Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Please help to id this killies.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I just bought it from AI yesterday. Just the 1st day in my office nano tank. Still very stress in the cold water. Please help to id this 'fish'. (Don't know is it a killies or not.)

My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Please help to id this killies.

Dominic, I'm not sure but it resemble a young male Simpsonichthys constanciae.

Used to maintain them but many SG hobbyists won't give them a 2nd look since their colors and markings are very subtle, unlike their cousins Simp magnificus and fulminantis.

Give it time to mature. The spots will become more striking and fins has fine long extensions.

BTW, where's the female?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    It looks like the Simpsonichthys constanciae to me. This fish do appear in Singapore LFS once in a while. If I'm right the fish is from Malaysia itself. The farm who is distributing killifish to Singapore also keep alot of Nothos. They simply refuse to sell the females. But sometimes, they do distribute the female Simpsonichthys constanciae by 'accident'. Try your luck to find a mate for your fish. :P
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Ronnie,

Both of them also in same look. Is the female with different look? I was in AI and searching for them upside down. They are same tank with apistogramma and red lobster.

The stuff in AI dont allow me to remove the drift woods inside the tank. (Due to their expensive red lobsters. Said the lobster will stress or I will make them die after remove the woods. ) So, it is hard for me to get them out frm a 3ft tank.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Dominic,

As the others have mentioned it is indeed a Simpsonichthys constanciae. A young male probably.

As far as I recall, this species does not quite like a very low temperature. I still have an adult male in my 3 foot planted tank. He is the last of this species in Singapore.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    No wonder 2 of them not really like to move in cold water at all. I will bring them back for my 6ft then.

So this killies consider as "antique" of killies in Singapore? Just joking...

Cheers,
    dom

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes it is considered an "antique" species for Singapore. One of the first species to appear locally in a hobbyist's tank, the first of their kind appeared as eggs sent by Tony Terceira to KL.

From then it was passed to Ron, and then to me. It did not survive because of its lack of colours and most people did not like them. We had some extra pairs available some time ago but nobody took up the offer. Most died off soon after.

Space is a premium here so sometimes an unpopular species has to make way for a more popular species. This is a fact that we have learnt to deal with.

I am planning to re-start with this species in the near future though.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.