Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

shrimp with eggs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Some time ago, I bought 5 malayan shrimps with eggs. But up till now, I have yet to see any baby shrimps in my planted tank. So what happened to all the eggs? How long will 1 shrimp hold it eggs for before releasing them? How and where will they release them? How long will the eggs take to hatch? Will SAEs, small puffers, white cloud mountains, cory, platy or tiger and yamato shrimp eat those eggs?

Today I found out that one of my yamato developed a belly of eggs. Is it common? What do you all think will be the chance that I will see baby yamatos swimming in my tank?

Feedback Score
    i'm no expert, but my guess is that the females just produce the eggs, and it's up to the males to release their stuff onto the eggs, how i current;y sex shrimps is those with eggs (female) those without eggs (male) in the same tank at a fish shop. My guess is that the shipment came in to gether and the timing of the shrimps having eggs should be the same, so there are those with eggs and those without.
    This is a lousy way of identifying the sex, but i haven't searched the web on how to sex shrimp, or breed them.
    My guess is that just buy a whole lot of them and hope there are male and females.[]

Anyone care to correct me/add on/enlighten us?
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Pipsqueak,
    I also sex them by looking at the belly. I think most people do the same.

Illumbomb,
    The baby will only survive a few days if you are lucky. You can do a search in the forum for more details on how to breed them but so far nobody i know is successful.

But I can guide you on how to can see the baby fries.

First watch the females yamatoes closely. When their tummy is full of eggs and they start scratcing their bellies it means that they are depositing their eggs bit by bits

Put a transparent breeding trap into the tank. Do not use separate tank. You can put some plant inside if you want for the yamatoes to hid.
    Put in the yamatoes. It is important that you cover the top. They can crawl out!

By the next day, all the eggs will be deposited by the poor frighten yamatoes. You can then remove the mother.
    You can start to look for fries immediately as some may hatch already.
    Note:
    Most of the eggs will die because of miscarriage.

The fries are so small you may never see it!! Therefore it's important that the breeding trap is right at the front. You can only see them within 2 to 3 inches from them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kc,

You've managed to breed Yamatos? Did the fries manage to grow up? Because up to now, most of us believe the fries will only survive in brackish water.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I managed to keep them alive for few days only lah!

I method is just to show how to see the fries only because most of us never get to see anything as they are sooo small.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi KC

If you want to see shrimp frys,try keepin cherry shrimps.

Managed to keep and bred them. Currently i have abt 6-8 of them. However, when they were born, its so tiny. Probably abt 1mm big. So your fishes in the tank will just eat them up.

That is the reason why most of us dont see them in our tank. My was then a riccia tank with just tetras.

Happy frying!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry. I shud say when i found my fries, it was then abt 1mm big.

Probably its even smaller when born.

Feedback Score
    i had 50 shrimps in my planted tank , use to be able to see them , but after a while , they totally vanished in the jungle , only to remerged as dead shrimp ( always 1 a week when i add fert) thought i lost the shrimps , but lately , i found a few VERY VERY small shrimp , i would say its abt 2mm long . so im guessing they are babies coz i bought the shrimps 3 mths ago and all were quite big. the thing is , i have many fish that could eat the babies ( cory , tetra , SAE oto) but a few survive i think is becoz they had hiding place ( had this wood with a small hole in the middle , too small for even my small cory
    here fishy fish fishy . here shirmpy shirmpy here is my noobie tank(3wk)