Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Aphyosemion splendopleure 'Muyuka' C89-15(update shots)

Feedback Score

Aphyosemion splendopleure 'Muyuka' C89-15(update shots)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Received 5 Chrom. splendopleure 'Muyuka Police Station' C89/15 yesterday. It looks like 3 males and 2 females. They are in a ten gallon tank which they share with afew small H. formosa. So far they have acclimated well and one of the females even spawned with at least 2 of the males. They have been eating a few blackworms and are gingerly eating Hikari micropellets from the top. The largest male and the larger female look a bit thin but I think it might just be temporary.

Here are a few photos. Please excuse the poor quality.
    The tank. I will be adding more moss and duckweed to provide more cover

Small male and the larger female(which seems to act very male like)

Definite female

Second largest male. Amazing how the color/pattern changes with mood. I think stripes are fright coloration.

Feedback Score
    Congratulations -- they look pretty. I hope they do well for you
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Piscesgirl: Thanks!

Also-does anyone have any opinion on whether or not to leave the eggs in the tank or to pick them? The clump of java moss has served as a spawning mop. Do adults of this species eat their eggs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nonamethefish
    Piscesgirl: Thanks!

Also-does anyone have any opinion on whether or not to leave the eggs in the tank or to pick them? The clump of java moss has served as a spawning mop. Do adults of this species eat their eggs?
    I've kept:
    A. splendopleure Ombe River 99
    Chromaphyosemion Ijube Ode
    A. bit Umudike
    A. poliaki Mile 29

First and last ones from Tony Terceira from eggs he sent and raised
    several generations in a permanent planted setup. All the above do well
    in such a setup. I didn't keep my Het formosa with them, though, thinking
    they might eat the eggs. My tanks were much more festooned with plants
    than yours

HTH,

Bill

ps probably misspells that Ronnie or Jianyang will catch. My computer crashed and I
    had to reload my OS and lost the nifty spellchecker for killifish

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your experience Bill!

For feeding fry in such a setup did you just squirt BBS in for them? Do Chromaphys take powdered food?

I'll get some more Java moss in their right now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Following corrections on Bill's post:

Chromaphyosemion splendopleure Bamukong-Ombe River System 1999 (sometimes just Bamukong-Ombe 1999 for short)

Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum Ijebu-Ode

Chromaphyosemion bitaeniatum Umudike

Chromaphyosemion poliaki Mile 29.

Minor spelling errors on the locality names but in all its pretty much the same.

The Chromaphyosemion man for Singapore is Ronnie Lee. He'll be the best person to reply to your query on this subgenus/genus (or whatever their status is now).
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Also-does anyone have any opinion on whether or not to leave the eggs in the tank or to pick them?
    Joe, it depends on how fast you wish to propagate the fish or whether you just want to watch them.

Personally, I'd want as many spawns and fry from the breeding group as their eggs are viable only in cooler weather (Monsoon season, in my case) and probably zero fry with our current warm spell.

My approach sounds sadistic, turning the group into fry-making machines, but that's my best bet since it's probable that no one else locally has the species/population.

Some splendopleure are more prolific than others and I've not personally observed egg-eating females. If you leave a group in a 5gal critter keeper and feed well, it's likely you'll find assorted sized fry.

I like the pinkish-red hue of the male in the last pic and will be getting me some. Update us as the SPL matures... can't wait to see them in wedding-dress colors!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Thank you for your experience Bill!

For feeding fry in such a setup did you just squirt BBS in for them? Do Chromaphys take powdered food?

I'll get some more Java moss in their right now.
    If you have enough plants there will be plenty of rotifers, paramecia, etc,
    to munch on. Make sure you have plenty of floating plants such as hornwort, najas, water lettuce, watersprite, for them to hide in--they
    generally will congregate in the top corners of the tank. Hikari micropellet
    is excellent and when I see the fry I will pulverize some pellets for them.
    These are easy keepers if they like their home

Bill

Feedback Score
    Joe, it depends on how fast you wish to propagate the fish or wheth r you just want to watch them.

Personally, I'd want as many spawns and fry from the breeding group as their eggs are viable only in cooler weather (Monsoon season, in my case) and probably zero fry with our current warm spell.

My approach sounds sadistic, turning the group into fry-making machines, but that's my best bet since it's probable that no one else locally has the species/population.

Some splendopleure are more prolific than others and I've not personally observed egg-eating females. If you leave a group in a 5gal critter keeper and feed well, it's likely you'll find assorted sized fry.

I like the pinkish-red hue of the male in the last pic and will be getting me some. Update us as the SPL matures... can't wait to see them in wedding-dress colors!

Ron: I would like these guys to produce as fast as possible. Does this mean I should be looking for the eggs? Not too sure how prolific these are but will soon find out.

The colors on these in life is pink or blue ,red, green, yellow ,and orange(do keep in mind I seem to be a bit colorblind).

Btw, is it normal for the females to spar with the males?

Feedback Score

I added another clump of java moss. I think it would be best to jamp-pack the tank but I still would like to be able to observe the fish. Probably add enough moss for the whole back and that will be it.

The smallest(and most photogenic) male.

Either fighting or courting-I think it is the former.

Feedback Score
    They've been spawning quite a bit but I haven't checked for eggs. Only 2 of the four fish appear to be involved(dominant male and smaller female). Larger female is kind of funny in that she is staying slim-also sometimes when she takes blackworms they end up getting out through the gill slits.

Should I worry about the extra fish going on an egg hunt?

Feedback Score
    Looking over one of the clumps of java moss I removed maybe 6 or so eggs-don't remember. They are currently in a small container(originally was a Notho spawning bowl) with sprigs of java moss. I plan to change the water as often as possible. I don't like the idea of using methylene blue or acriflavine with the eggs and will only do so if it becomes absolutely necessary.

The eggs are of decent size, much smaller than A. lineatus. They look to be about the size of Notho eggs I've had exp. with.

Any suggestions? I'll keep you all updated.

Feedback Score
    So far removed a few fungused eggs. Some remain clear-I hope they are fertile!

The largest male.

A little nervous about the camera perhaps

Female fat with either blackworms or eggs-likely both