Thread: HDB moss

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Erh.. if they don't look nice, maybe should call it poor man's moss.

In water, they grow differently and the leaves stretch longer.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This is what I found....

anyone tried to grow this??
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've grown the "Bukit Timah" moss before on a mesh side-by-side with Christmas moss. They look very similar except the Bk Timah moss is lighter green and has a softer texture. The fronds are just as long as Xmas moss. I grew them in a tank in an aircon office with DIY CO2.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    zac08, the Bk Timah moss I had does exhibit such a morphology. I think it is the emersed growth form. When submersed it is like the xmas moss. Try planting in really cold water 24-26C which I had great sucess in my aircon office.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Where did u find the moss?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well there's a guidebook on the various liverworts and mosses of singapore. it's published by the Science Centre and u guys should get hold of one. anyway, collecting a small amount would be fine but what KC suggests when he says "just in case i need alot for a backdrop" is not very encouraging. take only what is enough, don't plunder the whole population of mosses. just my feelings.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    zac, i've seen that particular moss before but frankly speaking, i don't think these terrestrial mosses will do well in the aquarium unless u actually found them growing in the water itself.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To me at least, I felt that the real fun behind planted tank is the process.

Getting a small amount of plant type, havesting and replanting the havest is alot more fun then getting it done all at one time. I have about 40% free space more reserved for my havest and 20% for any new plants that could catch my attention and from the rate my plants is growing(they seems very healty, some of my plants grew about 4" over night and can see whole stream of uprising fine oxygen bubble through out the day)I need not worry about feeling them up.

I believe most of the working adults here can afford to start off a tank and fully fill the tank with plants since day one... but where can you find the fun of planting then?
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Agree on wat Goondoo said!
    When i first started on planted tank, i bought a lot of plants to fill up the tank since day1. but now i oni buy oni a little and juz leave them there till they fill the spaces and then start the trimming.
    Tats the fun part of hafing a planted tank to me. Waiting & see the plant grow in our tank. A lot of fulfillment in it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well that's what my crypts are doing now. slowly spreading. but painfully slow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Stormhawk,
    Enough is enough. What is enough for you may not be enough for others. .

To do a background. You can only do it a one go. Right? Beside, you can't imagine the size of the moss patch I found. It enough for a 6ft tank and my tank is only 2.5ft. Beside, these are weeds to HDB. Who knows, their workers may clear them away.

And don't worry, it was just a thought. I may not even proceed with the idea. In case I do, I will harvest carefuly and make sure they can re-grow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kc, well if u can make em re-grow then u'll have an inexhaustible supply of moss. if the patch is that big as u have said then they'll grow even more if u clear any other vegetation around them. talking bout making a background at one go.. well getting the amount u need to practically say um, lightly cover the background would take some reckoning on your part cos they might not be fully aquatic. but of course u could create a mini-vivarium or paludarium. i had one once, fun to look at. oh yes i just recalled, after i read the guidebook, the researchers said something about harvesting a small patch. these mosses are very fast in spreading. so u could collect perhaps small bunches of them. but then the patch would look like a bunch of potholes. oh well, if they'll grow they'll grow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lady and gentlemen,

The Moss is more the 3 week already and doing well in my tank, except that it doesn't look anything like Christmas or Java moss. It looked like.. well aquatic plant lah! I don't know how to describe it.

There is still a glimmer of hope though. Chrimas moss in my tank also don't look it christmas moss either!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, any pictures of your moss submersed? I'm trying to grow some I found but them are growing really slowly. Did we get the same type?
    Cheerio!

Edmund Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12