Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Annual fish auction and workshop pictures

Feedback Score

Annual fish auction and workshop pictures

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    These are from the Raleigh (North Carolina) Aquarium Society annual workshop and auction that was held last weekend. There were various speakers, small mini auctions on Saturday, and the 'big' auction on Sunday. I had a great time, and was able to bid on and win two females and one male Fundulopanchax Walkeri G2/74.

Just a few pictures:

This was from a talk on "Master Breeders" by Randy Carey, and it was fascinating (all the talks were fascinating, even on Discus which I have no interest in keeping).

A table of stuff for auction

Another table of stuff and more and more

Native fish display. They had some pygmy sun fish that I really liked and was tempted to get some of!

My killies in a bottle -- I'm hoping they grant me 3 wishes since I let them out!

Fish being bagged for auction

Some folks oohing and ahhing over pictures of Discus -- they are from the various fish clubs in NC.
    Deborah

Feedback Score

Re: Annual fish auction and workshop pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Piscesgirl
    ... I had a great time, and was able to bid on and win two females and one male Fundulopanchax Walkeri G2/74.
    Hi Deborah,

Thanks for the pics.

That should be GH2-74. The H was missing and we have finally stopped use of the slash, as it kept getting turned into a "one." The location is (was) Kutunse. [Some spell it Kutunze.] That habitat was destroyed, some years ago. It was paved over to make a marketplace. Keep 'em going. OK?

Wright
    Former Core Species Coordinator for the WAL GH2-74 Kutunse, for the KCC.
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for sharing the event with us, Deborah. Sounds like you had a great time yourself. Any more details?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Sorry Wright, already messed up the name I'm hoping they do well -- I've given them a big PVC pipe that I covered with gravel, and a lava rock cave, and it the tank is jungle-full of plants. The smaller female is less scared of me, but none of them want me to take their picture.

Ron,

This was the schedule: I didn't go Friday (plus it was coooooold) and left around 4 pm each day -- it was a bit over an hour drive from my house. I leave my dogs inside, so I didn't want to be gone too long. If the weather was just 10 or so degrees warmer, I'd have left them outside. :

Friday, February, 25th
    12:30pm Native Fish Collecting trip - Meet at the Wake County Commons Bldg and return by 5:30pm.7:30pm Registration
    8:00pm Chad Bryant: Coral Propagation
    9:15pm Neal Isaacs: Marine Invertebrates in Aquariums

Saturday, February 26th
    8:30am Registration Begins
    9:00am Neil Frank: Grow Aquarium Plants instead of Algae
    10:30am Randy Carey: Practices and Qualities of the Master Breeders
    11:30am - Plant Mini-Auction (Club Items Only)
    12:00noon - Lunch (on your own)
    1:00pm - Tim Thimios: Discus - Care and Breeding
    2:00pm - Rusty Wessel: Collecting in Mexico
    3:00pm - Fish Mini-Auction (Club Items Only)
    4:00pm - Ken Davis: Unusual Livebearer Species
    5:00pm - Mike Hellweg - Keeping & Breeding Anabantoids
    6:30pm - Italian Dinner w/Randy Carey: Why My Hands Are Wet

Sunday, February 27th
    9:00am–11:00am – Auction Registration – (All items must be registered by 11:00am)
    11:30am – Auction begins.

It was really nice getting to hang out with all those fishkeepers. And, I met some folks I only knew over the internet. Prices were very low, so it was a buyers' market. Only thing I was really upset at not getting was a 4 gallon custom made tank. It was really nice, tall, and square shaped. I bid first at $20 and no one bid, he said once, twice, and then the bidding started! Acckk! I think I gave up at $40 or $50 can't remember. I'm not even really fond of the small tanks -- but it was just so nice looking. Spiffy. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't have been such a cheapy! Plants were in great condition and the prices were very good too. Too bad I really can't fit any more plants in my tanks!

I tell you it was also really uplifting to see all the young fishkeepers there. The little kids that I imagine saved up their allowances -- and were bidding on their own for fish they wanted. Fish kids seem to be such good people. It seems fish people in general seem to be such good people!

It's a yearly workshop/auction -- and I already can't wait for next year! My only wish is they would move it a couple weeks later so the weather would be better. There was snow last year, and this year there was a bit of icy rain Sunday night.
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Sorry Wright, already messed up the name I'm hoping they do well -- I've given them a big PVC pipe that I covered with gravel, and a lava rock cave, and it the tank is jungle-full of plants. The smaller female is less scared of me, but none of them want me to take their picture. .
    No problem on the name as long as we keep the right ones long, haul.

