Country
    Singapore

Killies.com's 2nd Gathering

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,
    Many of you have asked whether our pending 2nd Gathering will materialize and I'm happy to say, it can and it will, coinciding with Aquarama 2005.

This time around, our host and location will be at Eco Culture, sharing the same address as "Cichlids Forever" at 1024, Upper Serangoon Road SG-534762.

The 'rules of engagement' will basically follow the well thought out approach laid out by Kwek Leong for our 1st Gathering but I'm sure he has more to say

Date of Gathering is confirmed on Saturday, May 28th 2005 at 4pm and I'm also pleased to make available, limited pairs or trios, of the following:

Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum 'Ekondo Titi'
    Chromaphyosemion splendopleure 'Moliwe'
    Aphyosemion ahli 'Kribi'
    Aphyosemion australe 'Cape Esterias' EBT 96-27

Paraphyosemion gar. gardneri 'Lafia'
    Paraphyosemion nigerianus 'Lokoja'

Fundulosoma thierryi
    Nothobranchius sp. aff. rubripinnis 'Lisinjiri River' TAN 97-27
    Austrolebias nigripinnis 'Villa Soriano'

Simpsonichthys fulminantis 'Guanambi' BHS 95-12
    Simpsonichthys igneus
    Simpsonichthys magnificus 'Itacarambi' B7

If the display tanks are readied in time and depending on the juvenile's growth, I may have the following; (for display due to limited fishes)
    Simpsonichthys suzarti 'South Bahia' CI 99
    Simpsonichthys sp. aff. stellatus 'Urucuia'

Fellow killie-keepers, who have available eggs and fishes, can followup on the list, and let's all look forward to a helluva fun day!

Those who've been waiting to add killifishes into their tanks must really try to attend. It's a rare occasion, to be able to see the various killie genera and species.

If those Daphnia magna cultures did not go south, you folks will be impressed by the critters' size but fortunately, the Walter Worms will make their 1st debut appearance locally and will be available as starter cultures.

It has taken a fair bit of co-ordination and effort to raise 'em killies but it will be worth it. See ya all there.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ha, finally.

For some reason I do not have enough fish for sale, however I can help to do some labour work during the gathering.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I should be having eggs of the following species available in time for the gathering :

Simpsonichthys alternatus "Joćo Pinheiro"
    Simpsonichthys hellneri
    Simpsonichthys fulminantis "Guanambi" BHS 95/12
    Simpsonichthys suzarti "South Bahia" CI 99

and probably from Fundulosoma thierryi as well, if the fellas are co-operative.

The list may change if I'm unable to get a good number of eggs from the breeders.

No fish yet as I lost a batch of fry recently. The ones I have growing up will be my breeders for that period.

May bring starters of vinegar eel cultures but I've got to get my old culture up and booming again after a period of neglect.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, let me know if you need help for the plans. By the way, who's going to be our photographer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    By the way, who's going to be our photographer?
    Hey guys,

I can be the photograher for that day if the "price" is right..

Ok, ok jokes aside, I will be there "to snap" if my help is needed.
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Simpsonichthys suzarti 'South Bahia' CI 99

Nice to see that you have "Norwegian Killis" andlily take pictures so we can see what happen
    Regards
    Svein

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Svein, I bet there'll be more than one photographer on that day.

I'm bringing my power cord and supply unit (power converter) so that I can keep shooting all day long.

Yes it was a "Norwegian" killie. Say thanks to Arve (did I get the name right?) for having spread them around.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll have some pairs of the Rivulus cylindraceus 'Al Castro' strain available on that day.

Let's see if I coax my Fp. nigerianus 'Makurdi' to give me eggs.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Zul, try getting the Scriptaphyosemion cauveti to give up some eggs too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,

I'll bring some trios of the Austrolebias nigripinnis 'Villa Soriano', Aphyosemion australe (Aquarium strain) and Nothobranchius rachovii (Aquarium strain).

One lesson we learnt from the last gathering was that there must be enough space for people to move around. It was so warm in Karin's shop the last time I almost fainted I don't know how the tanks will be arranged this time but having seen the setup at "Chicilds Forever" recently, I'm concerned that the "squeeze" in this gathering will be even worse than the last one. It's real hot these days so God help us if the turnout this time is better than the last one

Ronnie, the guys who are planning to sell their Killies at the gathering need to know the percentage of cut they have to give Azmi when the fish are sold. With Karin Leow the last time, she took 30% for fish and 20% for eggs. Does Azmi have problems with this?

For those who are bringing fry, it's important you pack them in such a way they are "cash and carry". Counting and catching fry can be a lot of work so please pack them in ready containers.

