

Loh K L
    Yes KL, I have heard this at the NLB copying centre. As an extension, then it is OK to scan 10% too
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Yes KL, I have heard this at the NLB copying centre. As an extension, then it is OK to scan 10% too
    Choy, I haven't seen the magazine yet so I don't know what other articles are there. I'll photocopy only the Moss article which probably is 10% or less of what's in the magazine. The other point to note is I won't profit from this. Heck, in fact, it's going to cost me some.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Choy, I haven't seen the magazine yet so I don't know what other articles are there. I'll photocopy only the Moss article which probably is 10% or less of what's in the magazine. The other point to note is I won't profit from this. Heck, in fact, it's going to cost me some.

Loh K L
    I have a copy, I'll send you after I make a scan. It is not very "scientific" looking, just to set the expectation right
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Apart from the Singapore Scientist article, is Prof. Tan preparing any paper on these recent bryology findings, some review of SEA aquatic moss genera plus description of the new species?? I would imagine that's where the detailed morphological descriptions and systematic discussions would be.

I guess if it's okay, I will make photocopies and send to those who are interested. I can't send to everyone, of course as the postage costs will kill me. But if you're a regular on Killies.com, you're on my list. Dennis, Mark, you'll be among the first.

Loh K L
    I think having the real magazine would be more unique and worth it. And I think it benefits the company itself, how many people actually buy and read science magazines?

Dennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have bought one copy straight off the shelf from SSC this morning. A very well written article on mosses.

Just to set the perception right - There is only this one article on mosses in this publication of the Singapore Scientisits magazine. Hope that no one is expecting a magazine full of many other articles on planted aquariums.
    William

'History'
    My New 4ft Setups
    My Gems Tank Project

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    Apart from the Singapore Scientist article, is Prof. Tan preparing any paper on these recent bryology findings, some review of SEA aquatic moss genera plus description of the new species??
    Budak,

The last time I met the professor, he mentioned something about working on a book with someone from the university. My memory is no good but I think he said something about "Mosses of Singapore". Aquatic mosses will only take up a chapter or 2 of the book, I suppose.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi, fellas,

I like to help you all but I can't photocopy (it's not right) and I can't send a PDF file. For those who live in Malaysia, I will send a copy of the mag to "Wat the Fish?". If you live far away from Kuala Lumpur, that's too bad.

Tell you what, fellas. The professor will be home after the Chinese New Year, sometime in the middle of February. I'll talk to him and see if we can work out something to help you guys. Best is if we can get permission to reproduce the whole article here in this forum.

Loh K L
    Hi Mr. Loh,

The problem is, Terry or the owner of "What The Fish" only allow us to read in there. I wish I can have a copy and read it when i am free. Anyway, I placed an order in Gan's thread about this magazine. Hope to get it soon.

Btw, I am going to send you the mosses tomorrow. Being busy with works. So sorry for the delay.

Regards,
    Dom
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    GOOD News ! We have received permission from Prof Tan to distribute softcopy of the article. We will post the file on this site in the next few days so watch this forum !
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Yaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Feedback Score

:)

Boy! G-o-o-d!
    T.H. Kim

"Oh, God, thy sea is so great, and my boat is so small..."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Click here to view the moss article published in the "Singapore Scientist" magazine.

Note that the article is provided for personal viewing and must not be copied, distributed or reproduced without the permission from Singapore Science Center.
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    very very nice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    A great article. Now to see if I really have multiple types of moss or really only one - in my tanks.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12