Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: qtns on killies

Feedback Score

qtns on killies

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,i brought a killi fish from an aquarium yesterday so how do i differentiate it's sex?
    Pardon mi for asking this question cos im new to this fish.

Rgds
    keep more killies

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi k,
    I am also new to killiies. But one thing for sure is that most of us do not buy Killies from the local fish shop. What you had just did is something that is not really approved by killies hobbysists.

May the moderators correct me if I am wrong in this aspect.

thanks

yours sincerely,
    Storm, Jeff

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by storm
    Hi k,
    I am also new to killiies. But one thing for sure is that most of us do not buy Killies from the local fish shop. What you had just did is something that is not really approved by killies hobbysists.

May the moderators correct me if I am wrong in this aspect.

thanks

yours sincerely,
    Storm, Jeff
    Opps, didn't know that there are golden rules for me to follow in getting my killies from a LFS. If thats the case where do i get "Approved" killies?

Rgds
    Ken
    keep more killies

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ken,

It is not so much you "shouldn't" get killies from LFS. But rather to be discerning where you obtain your breeding stock.

If you merely want to enjoy a pretty fish, by all means get them from any where. However if you would want to breed them, and distribute the progeny, then I suggest you get familiarised with the community here and how "things are done"

The main concern with the killifish hobbyists is the purity of the breeding strain. Unintended hybridisation is always a concern, and also the proper labelling of those breeding stock.

I will let the others bring you up to speed as I don't even breed killies. But be rest assured that if you are genuinely interested in this group of fishes, you have come to the right place.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    to be truth with u, i juz enjoy the colours that killies offers. So i would juz keep and study before going further in breeding the spieces. Nobody is a born genius right? everybody starts a hobby from scratch piror to starting one
    So back to my original question, how to differentiate the sex of a killies?

Rgds
    Ken
    keep more killies

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you will have to know your species first before sexing them. The main site (www.killies.com) has a gallery section showing examples of more common killie species. Have a read around the FAQs also..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by -K-
    So back to my original question, how to differentiate the sex of a killies?

Rgds
    Ken
    usually very easy, as female killies tend to be very much less colourful than the males. in fact it is easy to confuse females of related species as they are usually drab and look similar.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Ken,

welcome to the forum. Glad that you decided to sign off with a real name, but we also appreciate if you don't write your posts in sms language. It is a real turn-off here.

General rule of thumb in sexing the killies - the males are the more flashier while the females are a real drab. This is the reason why killies enthusiasts obtain their breeding stocks from a realiable source because you can't differentiate females of different species within the same genus - they all have the same grey colour. This is especially so when getting killies from lfs, you can get only the males and even if they do have females it would all be mixed up.

Some hobbyists here however, consigned their pairs to some reputable lfs. They would then make it known in this forum.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by budak
    I think you will have to know your species first before sexing them. The main site (www.killies.com) has a gallery section showing examples of more common killie species. Have a read around the FAQs also..
    dun seem to find them species that i have but i managed to find some quite similar with my killies colouration but my killies have a broader body thats all, izit because i brought my from a LFS so its not shown in this webby site? thnx for your reply anyway

Rgds
    keep more killies

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zmzfam
    Hello Ken,

welcome to the forum. Glad that you decided to sign off with a real name, but we also appreciate if you don't write your posts in sms language. It is a real turn-off here.

General rule of thumb in sexing the killies - the males are the more flashier while the females are a real drab. This is the reason why killies enthusiasts obtain their breeding stocks from a realiable source because you can't differentiate females of different species within the same genus - they all have the same grey colour. This is especially so when getting killies from lfs, you can get only the males and even if they do have females it would all be mixed up.

Some hobbyists here however, consigned their pairs to some reputable lfs. They would then make it known in this forum.
    Haha, sorry to turn u off with my posting no offence brother.. but i wonder how many times u got to repeat those sentences whenever a newbie comes in.. wonder if they are turn off by you also.. Just kidding Mod..
    Btw, thanks for enlighting me with your advices on killies.. Your the man here so where are the so-called reputable LFS? is the one at C328 an approved LFS certified by Killies.com or theres a better one out there So in my opinion we are still be able to get a female if we look hard enuff?

Quote Originally Posted by zmzfam
    but we also appreciate if you don't write your posts in sms language. It is a real turn-off here.
    Btw opps* i mean by the way the word sms is what language huh? Opps, no offence again

Rgds and Many Thnx
    Ken Loh
    keep more killies

Feedback Score
    Hi Ken, welcome to the forum. We do not approve or disapprove anything over here. Just that it is a common ethic that if we do distribute any killie without a proper tag/label. You should do the same also if you intend to sell/ give/ distribute your joy. That would provide the receiver as much detail of the fish as he can find on internet/ talking to fellow hobbist.

Those we get from LFS. We will label it as AQ (Aquarium strain). A lot of us have AQ strain species at home. If all of them agree to live peacefully together, i wouldn't mind dump all my male killies to one big planted tank for ultimate beauty. While still controlling the female. (Female fish are very difficult to differentiate from one species to another once mix but depends very much on the individual species.)