One complaint we had from the last gathering was there wasn't enough interaction between hobbyists. It was mostly just "buy and sell". I'm afraid there's nothing much we can do about this one although we encourage everyone to get to know each other better. Our gatherings are quite different from "Killifish conventions" held in other countries. We don't check ourselves into hotels and stay there for 3 days and 2 nights. In short, we won't have the luxury of space and time to mingle. But there's a coffeeshop at the corner of the street, not far from "Chicilds Forever". I would encourage those who want to know us better to stay back after the gathering so we can chit chat for a while at the coffee shop. We'll be glad to share what we know about Killifish with you.

I don't know if there's going to be an auction this time as there's just not enough space to hold one. I wonder what we're going to do if more than one buyer is interested in the same fish or eggs. You have any plans for this, Ronnie?

It would be good if those who are selling many fish bring them to the shop the night before the gathering. I'll be there to help Azmi setup the tanks and display the fish properly.

I hope everyone will turn up. It's going to be chaos for sure but fun nonetheless

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Ron, let me know if you need help for the plans. By the way, who's going to be our photographer?
    Getting someone to take the gathering pictures isn't a problem, Jianyang. I'm sure we can find many volunteers to do this. What's more important is we need a couple of volunteers to help Azmi pack fish, keep records and collect payment. Do we already have such volunteers?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll volunteer to help out if required.

Will be bringing down a copy of the latest census for reference during the gathering and some other books in my collection, plus a set of printed description papers for you guys to have a look at.

Feedback Score

Re: Killies.com's 2nd Gathering

Hey Ronnie,

I will be there as per our deal so dont forget my rewards...
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Kwek Leong,
    A few issues that need consideration when organizing events like these are; location, number of people attending, a willing host and of course, an amicable arrangement that is a win-win situ for all concerned.

Space will be tight at EC's new address but in case of an unexpected turnout, we can be innovative and lay out our 'wares' along the pathway. I'm sure I'll be able to find someone to help watch over the killies.

It is probable that most items for sale will be price-matched closely to that on Aquabid (which I think best reflects supply and demand), and Azmi is game with the 30%-20% cut for fish and eggs respectively.

An auction will be interesting especially when you've proven record of a great host-master and auctioneer. I'm sure that some breeders will be willing to bring along some rare species if they know their precious won't be going for a song. It will be more realistic that biddings start off from a base price and go on from there. Let demand dictate end price... perhaps then, people will start to realize that killies are worth something.

All,
    As per previous arrangement, fishes should be brought in ahead of time. Personally, mine will be there 2 days in advance, but not for sale yet. [fright colors aren't much to look at ].

Do try to avoid last minute entries as it's much too stressful and we don't need more confusion with "who-brought-what".

There will be constraints in moving around the shop and if one is not comfortable with the squeeze (or sharing bodily warmth ), there's ample space along the pathway, to mingle, to catch up with old pals and make new friends. Just remember that an event is what we make of it.

I'm thinking of having adhesive shipping labels for name tags (self-service, with moniker and own name), to make for a cosier 'social factor'. I need volunteer for supplies but let me know what you think. [I'll be the one with a Steven Segal pony-tail, so you won't miss me... or know who to avoid ]

For those who won't be able to attend the Saturday meet (instead of Sunday), please understand that it's impossible to cater to everbody's expectations, but we do try.

Poh San, Lily, Jian Yang and those who can volunteer to help. I appreciate the willing spirit. Contributions from everyone will make a successful event (and one to look back with fond memories).

My thoughts are somewhat jumbled while responding from workplace. Tell me if I had missed out anything.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Forgot to mention that killiefolks bringing eggs and fishes should have legible labels. It will be confusing for others if they forgot what they brought home.

Fortunately, Jian Yang's compiled 'Killifish Census 2005' is a good reference.

Now is also a good time for those interested, to do their Google searches and find out more about the respective species. Gather your thoughts, pen them down if necessary and if time permits, the experienced ones will share their experience.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lily
    I will be there as per our deal so dont forget my rewards...
    I won't forget. We have a date to watch 'House of Wax', followed by supper, followed by... Ooops! wrong forum! Seriously, your assistance and presence will be appreciated.

Ladies (yeah, I'm talking to you ), killie-keeping is not a "guy's thing", so be sure I see ya all there. Bring along your friends and get them hooked on killies too!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hi all, isn't that day clashes with Aquarama "show" day?
    KeeHoe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I wish I could join in. Will miss the gathering and the Aquarama too... haiz\

Ronnie, since I cant help during that weekend, just drop me a line if you need help prior to the gathering.

Will drop by Azmi's place to help on his setup.
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm just too tied-up with my work. Working days and nights for me for the past month and also the coming month. I've neglected my fishes and will not have much to bring down on that day.

Nevertheless, I'll try to sort things out and get it arranged to bring some fishes down.

I'll post up the species once I have the list.

Ronnie, I'm always available when you need help. Do let me know what I can help you to lighten your load. :P
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Hi all, would plants, mosses and Invertebrates be on the show also?
    Have been eyeing on KL mosses collection for sometime.
    KeeHoe.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast