Thread: what plant is this

Feedback Score

what plant is this

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

I wanted to know the name of the plant that appears at the bottom of this picture (the grass-type one)

its located at http://www.killies.com/MossesFerns.htm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    shuhu (what's your name?),

Welcome to the forum but you should sign off or introduce yourself with your real name and state your proper location, unless of course you're from Mars. This might sound boring to you but I hope you've read the forum rules when you signed up as a forum member.

That plant you asked for is a hairgrass I think. Which species, I do not know. Thanks for reading.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    eleocharis, the most common type for foreground is e. accicularis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It's Eleocharis alright but E. parvulus and not E. accicularis.

Sigh, everytime I see that picture, I wonder how I got the HairGrass and the Erect Moss to grow so well. I have never been able to repeat what I did with that tank

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    It's Eleocharis alright but E. parvulus and not E. accicularis.

Sigh, everytime I see that picture, I wonder how I got the HairGrass and the Erect Moss to grow so well. I have never been able to repeat what I did with that tank

Loh K L
    Loh, not even with that "chilled" tank? Poor CO2 and nutrients namely NO3 are the key to why folks have often failed when growing plants. You need to look into it closely and all plants should do well.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Loh, not even with that "chilled" tank?
    Even worse with the chilled tank, Peter . Other than the DIY chiller, everything else is the same. Same brand of lights, same CO2 gas tank, same filter. I haven't moved so it's the same water coming from the taps but where there was prolific growth before, now I get Black Brush and all other sorts of algae.

The mystery of the Erect Moss turning brown is still unsolved. I used to grow them so well, a fellow hobbyist called the few fronds I gave him the "perfect Erect Moss". I thought it was just me in the beginning but the owners of Bioplast, Mermaid World and Gen X couldn't keep their Erect Mosses from turning brown either. In fact, these shops no longer sell this moss because of this "browning" problem. You have any ideas why, Peter?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    thanks

so the one at the "floor" of the tank is Eleocharis HairGrass ???

and for what I've read before the one growing on the driftwood it's Erect Moss, right???

btw, does the moss wall uses the same "Erect moss" or is it another type... i will keep on reading the forum anyway if thats already answered

ohh and sorry for not filling the profile or anything, I didn't saw anything about that at the forum rules

I started with fish keeping like a month ago and I just started getting interested on putting plants on my tank so I'm basically a newbie

One more thing, is it true that the christmas Moss comes from Mexico??? I guess it will be easy to find that one around here if it does (at LFS)
    Lety

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    Loh, not even with that "chilled" tank?
    Even worse with the chilled tank, Peter . Other than the DIY chiller, everything else is the same. Same brand of lights, same CO2 gas tank, same filter. I haven't moved so it's the same water coming from the taps but where there was prolific growth before, now I get Black Brush and all other sorts of algae.

The mystery of the Erect Moss turning brown is still unsolved. I used to grow them so well, a fellow hobbyist called the few fronds I gave him the "perfect Erect Moss". I thought it was just me in the beginning but the owners of Bioplast, Mermaid World and Gen X couldn't keep their Erect Mosses from turning brown either. In fact, these shops no longer sell this moss because of this "browning" problem. You have any ideas why, Peter?

Loh K L
    The presence of BBA and more forms of algae speaks of one thing..CO2 (not enough or stable). Nutrient limitations can have some play in that as well (stunt from a lack of nutrients) but seldom in the case of BBA. Loh, you should consider a pH test pen or at least borrow one from some your killies folks and test it over the course of a day along with a KH test kit. Try to bump it up to 2-3 or so as most normal pH probes are not meant for poorly buffered water (my tap has a KH of 0.75~dKH). Test the pH/KH an hour after the lights are on, mid day and then an hour before the lights are off. Does the CO2 drop below 20ppm?

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    thats a nice tank - imo your problem connects to lack of co2 and not enough ferts n iron.
    how much w/l do u have there please?
    what ferts regime do u use?

Timebomb wrote: Even worse with the chilled tank, Peter . Other than the DIY chiller, everything else is the same. Same brand of lights, same CO2 gas tank, same filter. I haven't moved so it's the same water coming from the taps but where there was prolific growth before, now I get Black Brush and all other sorts of algae.

Loh K L

I think the reason has something to do with erect moss not being a true aquatic. My mosses are thriving, but each time I retie and retie that erect moss, it seems to look worse and worse. I guess mine peaked out already. If everything is the same, I don't know what is up.

Regards,
    Dennis

Feedback Score
    does moss require a small level of light or a medium one???
    Lety

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hola Lety,

I don't think the Xmas Moss came from Mexico though.

Mosses generally need low light levels although better lighting is appreciated as well.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Hola Lety,

I don't think the Xmas Moss came from Mexico though.
    hehehe, I just wanted to confirm what I saw at this forum

I was just curious
    Lety