Country
    Malaysia

Fissiden sp.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, is there anyone keeping this?

It was first found by Iwatsuki, Z from Japan. Haji Mohamed from University Malayan Malaysia, and M. A. (I can't figure out who is it.) Since i just got Haji Mohamed's contact. I will try to contact him to find out more information.

Fissiden sp was found in Thailand and Malaysia.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There are 16 species of Fissidens recorded from Singapore in the last survey. We have found a 17th species, but it is unclear whether it is a first record of a known species or it is an undescribed species. This newly found species is semi-aquatic.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Choy,

Is there any picture to refer to those 17 types? The picture above showing is under which type?

It is a very beautiful species to me.

Cheers,
    dom
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dom
    It is a very beautiful species to me.
    It is indeed a very beautiful Fissidens, Dom. The pictures seem to show the plant in emersed conditions. Where did you find them?

We don't have the pictures of the 16 species of Fissidens Choy mentioned. The professor may have it somewhere in his database but I wouldn't bet on it. More likely, he has the dried specimens. A couple of years ago, the professor, together with his students did a project on the Fissidens of Singapore. They found 16 species. I can't be sure but most, if not all the 16 Fissidens are not aquatic mosses. Chances are they won't grow well in our tanks.

It may interest you to know too, that other than the Java and Willow Moss, all the other tropical mosses we keep in our tanks are not aquatic in their natural habitats.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KL, how about asking Prof B if he has soft copy of the paper? If not whether he has a hard copy we can borrow to scan?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sure, Choy. I'm scheduled to meet the professor at his lab next Saturday. I'll ask him.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Loh,

I got URL from one of the Thailand member. He is working well with one of the Thailand professor. And asking me to contact Haji Mohamad for more info.

The URL is in Japanese http://www.rva.ne.jp/plants/gallary_mizube_plants.html

There are many types of species in there making me....dreaming of them all the time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    After several trips to FRIM within 2 months time. We went to different location inside the FRIM. Finally, i found the fissiden. I am no sure what type of fissiden i found. It attached on few pieces of rocks just next to the river. It is hard for me to scratch it off from the rock. So, i got no choice and brought back a small piece of rock. There are still quite a number of them there.

I found the fissiden growing semi-emersed. Very high himidity environment. And found the rocks are kinda wet. I was tried to snap some picture. But due to my lousy camera skill. I am able to get not really close picture. (I will post it tomorrow. Forgotten to bring along the camera to office.) Perhaps, i will try again to shot some closer pic tonite.

My schedule still very tight. Only free on sunday...when the labs in FRIM and University Malayan (Prof. Haji Mohamad) are closed. As well as Pos office. Otherwise, I can send some of them to Professors and Mr.Loh to verify.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    This piece was collected quite sometime ago and inside my paludarium.

Another view

This is the piece which I just collected last sunday.

Closer view.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

fissiden growing?

Hi Dom,
    Is your fissiden that you pluck growing?
    looks great.

Derric

Feedback Score
    Anyone can share the growing requirement of these plants? I seems to have a few stray one growing in my rotifier tub. They looks lovely in submerge setup but as the plant grow and without gravel to hold their roots, it float to the top and dried up.
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Deric/Keehoe,

The fissiden growing rate is extremely slow. But it growing well in low temperature like 22-24C. It will grow quite long when submersed. Below is the fissiden which is same with what i collected. It take 6-7 months to grow like that. (inside the tank without CO2 injection. No liquid fertilizer. And just a pinkish tube on for few hours only. The most funny thing is... the tank is with blackish water.)