Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    The metallic blue fern is a species of Selaginella, a genus closely related to ferns, but having the misleading common name of club-mosses. Some species are often wrongly sold as aquatic plants.
    I was having a walk in Bk Timah Nature Reserve last Dec with Peter Chua and friends, and we noticed a variant of this Selaginella sp. lacking in the blue pigmentation. It was supposed to be unusual as the blue pigmentation helps the plant trap and use green light filtered through the canopy.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Here comes Mr Chit-Chat! ......

Several years back, I spotted a “wayward” baby bird’s nest fern growing by the wayside near my workplace. The problem was I had to walk pass it 6 days a week on my way home from work. And as the days went by, it somehow grew on me that I must have it or I would die from just craving for it. I wasn’t sure if it was alright to take it, but I did it all the same, at last. I had to stoop so low to uproot it. :P But in return, I showered upon it lots of TLC and 3 years on, it has blossomed and takes the pride of place in my balcony. I later had the chance to speak with the gardener in charge of the vicinity from which I “adopted” the fern. He told me that he would just rip off anything that’s not part of the approved plants/ landscape.

So, was I a plunderer or saviour to the baby fern? Use your brain. :P

And going back 10 yrs earlier, my wife and I colluded to pluck some overgrown “arrow heads” from the ground near our workplace (Now you know why it’s very dangerous to have husbands and wives working in the same place? ). But we knew that any runaway growth will be pruned without mercy and discarded by the gardener. So we got a bunch or two home and propagated it. It grew from 1 to 3 pots. I gave a pot to my mother-in-law who, in turn, propagated it and gave a bunch to her neighbour. Dispersal can only be good as it enhances survival of the species.

Do not forget than human beings remain an important vehicle for plant dispersal and propagation. Nonetheless, unless you have written permission, the “No Collection” rule at Nature Reserves should be observed. But taking some wayward plant or something that’s overgrown from the ground is quite a different matter and may have my approval under certain circumstances (“no-man’s” land only). Use your discretion. What is the likely fate of the excess or wayward growth if left alone? After all, for these small-time collectors, isn’t it the love of nature that prompts them to do what they do? We can only hope that this fledgling natural “spark” would mature into greater awareness for the conservation of nature at large. For me, it’s “A small theft for mankind, a giant step for nature.” Taking an overly legalistic stance may not be the way to go.

Anyway, those were the early days before “Plant Corners” sprang up at the supermarkets and more variety of plants became readily available for sale. Nowadays, I prefer to buy rather than take from the ground. I won’t dare to hazard another such attempt, even if it’s for the greater good. The truth is, I’m too afraid of being caught by some “no stealing from nature” guardian lurking out there.

Feedback Score
    I really think that Natural Researve is an education on attitude. More than rule and regulation on Action. Those with bad attitude will remain bad no matter what "Action" he made. Those with good attitude will take the plant and distribute around .

Would you send me some if you manage to culture them please?
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A quick addendum to mike: my own indoor garden boasts a number of plants that were 'picked up' by the wayside. Periodically I find pieces of plants (orchid stems, money plants, good luck plants...) lying on the ground or grass around the block. With some TLC, they grow back into potted beauties.

choy, I am sure there's plenty of variation amongst that Selaginella tribe. And pray tell what were YOU fellows doing up in the hill? just walking?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    aphy aka cy lim aka pauline. Why dare not to tell me you are pauline? Instead of telling my you are cy lim? hahaha... i believe you are the one who doing the same with me to the nature of mother all the time.

Please don't tell you are not. I know, you know and those went with you also know.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    choy, I am sure there's plenty of variation amongst that Selaginella tribe. And pray tell what were YOU fellows doing up in the hill? just walking?
    Probably searching for the proverbial pot of gold.

But seriously speaking, if Dr Chua was around I bet they would be looking for a new stream to have a look at.

Choy, probably the fern was an oddball species? If it was then it might have been a new species.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Good Dom, since you know (I've no doubt you'll be making checks anyway) but that's fine. Let's not argue like you said, after all was just a matter of opinion. If we harp on the issue, we'll never make progress, agreed? So long as the tiny bit you took is well cared for and propogated to reach the other hobbyists later, it's a noble thing to do.

Still not sure what you meant on that mother nature thing which everyone seems to be aware of.

CY LIM

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    haha...I am not the moderator or administrator of this forum. How to check? But the way you posting, i can have a good guess. So, CY Lim...such a stranger name to me in the first place. I was thought who is this coward and dare not to show the name.

You know what I am talking about. You are taking plants and fishes from the mother of nature as well.

I know there are different opinion or mindset from different people. I am not mad at all. Comments, opinions and suggestions from other people helping me to get myself improved. At least, there are some stress coming to me and made myself to contact FRIM personally.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Found this 'mini moss' was growing very near to the monolenium tenerum. You guys can see...it is really a small piece i took. (saw the snail on it?) Actually, there are few big pieces of this moss growing on the wood. But all them are very mini size. (The whole piece of wood are 90% soaking in the water which I can really move it at all.)

Sorry about the blur pic. Once it grow nicer, I will take the picture again.

Currently in my office nano tank. With temperature of 20C.

p/s: Rand, this is yr favourite!

Feedback Score
    Dom,

I hope you got your information from the right resources. Catching wild betta, yes I've done that once with my friends at a peat swamp. Aquatic plants, never.

Thought it would be a nice change to have a nickname since I'm involved in killie fish now. CY LIM is my name and so is Pauline. Heheheh, didn't think you'd be stressed out. Truce ok? You are doing a noble thing like I've mentioned for the Aquatic plants hobby. Just keep that up!

CY LIM

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by dom

Found this 'mini moss' was growing very near to the monolenium tenerum. You guys can see...it is really a small piece i took. (saw the snail on it?) Actually, there are few big pieces of this moss growing on the wood. But all them are very mini size. (The whole piece of wood are 90% soaking in the water which I can really move it at all.)

Sorry about the blur pic. Once it grow nicer, I will take the picture again.

Currently in my office nano tank. With temperature of 20C.

p/s: Rand, this is yr favourite!
    I'm looking forward to see another pictures. Good luck growing that plants!

Feedback Score
    I don't understand how you can think that just because some people are littering and spoiling the environment, we can't question or discuss the ethics of collecting from the wild.
    Budak:Im looking at a bigger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    True, but have you thought how you would be perceived if you attacked someone verbally without thinking of how they would feel?
    Stormhawk: I guess is a chain reaction. Maybe you should direct the question to Aphy as she made a remarked without thinking how other feels. She's not using malicious words and therefore it's acceptable? Like you say it's an individuals' own views, for me, I'm disturbed by what she had remarked, to me that is disturbing and as a reflex I reacted to it. I agree with what you said to budak where the line blurs between finding something new to grow and finding something new to sell. I know you guys are hobbyist that's why I'm angry when another hobbyist tries to make another feel guilty when he took some plants.

Timebomb: Thanks for being a understanding person. I wish others could see your worldly views. I agree with you on the fact that people are doing more damaged with the things they bring in rather by the things they bring out. This is what I'm trying to tell the people here. I would respect your judgement on Budak, if he's really into the environment, then good for him. I didn't say he point fingers at anyone, I'm referring to a poster before said who had aggravated me.

Elmike: Yes, my kind of thinking. Dispersal can be good as it enhances survival of species. I like your quote “A small theft for mankind, a giant step for nature.”

What do you know. I just discover at the end of the thread, the firestarter had been 'guilty' before for 'taking fish from nature'. Folks, you see what I mean by pretentious and hypocrite. Aphy, if you were half as concern for nature of Budak (according to Timebomb) I would have given you a chance. Now I know you are no angel. So please next time, think (guna otak) before you comment on others. Words could hurt others even if it's not malicious.
    Haris Ismail

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you Haris for the reply. I believe we should end the ruckus here at this point. Pauline has already handed out the olive branch so everyone else should reciprocate her gesture.

Now back to the actual discussion, the ID of the plants. If anyone has a tentative or a positive ID, any leads, links, pictures of similar or related plants please post your reply here. A civil discussion on the plant species that Robby and Dominic photographed and/or collected would be highly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dominic, do you happen to have a picture of the two small fish you caught in the small stream/pond? I might have an idea as to what it is.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Stormhawk,

After read your post. I quicky focus my camera to the tank. (It is just next to where i am sitting now.) Tried for 30 minutes. Able to get a clearer picture.

Any idea what is this fish?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Does it look like the fish above? If yes then it is indeed a juvenile Kelah, aka Tor tambroides. If not then maybe one of the other Tor species. I cannot make out the ID.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Stormhawk,

Mine is not so huge. The color is very silver. Mouth shorter. Heard a member who always went for netting said it is 'Cucumber fish'. It is under Kelah family also.

I saw there are a school of them. But they swim too fast. Spent 30 minutes and able to get 2 of them. They are now happy and living harmony with my rainbow and congo.

Feedback Score
    It is a big fish. It can grow to about 60 cm or more.
    I have a shoal of this fish in my pond.

Not recommend for planted tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Pah,

Nice to see your post in here. I think you better specidy your name under your post. Otherwise, it is hard for others to remember who you are.

Currently 2 of them I am having is around 3inch+. It they grown to 6inch. I will release them back to where i caught them. By the way, I caught few pieces of shrimp also. They are look like ghost shrimp. But with 2 big claw. After days I released them into my 6 feet tank. All of their claw gone. Just dont know what happen to their claw. But saw they using few of their small claw to clean my algae and some dirts on the leaves.

The color of their color turning into reddish and 1 of them turning into green. I will try to get their picture tonight.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dominic, in that case then it might be a young Barbonymus or a Cyclocheilichthys. One of the large Cyprinids. A sharp picture would be necessary for a positive ID.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast