Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: New Species - Need Identification.

Feedback Score

New Species - Need Identification.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Am seeking the gurus in here to help to identify these plants.

This is the latest plant - Cryp Balansae Red Species Var IDK. Need to know what is the actual name.

A closer look.

Mini Mushroom - Foreground plants

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the crypt should be just a subvariety of Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae. Crypts are very variable, so no surprise to see different leaves shapes, textures and colours exhibited in one 'species'. Exact ID is possible ONLY with the inflourescenes.. Do a search for Jan D. Bastmeijer's excellent Crypt Pages for detailed studies.

The small plant looks like Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides aka Hydrocotyle 'Maritima" (see Tropica website). Or some other Hydrocotyle.

Feedback Score
    Can't guarantee, but my guess for the Crypt is C. crispatula var. flaccidifolia. The leaves seem very narrow on that plant.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Budak & Slaigar,

The crypt's looks more like the Crispatula Var Balansae but the ones in my tank look narrower. The picture in Crypt pages show green in color when it is grown submerge.

As for the Hydrocotyle, the sibthorpioides aka Hydrocotyle 'Maritima" is the normal one the has about 5cm leaf size. The ones that I have the leaf is the size of a Green Bean or 5mm (+-). Some leafs are very small almost the size of a gravel.

Feedback Score
    The small foreground plant is Hydrocotyle verticillata. I have kept these plants before.
    As for the crypt, I got similar looking ones from Teo's , he mentioned it was a variety of balansae.
    Madan Subramanian
    Bangalore, India.