Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Netting trip to FRIM.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After few times postponed. Robby and i able to get to FRIM - Forest Research Institute Malaysia. 13th March 2005. 10:00am is a good timing and good weather for us to have a trip there.

Once we reached the main door after get lost in the highway. RM3 per car per person. (If one more person inside the car, then gonna pay rm1 extra.)

From the main entrance to the nearby water fall is around 2-3KM. (We were thinking of walking in.) Once nearby the waterfall. There are hundred of people there. They are picnic, cycling, jogging, having fun inside the pond and water fall.

We just can't wait and park the car...then run over to the staircase like below picture. Honestly, this is not a nice staircase to step on.

While walking up, Robby saw an attracting lizard. It is just not scare of us. It won't move if we are not getting our hand near to it.

From the picture hardly tell the color of the lizard. But it is in metalic red and gold color. After us, there are 2 guys shotting the pictures of it.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    There is a water fall from the end of sky going down to the earth. We were trying out luck to check out some mosses on the rock and tree. Then stop at the water fall which just near to the staircase.

While i was taking some pictures of ferns. Robby found some fishes inside a small space of the pond. We were spent almost an hour to catch 2 of them. Forgotten to take their picture. They are in silver color on body. Yellow color of tail and fins. Look like small size of "Kelah".

Check out the color of the fern. It showing some metalic blue color. I didn't take any. Just love it hanging out there.

There are some other fern growing on rock and wood.

It should be nice for the vivarium or paludarium setup.

We can't really have luck here. Just found some dry mosses growing on the rock.

My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    After the end of the staircase, we found some nice plants which is very nice for my paludarium setup. Tons of them growing on the "wall"...(A big rock which just next to the staircase.)

Robby was helping me took some of them. We seal in plastic bag and continue to the deeper of the jungle.

Just after we packed the plants. We raises up our head and saw this moss (Peat moss?) growing on the tree. I look into some other trees. Found almost all the tree near that area growing with this kind of moss. After the pictures, we took some and keep it tight in plastic bag.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought you aren't supposed to take any plants or animals from FRIM?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Beautiful pictures -- Those rocks looked like they'd be great in an aquascape.
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    The plant that looks like a taro (the leaves with red veins at the center) I think is poisonous. If you have pets or small children, beware that they might eat them. That plant is readily available at stores selling plants. They have lots of variety to choose from and it’s also more colorful than what you found.

If I was at your country I would love to join hiking with you guys. It looks fun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    I thought you aren't supposed to take any plants or animals from FRIM?
    Actually you are right and it is stated in the ticket but over here, enforcement is very lax especially if it involve something as insignificant as mosses!!!

Just go to any of our numerous virgin jungle parks and you'll see much garbage littered all over and I've been to plenty in my monthly Hash Run

Cheers,

KG
    Who is the more foolish, the fool or he who follows him!
    Tan KG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    My internet connection was disconnected and unable to get it back. There are some pictures going to post.

Yes. We were not surpose to take anything. But when you saw the people picnic, catching fishes, pee, shitting there. Soon or later all the plants or animals going to die. So, why not?

Cont...

After the "Peat moss", we continue to go further in. And we found there are different type of mosses growing on tree roots and rocks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Saw rubbish everywhere. feel uncomfortable. Lucky, i bring along my own plastic bag and keep my own rubbish. So you guys, pls remember don't simply throw the rubbish.
    We just take a very little amount of mosses n plants.

This mosses really look like a Christmas tree. It is growing like a leaf. then another leaf is just 1cm away.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Robby found this very cute n nice look mushroom. (we didnt take...)

Then we found some mosses growing on tree root.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Just under the tree root. I found this small scorpian. It was look like never eat for days. Very small and slim. But it is moving... I place it back after taken the picture.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Rushing in office. I can't remember much on tht day. But we did spoke to one of the security guard after he found us taking the pictures and plants. First he was disallow us to take and asking us to put back the plants. I told him we are from Malaysia Aquatic Plants Association. We just taking a bit for some research. So, he said...fine and go ahead. But dont take so many. So happy... but next time must writing in a formal letter.

