Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Newbie Needs Help On Simpsonichthys trilineatus

Newbie Needs Help On Simpsonichthys trilineatus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi, im new to killifish and im going to be coming across some Simpsonichthys trilineatus eggs soon =P. Now dont get worried ive been keeping and breeding fish like discus for quite a while and a while back i looked into killies... anyway i fell in love with thier colors just like i did discus. but heres my problem being a discus fanatic i beleive in perfection of the hobby and fish environment, and well... i have a few questions about Simpsonichthys trilineatus, so i make sure i hatch and raise them and maybe even breed them so i can keep a constant stock in my fish room.

#1 avg. incubation time on wet or dry incubation? ( also: which do you think yields best results? )

#2 incubation temp, wetness, preferred medium (probably peat)?

#3 if wet incubation do i change water a few times daily... or on dry incubation do i have to dampen the peat now and then? and when incubation peroid ends on dry eggs how do i know they are ready, is there a visable embryo? do i place they ready eggs in water when the incubation period is ready?

#4 does food type/protien effect coloring on these fish?

#5 what are the usual breeding habits of annuals? how do i know i have a pair or are they like guppies (if they are in same body of water they are going to breed)? is it safe to have a few males and females in the same tank? do i need to use a different tank for growing out the fry?

lol sorry so many questions... i just want to make sure i do the best possible job in hatching/raising these fish

gimme as much info as you can folks... im a big sponge when it comes to my fish, and i have a feeling these little fellas are gonna be one of my favorites

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello there Tactics,

First of all, we would appreciate it if you could sign off with your real name and at least state your location. Thanks.

Simpsonichthys trilineatus is an annual killifish from South America so its incubation must be on slightly moist peat. Wet incubation does not apply to this species.

The eggs should be shipped to you in a bag of peat so incubate them in the very same bag. Check for development weekly and give the peat a short period of airing. Then close back the bag. Once they are eyed-up (the iris is a golden colour), then you start to wet them with cool water and an oxygen tablet.

Incubation time differs in different temperatures. For example, at 21 degC, the eggs may take up to 16 weeks to develop. At 27 degC, they may take roughly 8 weeks to eye up. Without details as to your current room temperatures I cannot make a calculated guess. Again I must stress that incubation times is a variable. Some eggs may take a year to develop while others may develop in as short as 6 weeks.

Annuals breed in a bowl of peat, which you then must collect, dry and incubate in a bag or container over a period of time.

Depending on the species in question, some males can be highly aggressive so smaller individuals should be given a separate tank to grow to their full potential.

It is safe to have a number of males and females in a tank provided the tank is spacious enough and there are a good number of hiding spaces like plants. Lighting should be subdued as these are shy fish and may not like bright lights.

Yes you need a separate tray/tank to raise the fry. You cannot raise them in the same tank as the parents unless they are of a good size that they can start feeding on worm foods. Too small and they run the risk of being bullied to death or preyed upon by the parents.

Good luck. Simp. trilineatus is a very beautiful fish.

If you have any further questions it would be best to ask the seller.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.