Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Auto refill system

Auto refill system

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,

I will be away oversea for one month. My tanks is rather self sustainable as it is mainly shrimps with plants and everthing seems pretty much in balance thus there isn't a need to feed or change water. But my only problem is as I use a fan to keep the water cool, the rate of evaporation need to top up every 2 days or the water level will be so low in the overflow filter that the pump will not have water to pump. So does anyone have any idea how to tackle this problem? An auto top up device?

Thanks.

Tong

Feedback Score
    Here in the arid SW US, swamp coolers are popular, and every hardware store has small float valves that are like a miniature of the kind that regulate water height in a toilet tank. Usually cost about US$3 or less.

Similar devices, built into a protective housing, and designed to hang on a horse-watering trough are useful for auto-fill in aquariums. Here they are in feed stores, but IDK, in SG, where you will find them. Usually cost US$15-20.

Refrigerator ice makers have an accurate cutoff valve for filling the freezing tray. You might see if one can be salvaged from a broken refrigerator and adapted to your needs.

Last, but not least, you could set up a toilet-tank fill system in a large garbage barrel, and arrange the surface to be level with your tank, so a simple siphon will keep the levels constant. PVC pipes, filled with stones or gravel can be used to make the valve sink and stay down.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Not too sure are you refer to this
    http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...ry_Code=Dosers

It can be easily build using 2 x float switch and 2 x relay.

http://livinglava.com/diy_float_switch.htm
    http://livinglava.com/diy_water_level_alarm.htm

But I like to have what Wright mention horse-watering device, I will go shop for it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/inde...showtopic=6143

You could purchase this with it's own container or you could get your own container eg large pail.

Hope this helps!

Mohamad Rohaizal.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Please note that none of my suggested solutions cost more than about US$15 and none use any electricity. Float valves are enough reason for reliability worry, without solenoids, switches, pumps and other potential failure mechanisms.

I would be very reluctant to pay $90 plus shipping and duty for something that relies on electricity, another pump, etc.

If your tank cannot tolerate the chloramine in small amounts of top-up water, my solutions are about $30 when you add the carbon filter (taste and odor) between tap and float valve.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In our toilet cisterns we have this float valve fitted in. Using a similar concept an auto top-up system can be done by use of a simple float valve without using electricity. Connecting this to the main water system, once the water level drops below the float valve's limit, it will automatically refill the tank via a hose connected to the mains system.

The same principle can be seen when we flush and afterwards the cistern is automatically filled up with water to replace the water that has been used in flushing the toilet.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.