This is another mosses we found.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    And yes...this is the Monosolenium Tenerum i found on a big piece of wood. The wood is soaking in the water.

Beside that, I found some nice fern growing on the tree.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Just before we decided to go back. Robby found this Bolbitis look fern growing on a big rock wall. The water running from top to the bottom of the rock. So, this "bolbitis" can be consider half emersed and half submersed. While we just taking a small leaf to check through. A big piece of "bolbitis" just drop in front of us. Then the security guard said. just take...(so happy...but this is the last plant we discovered.)

I was keeping it in a pail. Just around 10 minutes. Some of the leaves which above the water level getting dry. The rest inside the water still looking fine. There is no direct sun lighting shotting on it. Anyway, i just placed them into my tank after washed. It is already 3 days. I can see they are bubbling and some small leaves coming out.

We are not so sure what plants or mosses we got. Just hope some other experts help to verify. I won't go there without any black and white next time.

Thank you Robby for your time and expertise on the Photoshop to enlarge the pictures.

Feedback Score
    As it clearly states, this is a Reserve Forest. The attitude of "just because others are doing it, the heck with it!" is what makes nature the way it is today. It's about taking responsibility and doing your part to preserve the flora and fauna to be passed on to the next generation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by aphy
    As it clearly states, this is a Reserve Forest. The attitude of "just because others are doing it, the heck with it!" is what makes nature the way it is today. It's about taking responsibility and doing your part to preserve the flora and fauna to be passed on to the next generation.
    It is Forest RESEARCH institute centre. Not the RESERVE. And I didnt see anything said it is RESERVED. The other not taking off the plants. but they just DESTROYING them.

And there is no one into mosses research in Malaysia. This is what i found from FRIM - Horticulture and nursery. Dr. Aminah. She advising me to write in black and white. Then she will assign her team members to me and assisting me. And I am going to do that.

I believe most of the members in here. They will just take some of the mosses or plants if they saw in any jungle. Eventhough that is RESERVED forest.

aphy, i hope you are not into planted tank. Because most of the aquaitc farm having their plants from the RESERVED forest. And this is what i found when i paid a visit to the aquatic plants farm. If you are buying from any lfs. That's mean you are indirectly taking the plants from forest as well.

And please don't hide behind your nick.

Feedback Score
    cis... bedebah, betul...

just join this forum and c this kinda thing. tell u guys the truth i hate pretentious malaysians. budak aphy, u said malaysian 'wot the heck attitude' r not acceptable. but do u tau, everyone including me n u r doing it even without realising it? so jangan be, hypocrite. i say lebih baik the moss taken to tanks... got more chance they survive than ppl throwing and polluting rubbish around the park.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so is it better then that everybody who wants a piece of the moss take a chunk home til it all runs out?

(anyone knows what is a rhetorical questions?)

Feedback Score
    im not sayin everyone do like that. that's why its a research centre. but if u wanna argue at that perspective, then evryone is guilty, lar. where is those plant u have in ur tank originate from? i just wanna make my point why pretentious people are hypocrite. if you r 101% pure nak save nature kinda person i would not argue wif u. but kita all sudah tak nature friendly u know and i would salute who can admit it. all i can c is, attitude nak glamour.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    budak,

I am not just go in the jungle and taking off all of them. I am just took a little bit. Yes. A little bit, the size is smaller than yr thumb. I do hope I can discover something new and share with everyone. Otherwise, I don't think anyone will do that. Perhaps, another 10-20 years only have a team form up to do the research.

I just hope you guys can focus on the pictures which we taken. Something you guys may not see in your country.

I will go there again and will still doing what i want. But, i won't share with you guys. since none of you guys appreciate. Those who interested into this. Please pm me.

Thank you guys for the comments.

Cheers,
    dom

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast