Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simpsonichthys zonatus rescue effort

Feedback Score

Simpsonichthys zonatus rescue effort

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The recent report on the SAA list that the type (and maybe only) location for zonatus has been destroyed has caused us to start a rescue/maintenance effort for this species, so they will not be lost to the hobby.

This is not a major refuge project for reintroducing them anywhere. Once their habitat is gone, reintroduction just means creating another "exotic" that may have undesired consequences on other life forms.

The effort will be led by me, for now, with support from the Killifish Conservation Committee of the AKA. Dan Katz is SAA coordinator for that Committee and Charley Nunziata heads up KCC. They will coordinate our efforts and keep loose track of who is volunteering to raise the fish at any given time. I'll report to Dan from time-to-time (but he will be one of the volunteer breeders whom I shall endeavor to keep informed, too).

The AKA doesn't expect the breeders to join AKA for such a project, they just provide the archiving and other administrative support, based on quite a bit of experience, to make it work out OK. They designate species appropriate for KCC as "Core Species" deserving extra attention. Usually those are pretty, easy fish that can bore the experts and suddenly disappear because no one bothered to keep them going. We lost several species to that, in the '70s and '80s.

We won't try, as a museum or government preserve might, to keep a stud book and do a lot of paperwork. This is a hobby and not our life's goal.

Breeder's will be asked to commit tank space and effort for a period of two years or more to keeping the species going in their tanks, distributing them to local clubs and shows, and doing what is needed to be sure our grandchildren can see a live Simp. zonatus if they want to. When the volunteer burns out or want to move on, she/he agrees to distribute fish or eggs to a successor who has volunteered to join the effort. During their tenure, they also agree to exchange eggs with other breeders to keep a minimal genetic diversity going within the effort.

I'll probably set up a small, private e-mail list so we can keep each other informed. We should share any info on husbandry so all do well. I have found that is the easiest way to keep six or more breeders all on the same page and pulling for the same result.

Right now I have two US volunteer breeders (Dan and me) and one each in Brazil, France and Italy (your friend Tyrone). My first big task will be to find current breeders willing to sell eggs to the volunteers who need them at reasonable price. Only one of the volunteers currently has them and even I haven't had them for over two years!

Since I see that they have been listed as extinct in Singapore, it would seem to be a good idea for the local group to select a volunteer who has had some success with SA Annuals, and has the tank space and desire, to be your local breeder/distributor of these fish. I'll try to find her/him some eggs at less than Aquabid ripoff prices. While I believe we should all pay for our original stock, I'll twist Charley's arm to get AKA to pay for egg exchange shipping between members. Basically, that would cover any extraordinary expenses you would have over being a simple individual breeder.

LMK what you think.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    I followed this subject in Cynolebias.
    I am willing to participate in the effort if any eggs comes my way.
    But I have to admit that I try to keep any annual species that comes my way.
    But so far I have not been so successful that I had to abandon any annual species.
    Erik Thurfjell
    SKS 138, BKA 838-05, AKA 08998, SAA 251

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Wright,

I'm willing to join the maintenence group. Just point me to the breeder and I'll ge tthe eggs from him. :P
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Au SL
    Hi Wright,

I'm willing to join the maintenence group. Just point me to the breeder and I'll ge tthe eggs from him. :P
    I'm sure you would.

Since I'm looking for only one SG breeder for the program, right now, I'd like to hear a little from KL, Ronnie, et al if they think you are the locally most approved one. Welcome aboard (pending some local approval, of course).

I just put an appeal for eggs on the SAA list. I have not started to work on my US and European contacts, but expect some word on eggs in the very near future. I want to see that "EX" taken off the census listing for Simp. zonatus in SG.

Cheers,

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    YEah.!!!!!

Does that mean i can buy from Au soon?
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by whuntley
    Since I'm looking for only one SG breeder for the program, right now, I'd like to hear a little from KL, Ronnie, et al if they think you are the locally most approved one. Welcome aboard (pending some local approval, of course).
    Yes Wright, I'm here, but busy messing with the IOS setup.

In the background, a group of us are working on Genus & Species maintenance and appointment for co-ordinators. (Kwek Leong, you're not spared from conservation work but the details and recruitment drive will have to wait till Jian Yang return from holidaying)

Au is one of the core-members and his track record with SAA has yet to be matched by anyone locally, so it's a green-light from me.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by keehoe
    Does that mean i can buy from Au soon?
    Kee Hoe, I have other 'jobs' for you... so don't get so excited. Just keep a few tanks/partitions available
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wright,

As far as breeding Killies are concerned, Au has one of the best track records. I think he would be our best representative.

Ronnie, let me know what are the species you want me to maintain and I'll make space for them.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    That does it, Au.

You are now officially on the hook and I'll let you know as soon as I find out where to get eggs.

It was as I suspected, and I'm delighted. I'm sure you will soon be satisfying those local needs for Simp. zonatus

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by whuntley
    That does it, Au.

You are now officially on the hook and I'll let you know as soon as I find out where to get eggs.

It was as I suspected, and I'm delighted. I'm sure you will soon be satisfying those local needs for Simp. zonatus
    Hi Wright,

I'm glad to be a member of the maintenance group. :P Keep me posted on what I suppose to do from here onwards. I'll try to track down those who havr this species and I'll try to get some eggs to start the ball rolling.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Congratulation Au.

Ron, my "set" of 3 4-feet tank is ready. Doing some experiment on top tank with top filter + under gravel filter combination. While the bottom tank researve for Notho which prefer still water.

Whatever i can do to help, just let me know. But not those endangered species please. As putting them under my care will endangered them to the fullest extend. But i am learning by mistake and i am much better than when i were first started. Now maintaining two 3 species with Rivulus cylindraceus 'Al Castro' joining the party real soon.

I short listed my wish list to about 30 species now. Will make more decision tomorow when i have time. Some of those in my list are: LAM, WAL, GAR P82 and ELB. Haven't figure out what "location" is available and i like the most.
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Au, looking forward to seeing some luck on your side with this species.

I failed the first time I tried this species.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all, decided to dig this thread out of the dust.

I have with me some eyed-up eggs of the Simp. zonatus "Guarapuava" that I obtained from Darrell Romine whom Wright might know. I will be wetting them soon in a few days time and if I am able to get any fry and raise them up to maturity, they will form the basis of my contribution to this rescue effort. I hope I have enough luck with this species that produces BLACK eggs and fry.. when newly hatched that is.

Au, how are yours doing? I hope you've obtained the eggs you required. Will be looking forward to seeing images from those.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm sad to report that the attempt failed. Wetted the eggs when I saw the eggs had eyed up. The fry hatched out as usual but were not able to attain free-swimming stage. They died in the peat. This marks my 2nd unsuccessful attempt with this species.

Feedback Score
    Sorry to hear that, Jianyang.

If I recall correctly, Guarapuava is the only location for Simp. zonatus. All our fish will come from there, whether or not they get to you with a location.

I'm still trying to get starter stock to all the participants from as many sources as I can, so we have the broadest genetic base possible for the species maintenance effort. We are the only real organised mechanism in the hobby to regularly exchange stock to keep up that diversity.

Wondering if Kate sent eggs to Au?????

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think she did and I think Au has eggs from another source as well. However this is just a guess on my part and you'll need to get Au to reply to this thread.

I'll skip getting fresh zonatus eggs from other sources for the time being. Have a small number of Simp. marginatus fry to take care of and they are really small. I get stressed when the fry are tiny at birth.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delayed reply...

I've received the eggs from Kate but the fry turned out to have the same problem as I got from another breeder... All are suffering from curve spinal. Anyway, I'll still try and breed them and if I manage to collect eggs, I'll see how the fry progress from here. With 2 attempts that the fry hatched out to have the curve sipnal problem leads me to think that the eggs of Simp zonatus do not travel well...

Wright, do you have any comment on this problem?

I've received another bag of eggs from someone in the States and I can only be able to tell of the fry is having any problem in 2 weeks time when they grow big enough. Let's hope for the best..
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    In my experience, bent spines are usually associated with a nutritional/mineral problem, and not travel conditions.

Having a reasonable balance of electrolytes in the water is the first consideration. Not enough potassium to balance the sodium ions, and/or shortage of calcium and magnesium may lead to such problems.

I'm not aware of anyone else having this problem with travel conditions of zonatus eggs.

Fish tolerate a wide range of ratios of those four essential electrolytes, but severe deficiency of any one or two can cause problems. I have seen more of this when folks use RO or DI water and fail to add back the electrolytes (Seachem "Equilibrium" o/e). It can also happen in very soft water, where sodium ions can become quite toxic. Feeding (salty) bbs is a particular hazard with low-potassium water.

I'm just guessing, of course. Remote diagnosis of such problems is worth about the same as free advice.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just a bit of info to add on - my first attempt, also with eggs from a breeder in the US, resulted in fry with bent spines that did not survive beyond the 2nd week of growth.

The breeder has disappeared from the scene and has still not honoured some outstanding orders that people had placed for his fish. I need not list the name.

Feedback Score
    JianYang, if you are talking about the same person that i have been waiting for. I would like to tell you that.... you have to wait a while more if you have already pay him.

He is working on the outstanding order.
    KeeHoe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast