Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: 1 liter moss tank :P

Feedback Score

1 liter moss tank :P

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    What do you guys think? It's the tiniest tank I can come up with!!

Moss was collected locally, so I'm not sure of the species.
    --Steven

Feedback Score
    I like it! What kind of fish are you going to put in there?

Jan

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It looks really cool from the top.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Mini Tank Moss

How small is that tank? Is it no bigger than an ash tray? Did you found it growing underwater? What island are you from? I didn't know that we have aquatic mosses growing in Hawaii. I tried looking at my local stream, but there is no mosses. I only seen eel grass, bacopa monnieri, water lettuce and water lily.

How long have you had this moss? Your set up is great for offices; or in the kitchen next to the window, making dishwashing more interesting. How often do you have to replace the lost water from vaporization?

Oh, I forgot...Aloha! And you should also sign your name or nickname in the bottom of your post. Or just typed your name as your signature so you don't have to do it everytime you make a post. It's nice to know local people from Hawaii. Good luck on that tank, "greenmiddlefinger".

Feedback Score
    Ah-hah forgot. Ok, I just put it in my sig.

As for the moss, I'm still crossing my fingers that it does well in the water. I found this species emersed, though you almost never see it except when the whether is SUPER rainy, like it's been recently. Then the fronds all fatten up and grow out. It looked like a moss that could survive underwater, so I tried it, and so far it's been really successful. Rainy valleys like deep in manoa are the best bet.

The tank is comparable to an ash tray, and has been set up since last tuesday.
    --Steven

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    So I'm guessing you are not 100 percent that the moss you have collected is aquatic, huh?

Steven, do you see other aquatic plants where you found the moss? I'm trying to find aquatic plants that are native to Hawaii that would be successfully grown in aquarium tanks; and I also wanted to know what other introduced aquatic plants growing in our Hawaiian waters. Whenever I see those floating, invasive plants I tried to get rid of it, but it keeps coming back.

I know that we have an endemic aquatic fern called “`ihi`ihi” (Marsilea villosa). I think I sometimes see this plant available at Home Depot or Lowe. This plant is endangered, unfortunately. Do you know anyone tried growing this plant on their tank?

Feedback Score
    Not 100 percent sure. XD

I'm pretty sure the only native aquatic plants we have are riccia, duck weed, and the marsilea. I'm sure marsilea could grow in an aquarium, and I plan on trying it someday.
    --Steven

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Riccia is native to Hawaii? I didn't know that. What about other liverworts? Like the pellia. Do we have those?