Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How to achieve what oriental does?

I know this moss is around, and whenever I send/sell this moss,
    I try and ask the reciever to give me updates on how their moss
    is doing. I rarely remember or rarely get updates.The best updates
    I have gotten were Mr. Loh's photos and Gan's beginning photos, other
    than that I don't know how this moss is growing in other people's tank.
    I've had this moss for about I think 7 months now and I have a lot of it,
    but I can't seem to 'make' it look like Oriental's. This has been my main
    goal out of aquarium so far. Any other moss I think I have reached my goal
    at one point or another. Any tips?

My weeping mosses

Oriental's weeping moss

Thanks,

Dennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    My weeping moss looks exactly like yours and I got mine from Loh. I too wish I could achieve the OA look.

Tank specs:

60 gallon
    4 48 watt florescents
    ph:7.0 - 7.2
    kh:15 degrees
    gh: around 21 degrees
    nitrate: dosed to get 5-10ppm
    phosphorus: 2-5ppm (I ignore the N to P ratio)
    potassium: unknown but is dosed through potassium nitrate and mono
    - potassium phosphate
    co2: pressurized w/plantguild internal reactor

I know, its the only moss I have trouble with. What are your tank specs Gomer?

Regards,
    Dennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer
    I too wish I could achieve the OA look.
    So what's the OA look supposed to look like? I don't know what you guys are complaining. Your moss looks great .

Tony and Dennis, I don't know how Oriental does it but I know what you mean. When grown well, the Weeping curls and wraps itself around driftwoods. I can't achieve that look in my tanks too. The best I can do is to keep the moss alive . I'm growing the Weeping as a carpet now. Will show you all when they're ready for pictures.

Loh K L

Hi Dennis, WOW!!!!
    Your moss looks really great! I wish mine would do so. BTW, I still did not get you packet yet.
    I got some Weeping moss a few weeks ago from Mr. Loh. It grows but very slowly and some parts are brown, too. This weeping effect is visible, the branches start to bend. But They are too small to ge the same effect like Oriental's does. The new branches start to bend from the stalk onwards. It's hard to describe in a foreign language for me. I'll try to take some close-up shots soon.

regards

Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Growing Weeping Moss

Quote Originally Posted by MrSing
    How to achieve what oriental does?

I know this moss is around, and whenever I send/sell this moss,
    I try and ask the reciever to give me updates on how their moss
    is doing. I rarely remember or rarely get updates.The best updates
    I have gotten were Mr. Loh's photos and Gan's beginning photos, other
    than that I don't know how this moss is growing in other people's tank.
    I've had this moss for about I think 7 months now and I have a lot of it,
    but I can't seem to 'make' it look like Oriental's. This has been my main
    goal out of aquarium so far. Any other moss I think I have reached my goal
    at one point or another. Any tips?
    Dennis
    HI Dennis, May i know what is the temperature of your tank.

Are they keep constant?

Thanks
    TS
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

This is what a nice guy from Oriental responded to me a long long while back.
    Mr. Unni Krishnan wrote:
    Dear Mr.Singh,

How long you have been growing this moss in your tank? Scientific name of weeping moss is Vesicularia ferrieri. Are you sure you have the right one ? If u are very sure about it, generally it grow downwards in 4-6 weeks time. In my tanks I have not encountered this problem so far. I use very soft water GH around 5 and KH 3in my tanks. But, that may not be problem because this moss is very adaptive.

rgds,

Unni, Oriental
    Mr. Loh,
    I am sure that a lot of people have it, but it doesn't seem really talked about. I think the moss is very nice too, but call it tank boredom and I've always wanted it to take form as Oriental, that is like ultra nice.

Robert,
    I think it got lost or something, its been 3 weeks now so I don't think it will get there. What I did was box it all and declared it as vesicularia scientific research, let me know how I should send it and I'll send you another packet, probably pm me best.

TS,
    My temperatures are very very constant. On colder days it gets to 19 degrees Celsius, on the norm its 21 degree Celsius.

Regards,

Dennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dennis,

To answer Mr Unni's question, what you have in your tank is the genuine Weeping Moss. The ones I gave you were grown from a bunch given to me by Oriental. As for it being common, the Weeping Moss is still sold at high prices so many people still do not have it in their tanks. I'm referring to hobbyists living in Singapore. You don't know how lucky you are, Dennis

Loh K L

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Dennis,

To answer Mr Unni's question, what you have in your tank is the genuine Weeping Moss. The ones I gave you were grown from a bunch given to me by Oriental. As for it being common, the Weeping Moss is still sold at high prices so many people still do not have it in their tanks. I'm referring to hobbyists living in Singapore. You don't know how lucky you are, Dennis

Loh K L
    Haha, I actually gave that whole bunch to CS. I have no doubt that it genuine though, I purchased them from Gan and Tan. I was actually wondering about the hard water vs. soft water. I am very lucky .

Regards,
    Dennis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have the same problem too. I have a tank which the moss curls down while in other tanks they don't. I have this strange feeling that there could have been a mixed up of identity !
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Here is my little office tank ....ever so slowly growing in with no CO2, non high light, lean ferts (I wanted it low maintenance LOL)

The moss is weeping moss from Loh, but strangly, it grows like erect moss LOL

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tachmentid=748

That is a pretty little tank Gomer. Is that HC in there? Weeping moss will start growing that way, perhaps for you, you just need to wait longer until it starts to droop downwards.

Also I've always been curious on the technique of growing algae nicely just on rocks, anything to that, or you just scrape off whatever you don't want?

Regards,
    Dennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer
    The moss is weeping moss from Loh, but strangly, it grows like erect moss
    Nice tank, Tony. What's there is Weeping Moss alright. It sort of curls upwards slightly in the beginning but will start to droop when the fronds become longer.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I got a bit of weeping moss from Dennis(MrSing) a few months ago as a plant exchange. I put it in a tank with no CO2, kh=4, gh=8. It has been growing slowly but steadily. The moss does grow weeping down for me. I had enough recently to make a moss wall.

I don't have much moss yet, but here are some photos showing the weeping growth habit:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice tank, Shalu. We would be most delighted to address you by your real name if you would signed off with one

Your weeping moss is coming along nicely. Be patient. When the fronds become longer, they will curl and wrap themselves around the driftwood.

I saw what looked like strings on your filter inlet and outlet. Did you tie moss to the equipment too?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    My real name is Sha Lu
    Yep, I wrapped some around the filter intake tube and heater just recently. I used thick, white cotton strings and afterwards, I found out I have thinner, black string, oh well, LOL.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You have a heater in your tank, Sha Lu . What's your temperature like?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I set the temp at 75F, about 24C. I am not in Singapore, so room temp can be below 20C
    Sha

Here is an update on growing my weeping moss on wood. I am more happy with the results. Things that are different transitioned HOB filter to eheim cannister, softened the water a little bit, and changed the substrate from coral sand to ecco-complete. Oh one more thing that I thought was pretty big as well, instead of tieing it all thick, just a simple layer this time.

Best Regards,
    Dennis

Feedback Score
    Looking great, Dennis. Well, my weeping moss is sticking up instead of weeping down now
    Sha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast