Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Poropanchax myersi Kinkole

Feedback Score

Poropanchax myersi Kinkole

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Small cute lampeyes with big fin. Any expert care to bring that in?

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...she&1107311962

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Poropanchax myersi Kinkole

Quote Originally Posted by keehoe
    Small cute lampeyes with big fin. Any expert care to bring that in?
    Whew! ...for a moment, I read that as 'kinky hole'

Kee Hoe,
    Having just tried a few species of Procatopus and Plataplochilus, I realized that the handling is quite different from P. gertrudae. The fry is born quite large and long but have super-tiny mouths, and really need microscopic-sized foods for a good 2weeks before they're stable. Somehow, the supplied APR didn't work as well as I expected.

Instead, I'm now breeding and raising fry of Celebes rainbows (Marosatherina ladigesi - formerly Telmatherina ladigesi), which need similar fry-raising technique.

I must admit that the Poropanchax myersi Kinkole is very cute and tempting but I must exercise restraint until I'm more familiar with these species.

Besides, I can see that one of our fellow-forumer is already hot on it's trail
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ron, Do you have any species that born with small mouth that would not take bbs as their first food?

I need to practice on my skill before buying anymore of these eggs. It is quite sad having friends send in nice species egg but not able to secure any. I am sure my distant friend would share the same feeling too. Now i still have possibly 2 species with 3 tiny fry that i am trying to findout what food they don't mind eating. I need something that float and moving about 5mm below water surface. They take BBS but only when they are near water surface. Most of the BBS i harvested sink. After more than a month these fry is still fry where as their younger brother Notho already mature and making next generation. Perhaps i should try hatch the decap bbs and feed them the those bbs that like to stay near water surface.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kee Hoe,
    In all honesty, I was waiting for you to ask but there were issues of pride that need to be put aside before help can be rendered. Yes, I did collect some eggs from the Celebes Rainbow and was thinking of you.

Why? It is obvious to me that you had the gusto to just jump into the hobby even though you're new, not just to killie-keeping but also fish-keeping. Experience (and alot of luck, sometimes) is what makes the difference, that you end up with adult fishes from eggs. Still, I appreciate that willing spirit... "never try, never know".

The Celebes Rainbow eggs will start you off on that track. They don't take to microworms and BBS because they sink. Decapped BS eggs just float and then deteriorate. Vinegar eels and paramecium is most likely to work but my cultures aren't ready. OSI's APR (Artificial Plankton Rotifer) which the gertrudae consume (but reluctantly) is almost ignored.

I may have stumbled on something that *might* work best for those species you couldn't raise (neither could I, so don't feel so bad).

Just let me know when you wish to collect the 'kamakazi pilot' eggs.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This Poropanchax should be similar in care with respect to its close cousin Poropanchax luxophthalmus which is easily found in SG.

I believe turaco aka Gan can explain further on the raising and care of this more common species.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have some Pseudomugil gertrudae which I bought it from Eco. A very pretty fish I would said. Recently, I shifted them to a small tank in the office, hoping to spawn them if possible.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Poropanchax luxophthalmus: That was quite some time ago..

No tricks, use aged aquarium water, add small amount of green water & moss(Back then I've no paramecium culture). Ignore till they are big enough for bbs Guess I was just lucky. But I've lost this species eventually .

Added info: Lampeye will lay lots of eggs on the sponge filter when condition is right. Fry are pretty active.

I'm raising another tiny fry species at the moment, Leptolebias minimus. This is what I do: Use a small container & put in not more than 10 fry per container with some moss. Add snail. Pour small amount of paramecium culture water directly everyday(That was what Au taught me, before, I use the vineger eel harvest method. Too troublesome). It works! Fry survive rate is much higher compare to using big container with more fry. Ron, I believe the culture I've passed to you is ready for use. Just top up clean aged water to keep it going. Give 'food' for your culture once every other week. Filter the culture water when it get messy.

BTW Ron, the Celebes Rainbow eggs I begged from you had turned into snowball- white .

Kee Hoe, hope this helps, we must dare to try & dare to error. Sometimes it can be very costly though .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gan, if you wish to try out with adults of the Celebes Rainbow do contact me. There's still several pairs left at the shop where I got these from.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Hi, thanks all for help. Yesterday i cook some cabbage and banana skin (not sure what is the correct name for it) and put them in age water in separate tank. After that, add 5 drop of milk + aquarium water + very tiny pit of yeast. Today Woala, the tank water turn cloudy.