Get a soup bowl that had a cover (inturned lip) and put a Jiffy peat pellet, boiled and rinsed well, in it. They will spawn in the peat. Sunken mops work, too, but you have to pick the eggs and store them on damp peat anyway (more loss, probably). The inturned lip will do a surprisingly good job of keeping the peat in the bowl.

To get the bowl of wet peat into the tank, cover it with a saucer or large jar lid. When submerged and water is allowed to fill it, set on the substrate and slide the saucer off. Voila! No volcano of peat!

It's a yearly workshop/auction -- and I already can't wait for next year! My only wish is they would move it a couple weeks later so the weather would be better. There was snow last year, and this year there was a bit of icy rain Sunday night.
    Makes it tough to get fish shipped in, too. I'm worried that the Oregon guys set WCW too early (1st weekend in April), as we usually did third or 4th weekend to make shipping safer. Oh, well...

Wright

Who is enjoying an early spring! Rarely gets below 0C these nights. The desert is amazingly green.
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Folks,
    Contents of this thread deserves a place in 'Non-Killie'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wright
    That should be GH2-74. The H was missing and we have finally stopped use of the slash, as it kept getting turned into a "one."
    Wright, the slash gets worse when it's handwritten on a bag or label. It's also not possible to save images with "/" in file names which is why those in my HDD has "_" or "-".

BTW, any idea on the status of the 'Kutunse' [or 'Kutunze']. Pity that the habitat was destroyed but people gotta eat.

It was really nice getting to hang out with all those fishkeepers. And, I met some folks I only knew over the internet. Prices were very low, so it was a buyers' market
    Wow! I didn't realise the event was a 3-day affair and the schedule looks packed. It's times like these when I wished we could organize something similar [or lived closer to the USA]. I have a little bulb of an idea that's glowing in the back of my mind that will involve 2 LFS, but more on that later

Deborah, I notice it wasn't a 'totally-killie' event, but did you manage to recall what other fishes were put up for sale or auction, like diapteron or elberti? I plan to discontinue some lines so I can move on to other species, especially cool-water ones, when my peltier-chilled setup is ready.

Thanks again for the details.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Great pictures, Deborah. Thanks for sharing them with us. I think I spotted my good friend, Walter Wu in one of your pics. I wouldn't recognise him if not for the Hard Rock Cafe T-shirt he was wearing.

It's good to know that there are young people in the hobby. I've often thought, from pictures of conventions I've seen elsewhere, that fish hobbyists in the States aremade up of mostly old people. For a while, I thought that people like you and Wright are a dying breed

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Yep, that's Walter. I'd warned him I might post his picture around the web..hehe. He's in the Raleigh Aquarium Society and my fish club as well (Carolina Aquatic Plant Enthusiasts).

Unfortunately, there weren't many killies at all at the auction, and I didn't really take note of which ones. I was trying not to bid on this bottle, but my bidding number, despite the fact I tried to sit on it, decided it wanted to bid! There were some Australes, I remember, but few other varieties besides the F.Walkeri I bid on. Cichlids really were the predominant fish available, including a lot of Apistos. I'm not much of a Cichlid person, so I really was just chit chatting through all that. Discus went for incredibly low prices, mostly around $15 for some really good fish. I was really shocked at that. I guess there aren't enough Killifish people around these parts (or Discus for that matter).
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    BTW, any idea on the status of the 'Kutunse' [or 'Kutunze']. Pity that the habitat was destroyed but people gotta eat.
    The WAL GH2-74 "Kutunse" were one of the first defined "Core Species" of the Killifish Conservation Committee. They have been one of the big successes and are still being maintained by dedicated folks in the US and Europe. [All KCC breeders were US, last I heard.]

I was pleased to compare some current fish with some old photos by Col. Scheel, and was delighted that I could not detect any difference. Swapping stock and keeping the gene pool as broad as possible seems to avoid drift away from the wild types, even when those are only in pictures.

Wright

PS. Yeah, how did this get in non-killies, anyway?
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wright, Deborah, just moved the entire post into Killies Arena.

Anyway, the walkeri's a nice fish but like some species, difficult to obtain especially when breeders are unwilling to ship overseas.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    hehe this thread is making the rounds -- I thought I'd posted it in the chill out corner... :P

The breeders won't send eggs of fish like these Stormhawk? Or, are the eggs more fragile, difficult to collect?
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Deborah, I'm not sure why but some fellas are apprehensive to the thought of shipping eggs outside the States.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.