Only one thing we disapprove: That is mass murder of clown killies. (If fact any living creature.) For god sake, put the cover on and don't do what Housing Board does. (Bulb wire on the ceiling of foyer.)
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Why not take a camera and show us what beautiful fish you bought.
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Hahaha, all of us been through the "singlish" and "Sms" problem. Well, we have lots of member from the whole world and across big age gap. In order to communicate effectively, we try to use standard english as much as possible so that all will be able to understand us.

"U" - should be type in full as "you"
    "Juz" - should be "Just"

Ever try going to a Chinese speaking forum and type english? Or English speaking forum and type chinese?

Try make yourself understood, so that others can understand your problem and help you.

Remember all these and when more newbie join in, it is your turn to guide them.
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    but i wonder how many times u got to repeat those sentences whenever a newbie comes in.. wonder if they are turn off by you also.. Just kidding Mod..
    Ken, it can be tiresome but we make it a point to remind new forum users to mind their language when they post here. In this forum, there are many members who live in foreign countries. It's only basic courtesy to write our posts in such a way they can be easily understood. If you insist on using sms short forms, please do not be surprised when your questions are ignored.

Killies.com is a hobbyists' forum, run by hobbyists and paid for by donations contributed by hobbyists. We do not take it upon ourselves to endorse or certify any fish shop. We work closely with some fish shops owners occasionally but we don't go around promoting their businesses. We hope the fish shops do well and prosper but we like to keep this forum free from commercial interests.

Please read the stickies on "Forum Rules" and "Forum Netiquette" before you make further posts. Thank you.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    to add on to what timebomb said, there are many forum users here whose first language is not even English. it is difficult enough for them to understand proper English, imagine having to deal with slangs, singlish (and other pidgin varieties), and modern day SMS short forms.

Feedback Score
    OMG juz been away from my desk for a short while and i got so many irrelevent replies on forum ethics, thot i juz posted 1 proper quries and all bombard me with what to do and what not to do.. c'mon.. guys get a life.. seems like only hwchoy managed to get my question across here, thnx pal, u are the only genuine pal that only wants to help out but for the rest looks more to me that they juz want to join in the fun to bombard newbies like me, thats all. 1st time in my life that i see purrrrrrfect english forum like this.. telling off ppl to TYPE proper english so that ppl from overseas can understand clearly.. absurb..
    btw is this forum ISO9002 certified with proper english input?
    keep more killies

Feedback Score
    can any kind soul or rather perfect soul that can do me a favour by removing me from this "Perfect" english forum so that i can get back to "Reality" world?

last but not least, thnx to those who help out.
    Rgds
    Ken
    keep more killies

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't think people are asking for perfect Queen's English, just that everybody here avoids using short-forms or corrupted spelling (e.g. thnx), so that the members who come from all over the world can understand each other. Not many people outside Singapore and Malaysia understand our unique Singlish lingo. So it's just a matter of being considerate. Nothing absurd at all.

For your fishes, I think like what one poster said, it's best if you can post up a photo, or at least point out which fish in the gallery most resembles your specimen.. that would help get the ID problem sorted out.

timebomb is the one who runs this forum, and he tries hard to make sure that the multinational membership can understand each other. So what he is asking is simply that everyone abides by a few simple ground rules in order to benefit from each other's experiences ... that isn't very hard, is it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can any kind soul or rather perfect soul that can do me a favour by removing me from this "Perfect" english forum so that i can get back to "Reality" world?
    Well, I hate to disturb your idea of a "Reality World" but on the internet, people come from many countries and cultures. It would do you a lot of good to learn to look beyond your nose. Not everyone understands sms short forms and even for those of us who do, we find it terribly irritating to have to try and decipher what they mean.

You won't be removed from this forum but you are free to choose not to participate in the discussions here anymore if you find our rules to be stifling.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by storm
    Hi k,
    Hello Jeff, please do not misunderstand what we are trying to do here. What we hobbyists prefer is an ability for newbies to also obtain killies that are of a proper species, rather than to have someone buy a pair that may probably be mixed, as in the males are of a different species than the females.

If the original intention was just to keep them for fun then by all means LFS killies will do.

1st time in my life that i see purrrrrrfect english forum like this.. telling off ppl to TYPE proper english so that ppl from overseas can understand clearly.. absurb..
    btw is this forum ISO9002 certified with proper english input?
    The members did not join to tell off people like you. If you cannot follow simple house rules then do not blame them for having to repeat the rules to you. Probably you like to rebel against the rules but frankly speaking, I don't care.

In your "reality" world only you alone live in it and only you alone think its real. This forum is not perfect as are many others out there. Think what you want but that's entirely your business. If you feel unhappy just go and lock yourself up in your own "reality" world.

I've done you a favour, I've given you a big kick. Hope that's what you wanted.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.