Well, use turkey buster to suck some cloudy water into fry container.
    Looks like they eating something. But best of all, using the decap egg to hatch brine shrimp. I use turkey buster to harvest BBS from the top of hatchery for the Lampeyes fry and bottom harvest for notho fry. They Bite. For some reason, some BBS prefer to be near water surface. I suppose those are the good swimer. Vinegar eel doesn't looks delicious. Will only use as last resources to keep the fry alive.

Also just manage to find/ get live blood worm. Those shop near Clementi don't carries that anymore. At least not intensionally (sometime tubiflex worm sold by c328 do come with a few bloodworm). These is for my juvenile killies. The comment is: By all mean avoid using that. It sting like hell. Lost one fish as they turn the water bad so fast that i never expected. The fish love bloodworm but doesn't have appetide to eat more than one. Frozen bloodworm (Hikari) is still easier to manage. Live bloodworm can turn water bad faster than dead tubiflex worm.

Ron, pride issues i still have. But I have to admit that i am newbie amoung all of you. It is not because of pride that i doesn't ask you for the beautiful species that you and everyone else has. It is just not right taking advantage of others hardwork. So must try my own, think through, research enough before i ask. (Some time due to work pressure/ time limitation might still ask for quick solution) In other internet forum, those people who ask for solution must first show that they have done some research or put some thought into what the solution possibly is. Else the standard answer to their quest is: RTFM.

The fry seems unwillingly take a bit of 9 in 1 artificial artemia and ignore all the other dry food i trying to feed them. (Including cyclop eeze, Multi-vitamin enriched daphnia from hikari (dry)/ Hikari tropical flake etc etc). When they are big enough, will put a small guppy to teach them eat dry food before i pop them into my planted tank. But will keep aside a pair or two for breeding/ distribution purpose. Thanks Ron, will ask you for some egg when i am back from ChineseNewYear's break. Maybe next gathering.

YangYang, Similar they might be. But definately harder to catch with bare hand. Look at their fins, sure speedy runner. I practice catching fish with wet bare hands. The fish don't struggle so much if you do that and put a finger covering its head/ eyes from light. The more the fish struggle, they more ammino acid buildup (aka stress).

Thanks Gan, one more things to add. Raising Lampeye must use round container. They wouldn't knock their head on the conner as often . My fry like to run around in the container. Sometime run 3, 4 laps before they stop and look at the food.

Feedback Score
    My fry like to run around in the container. Sometime run 3, 4 laps before they stop and look at the food.
    Hehe that's funny. I guess they're practicing to become athletes?
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    I have found many species of Lampeyes like some current in their tank.

Some will get chronic columnaris infections of the lip from banging into things. It is a white fuzz that David Gurr used to call "busted lip disease."

With a good flow from a powerhead, preferrably near the surface, they will congregate in the current and also will try to find places to inject their eggs in or near the flow.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Thanks Wright, i will becareful of that. My problem is if i introduce "current" into their tank, the fry will have difficulty finding food.

Deborah, that is what i had in mind when the fish keep circulating the container for no reason. ( I was looking at them from some distance )
    The only reason i can think of..... Practice for Olympic or that is their way to express their joy. In Malaysia, my maid do that too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by keehoe
    Raising Lampeye must use round container. They wouldn't knock their head on the conner as often . My fry like to run around in the container. Sometime run 3, 4 laps before they stop and look at the food.
    Kee Hoe,

Some time back, someone who works in Underwater World as a diver told me a theory - He says fish grow faster in a round container. The logic behind the theory is that when the container's round, the fish don't know where it ends so they think they're in a large container. Fish in large containers definitely grow faster than fish in small ones but I'm not sure if they're so easily fooled.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Someone needs to start making oval shaped fish tanks!
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Wright, Can i send your god son to you to train them run 4 X 100(cm) relay?

Feedback Score
    Loh, you are right. I think this is how they successfully breed salmon in ocean farm. The container have to be ralatively large compare to the fish size and intelligence. But they have to adjust their diet with heavy metal to make the fish stupid also. Maybe thats why salmon from these farm have higher percentage of Mercury.

Feedback Score
    Here are some pics, courtesy of Chuck Nishihira:

Hoping I do well with these.

Regards,

Bill Ruyle