Country
    Malaysia

Vivarium/Paludarium.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Is there anyone into this kind of setup?

It is hard to get the info about this kind of setup online. Mostly are in German or French. Anyone in here able to help out?

Btw, below is my 2ft and nano setup...

My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Dominic, I once had a paludarium. Worked pretty well until I decided to tear it down and go for a full aquarium.

For most of the plants, as long as moisture levels are kept to a proper level most will do well. I prefer the use of Tillandsia species in such tanks. Ferns and other epiphytes will also do great in such setups. Terrestrial moss can also be used to superb effects in the paludarium.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Rivulus would probably be quite happy in that paludarium of yours... They only need to stay moist. Give them a puddle and they will probably breed!

tt4n

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Vivarium/Paludarium.

Dominic,
    I have a 48"L x 18"W x 18"H tank that has paludarium written all over it but it's still on the drawing board.

Besides 2 rather huge pieces of driftwood that has plenty of 'pockets', nooks and crannies, I was thinking of including aquatic plants that I've been growing emersed (ferns, crypts and echinodorus) but final plant list will depend on available budget. If it shoots sky high, I'll go with terresterial plants that don't require alot of light and care.

There will also be moss (not sure which type) that will have water fed via drip irrigation tubes, connected to a distributing 'octopus' (8-outlet distributor) and concealed pump. I might consider cork bark for background and will have killifishes, of course , in the shallow water column.

As I said, everything is in planning stage but unlikely to work on it till after the Lunar New Year (it's killie breeding season now, so I already have my hands full). Will update again when I begin the project.

BTW, you've got 2 nice tanks going! (but I suggest lower resolution images for future updates... it takes a long download time for those on dial-up connection)
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi

It is hard to get Tillandsia in Malaysia. So far i saw once only in Cameron Highland. But I am lucky to get a type of Tillandsia last year. Still trying to figure out what is the actual name of it.

Beside that, I bought 2 types of Bromeliad. Going to convert my 6ft fully planted tank into this kind of setup after cny. :P I am getting tired to maintain the planted tank. Especially 6ft. I believe this vivarium setup much more easier to maintain.

Rivulus look aggressive. What is the maximum size it can grow?

Btw Ronwill, i will resize the pic in future. So sorry about that. Btw, would you mind to post some pic of your setup? I need to learn from the expert like you...

Cheers,
    Dom.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, a good choice of mosses would be the Thuidium spp. for the "land" section and perhaps any of the usual mosses like Christmas, Taiwan or even Singapore Moss in the water section.

In other words, terrestrial moss for land, sub-aquatic mosses for the water section.

Dominic, the Tillandsia aren't native to Malaysia I think. We have a local company dealing in Tillandsia so its not too difficult to get here in Singapore. Bromeliads are good choices for a paludarium since they will do well in such humid conditions. I guess if your choices are limited, choose the easily available species that have a tendency to creep. Ferns would be good.

For Rivulus, they aren't too aggressive. Depends on the species. Smaller species like cylindraceus will max out around 2.5cm or 3cm thereabouts. Larger ones like hartii can max out at a larger size, perhaps around 7cm. I'm not too familiar with Rivulus species though.

Perhaps a better choice would be to obtain some clown killies. They're surface hugging species and would certainly love such conditions.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Dominic,
    If you want to know more. You can go to Planted section in Arofanatics.com Wild ginger is the 'expert' on the subject matter.

Jack

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi,

Thanks for the info. And yes, i am getting Philip (Wild Ginger) to teach me in this...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dominic,
    These are the 2 pieces of driftwood that will form the focus point of my pending paludarium.

The flat top will be raised, in line with top of tank, and covered with a 'toupee' of moss.

These natural 'pockets' will hold emersed crypts and ferns.

Angled 45º away from the corners, seem to give the best perspective within a 4ft tank (should ideally be at least 5ft since these woods are huge!)

Have yet to pick them up as I'm revamping my setups at home. More pics when possible.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, are you still contemplating the use of corkbark? With those two driftwoods they seem a little large. Probably a half-cut from the top making one side flat would be better. In other words they'll be placed right against the flat rear glass panel, creating a 3D effect. With cork bark placed effectively that would be a major plus point in the final design.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jian Yang,
    I will use corkbark if it doesn't cost me an arm as it's easy to stick/staple/slot plants into these backdrop. These look more natural too but if the project proves too costly, I'll make do with an array of taller emersed plants to hide the rear glass panel.

As for placing the 'half cut' piece of wood against the rear glass, IMHO, it won't creat the effect I want (cannot be sure until they're in the tank). Besides, that triangular empty corner is where I'll be hiding the powerhead, distributing 'octopus' and whatever else that's needed (bear in mind that this is my first shot at such setups)

The 4footer has an all-acrylic hood that hold the lighting and has two 'doors' that I can lift open for feeding/maintenance but the open concept tank is more appealing. I suspect also, that once the taller piece of wood is in place, the hood won't fit properly either!

I'll keep reviewing the drawing board but only time will tell if I'm doing it right.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Ron,

What type of soil/substrate are you going to use for the setup? I am using the "holland sand" which used for the planted tank for the bottom layer. Then use the garden soil on top of it for the plants. Is that ok?

Cheers,
    dom

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v619/itssg/Balcony/

My collection of bormeliad, tillandsia, guzmania, mountain orchids and cryp. species ready for the setup.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dominic, nice collection or should I say selection of plants.

The type of substrate used should be one that provides good drainage. The sand might work but over time it may compact and become one hardened block. Maybe a larger particle size type of gravel might work. Like Lonestar.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Jian Yang,

I am using the 'holland sand' at the bottom. Then garden soil on top of it. hope my plants growing well. I was relocated the tank n rescaped the setup again. Will snap some picture and post in here.

cheers,
    dom

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    The 2ft tank was rescaped last time. Just managed to get the small pump in there. Else my moss going to dry out. Almost all the plants in there are collected from riverside, roadside and trees.

[/img]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Dominic,

As long as the plants seem to thrive and show no side effects, the sand substrate might work. Some of the plant farms I've been to seem to grow their plants in a fine-sand type substrate. Usually enriched with chicken manure, especially for emersed cultivation. The plants grow like weeds.

Nice setup there. Just one point, the central piece of driftwood seems a little too large for the tank in my opinion. Anyway, what works for you will always be the best. Enjoy the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi,

Yes. Personally i am feeling that wood is too big. May be plants not enough. Looking for some air plants to hang there. Looking for some small orchids to enhance the color of the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    I was spent a little bit of time after lunch to pay a visit to the flower nursery near my office. I was there few days ago and bought a tillandsia and bromeliad. Again, I got a small pot of Cryptanthus and an orchid on wood. The 'makcik" * told me a funny name which I can't remember. Anyway, Just S$2 for the Cryptanthus and S$4 for the orchid. Beside that, I have some free fern which I found under the big tree. The ferns are in green and a bit of metalic blue color. The picture below shown is some other kind of orchid growing next to the fern where i found them.

*makcik=Malay language. Mean auntie.

Feedback Score
    Couldn't find an answer to this googling. So what is Holland Sand?
    Being from holland, I feel quite curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast