Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mini Pellia

Feedback Score

Mini Pellia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just bought a pinch of this "mini pellia" from Mermaid today. Cost me 2 red notes for a 20cent coin patch!!! *ouch* I was just wondering whether if this is a genuine species by itself? Or is this just a variation of the normal Pellia (monosolenium tenerum)???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Possibly an environmental-induced variant of this species. It has been seen in the water lettuce aka Pistia stratiotes, which has two forms, one in the curled up form and the other as a small, flat-leaved form.

In wrong conditions the plant may somehow retard in growth in become slightly smaller in size. This may be the reason for this "mini pellia" becoming so. That said, I'm not sure if the price you paid was worth it but then again life is full of What Ifs.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I forgot to add this. You can always snip off a small tiny piece and send it to KL for identification via Prof. Tan.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Which is what I am going to do Oh well, hopefully I can propagate more of this in my office tank and see how it grows out to be

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I think your so-called "mini-pellia" is similar to the species now being offered for sale here but they are calling it "Giant Riccia" ............ LOL!!! Incidently, in one of my experiments with mosses, I scrapped some kind of liverwort from my potted plants and tried them submerse and the result that I got was something quite similar to this so-called "Giant Riccia"

Would have posted the picture here but somehow my IT challenged mind cant seem to figure out just how to do that here

Cheers,

KG
    Who is the more foolish, the fool or he who follows him!
    Tan KG

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kimco
    Hi,

I think your so-called "mini-pellia" is similar to the species now being offered for sale here but they are calling it "Giant Riccia"

Cheers,
    KG
    I've seen the so-called Giant Riccia before. Their true name is monosolenium tenerum. This pellia is much much smaller and has nice little fronds exactly the same shape as the normal pellia.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Joe's right. The so-called Giant Riccia is Monosolenium tenerum, incorrectly known as Pellia endiviifolia until Tropica clarified the mistake. What's still a mystery though is which plant is P. endiviifolia? Could it be one of the few mysterious liverworts appearing in the market recently?

Mermaid World in Ang Mo Kio sells the Mini-Pellia that Joe bought. Somehow or other, people are still fond of the Pellia name, even after Tropica's clarification. You don't have to send me any, Joe. When the professor comes home after the Chinese New Year, I'll go and borrow a few tiny pieces of the Mini-Pellia from Mermaid World. It's a beautiful plant, I must say. I would have bought some if not for the fact I'm a stingy fellow.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Mini Pelias are downright gorgeous, have only seen them online but never in shops, I wonder why is that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Mermaid World in Ang Mo Kio sells the Mini-Pellia that Joe bought. Somehow or other, people are still fond of the Pellia name, even after Tropica's clarification. You don't have to send me any, Joe. When the professor comes home after the Chinese New Year, I'll go and borrow a few tiny pieces of the Mini-Pellia from Mermaid World. It's a beautiful plant, I must say. I would have bought some if not for the fact I'm a stingy fellow.

Loh K L
    Actually Kwek Leong, I'm also a stingy fellow I actually thought it was expensive but NOT THAT expensive so I asked Melvin to take out some. Then he told me $20. Oh well since he has taken it out, I thought I might as well give it a try

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The mini 'pelia' also have the same characteristic of its brother Monosolenium tenerum. They grow mini hair-like roots and will attached itself to the piece of driftwood that you tied to. Beautiful plant, expensive, propagate real slow.

edwin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, folks,

I went to Mermaid World just now and the owner, Melvin Lim kindly gave me permission to take the pictures of the plant. Here they are:

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Very nice pellia!!! The fronds are so small and pretty. It took Melvin 1 month plsu to grow to that stage. And the price was pretty staggering when I asked

Feedback Score
    ~drool drool~

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    That plant is stunning! I, too, will drool on that fine plant.

Feedback Score
    Hi Guys,

A couple of months back I saw some liverwort growing around in a potted plant in a friend's house and decided to check if it is also aquatic in nature. This is how it looks now. It really look like mini-pelia to me. What do you think?

Another view

Cheers,

KG
    Who is the more foolish, the fool or he who follows him!
    Tan KG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    KG, it's hard to tell from the pics if yours is the same plant. Yours could be the normal Monosolenium tenerum. I know it can be found in Malaysia, mostly near waterfalls. Anyway, your plant looks very healthy and if it's really the Mini-Pellia, you're sitting on a pot of gold

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Its been a week+ since I tied them to the wood. I noticed no growth so far. Hmmmm seems like it is super slow grower. Will update once I see some significant growth.

For those looking for some of this plant, Bioplast is also selling at the same price as Mermaid. Don't have to rush as this plant is not fast selling like our favourite moss

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by damnit
    Its been a week+ since I tied them to the wood. I noticed no growth so far. Hmmmm seems like it is super slow grower. Will update once I see some significant growth.

For those looking for some of this plant, Bioplast is also selling at the same price as Mermaid. Don't have to rush as this plant is not fast selling like our favourite moss
    hi,

It is actually not that super slow growing. Have been growing them since a year ago. Only need to watch out for algae ...especially BBA.

ps, got problem trying to attach photo here, so i link it to my photos in yahoo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/petlov...06.jpg&.src=ph

edwin

Feedback Score
    Finally took some pics of the pellia which has gronw considerably.

Nicely photographed Joe. Very pretty plant. So this would be different from Mono. Tenerum.

Regards,
    Dennis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast