Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Growing Weeping Moss

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    You people and your mosses continue to make me soooo greedy. I wonder and I wonder why are my mosses taking such a long time to grow and grow and grow, and than they get infested by algaes so a restart is required .

But these look great. Allthough the utricularia is a pest indeed.
    Regards, Lisette

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSing
    My weeping moss wall is constantly getting attacked by utricularia. How do I get rid of this stuff? I remove it but it keeps on coming.
    I'vethe same problem with my moss wall too, Dennis. I don't know how the Utricularia got into my tank but it must have come with the "Dragon's Claw". Wish I could grow that one instead.

As far as I know, there's no good method to remove the weed other than to physically pluck them away, one strand at a time. If you leave just a little bit of it behind, it will grow into a big bunch in no time. It's very frustrating but at the same time, it can also be very therapeutical, in the sense that although it takes a lot of patience and tedious work to remove the weed completely, it's also a labour of love.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    It's very frustrating but at the same time, it can also be very therapeutical, in the sense that although it takes a lot of patience and tedious work to remove the weed completely, it's also a labour of love.

Loh K L
    Looks like we both have something in common for I too, feels the same way. The taiwan moss which you sent me was infested with utricularia which came with my cendol grass (Dragons claw). Its become some sort of an escape for me (from wife, sons, house chores etc stress) to sit in front of my tank and remove those strands, one at a time, that goes on for hours. It has become my time alone/my space! Funny, though it is quite frustrating to keep on doing this, deep down, I harbour the hope that I have not completely clear up all the pests.............. LOL!

Cheers,

KG
    Who is the more foolish, the fool or he who follows him!
    Tan KG

Feedback Score
    Here's my weeping moss that grows upright. I just got a few strands a few months back and now the moss are picking up in term of growth as I black out the whole tank for a week recently. The tank was attacked by hair algae couple of weeks back. As you can see in the picture there are still a few strands of algae here and there.

Now I wonder if my weeping moss is the real mccoy or some weeping moss wannabe. KL, is this something like yours?

regards,
    JS Tan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hemiolopterus
    KL, is this something like yours?
    It looks similar to mine, JS but the ones in my tank have larger fronds. I've already sent some to you so you can make a comparison when you receive it.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    mine looked exactly like that in my non-co2, very lean fert tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I bought some Weeping Moss from Beijing in early 2004 and grew it in a no CO2 tank in my office. For a long time the moss grew nicely with very big fronds but it does not 'weep'. The fronds are flat like Taiwan Moss. I thought I made a mistake and resigned to the fact that I have mis-id the moss from Beijing. 2 months ago, suddenly the moss start to 'weep' ! All of them started pointing downwards !! I was right after all ! I am not sure what caused the change but this just goes to show that mosses how variable mosses can be !
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    I'm so jealous that you got yours to weep. Mine just grows massive amounts of fronds. I guess I have to wait and see.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I just remember I shorten the lighting period from 9.5 hours to 8 hours 2 months ago as I will be travelling and away from my office most of the time. I am not sure if this is the trigger but you might want to give it a try.

Feedback Score
    This was originally sold to me as "willow moss," though it seems obvious it's not; which I knew at the time but still bought because it looked different. After seeing everyone's photos here, I think it might be weeping moss.

It doesn't curve as much as some here, but there is a definite downward arc. Sad that such nice growth should appear from moss attached to a filter.
    --Steven

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    weeping moss seems to only weep when it is established. Initially, it just grew outwords similar to most other mosses.

1st5pmmefreewillowmoss

Quote Originally Posted by greenmiddlefinger
    This was originally sold to me as "willow moss," though it seems obvious it's not; which I knew at the time but still bought because it looked different. After seeing everyone's photos here, I think it might be weeping moss.

It doesn't curve as much as some here, but there is a definite downward arc. Sad that such nice growth should appear from moss attached to a filter.
    Hi Steven,

You probably already know this but just thought to show a couple pictures of willow moss. Here is how it looks, my willow moss wall.

A close up

A wall

Hi Tony,

I'm not sure what you meant by established but here in the same tank is newly tied weeping moss thats been initially somewhere else in my tank and its drooping right from the start. This moss has so many ranges of growth.

This is at about a month or less.
    [/img]

Feedback Score
    Thanks dennis. *sigh* the tips of your moss looks a lot pointier than mine, so maybe it is a different moss? This stuff confuses me soooo much . . .
    --Steven

Feedback Score
    Here is my shrimp tank with weeping moss now(from Dennis originally). The left is a weeping moss wall. The dwiftwood is also covered with weeping moss. The tank still gets no CO2. It does look different from that in a CO2 tank.

a Virgin nerite on the weeping moss
    Sha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sha,
    That is a lovely no-CO2 tank ! We rarely see red plants in such tank.
    What is the red plant you have at back and do you dose fertiliser ?

Feedback Score
    thanks, Gan. The red plant is Ludwigia arcuata. It does very well without additional CO2. I dose the same ferts as in CO2 enriched tank, just less amount: KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4, Flourish.
    Sha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That's a lovely tank, Sha and to think you did it without using CO2. Amazing but it reinforces what I believe about mosses - that CO2 is beneficial but not essential. I would like to know what's your temperature though.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Loh, I set the heater to 75F, but room temp is hotter in summer. I saw the tank thermometer at 80-84F last few weeks. I do think mosses like lower temps, I tried some mosses in my high tech discus tank, but they don't do very well and attract lots of algae, summer temp 85-90F.
    Sha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123