Country
    Singapore

Growing Riccia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I am intending to use riccia as a foreground plant. Does any one have experiences on it to share? Do i need to tie the riccia to a net/mesh ? or can I just plant it directly?

Any form of feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

regards
    Jonathan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jonathan,

you have to tie the riccia to something - driftwood, mesh, etc - as riccia is a floating plant.

You have to frequently trim the riccia as once it grows long, the undergrowth tends to yellow and after a while the riccia will be floating.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Riccia

Hi Jonathan,
    I bought the riccia that were already wound over driftwood with netting. Somehow, I left it unattended for too long in the tank and they have since dislodged, as zmzfam mentioned, due to lack of trimming.
    However, those that were left floating started growing fast, real fast.
    Some time back, I placed a netting over one portion of the floating clump, 1 marble weight over it so the net sinks slightly.... and it worked. After a week or so, the netting is "integrated" into the riccia, and I'll be able to wrap it over the driftwood again.
    Of course, the other way is to wrap the riccia directly over the driftwood with netting , and wait for them to grow thru it.
    Hope this helps,

regards,
    Nelson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zmzfam
    You have to frequently trim the riccia as once it grows long, the undergrowth tends to yellow and after a while the riccia will be floating.
    Hi,

I think frequent trimming will result in a lot of free floating riccia that will attach itself to everything in the tank making it quite unsightly. It is also quite a hassle to keep on scooping up all the debris from your trimming each time

Cheers,

KG
    Who is the more foolish, the fool or he who follows him!
    Tan KG

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Riccia

Hi,

Thank you guys for answering the question! Your help and experiences are greatly appreciated.

regards
    Jonathan

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    It is also quite a hassle to keep on scooping up all the debris from your trimming each time
    If the riccia is attached to something that could be easily taken out of the tank, the cutting should be done outside of the tank, perhaps in a bucket full of water, and then rinsed to get rid of the trimmings. I don't have any riccia--still looking for one at my LFS---so therefore have no experience with them, but this is just a suggestion and should be ignore if it's sounds absurd.

Feedback Score

Re: Riccia

Quote Originally Posted by jonpoh
    Hi,

Thank you guys for answering the question! Your help and experiences are greatly appreciated.

regards
    Jonathan
    Hi Jon. Roy here....why dont you try pelia (or mini pelia) instead....at least it sinks and you probably dun have to trim it that often too. You are into planted tanks too?? rgds.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi,

I saw from the Aqua Journal. Amano using the hair grass or moss to hold the riccia. What he done for his riccia setup is. He tie the riccia on a small piece of flat stone. Then planting the hair grass in between all the flat stones. Once the hair grass grown. The root will hold the riccia from floating.

Beside that, I had tried to tie riccia on top of the mosses. The riccia won't be so easily float. The percentage of getting riccia on hold on wood, rock or gravel. This method is higher percetage.

Cheers,
    dom
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com