Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moss ID please

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    JS, are you sure your other moss is Java? Ever since I met the professor, I've been trying to find Java Moss that produce sporophytes. So far, I've seen only one but it's a species of Java Moss that orginates from the West. In our regions, no one has been able to grow Java Moss with sporophytes. The professor has seen a sample of Java Moss with sporophytes many years ago but that one came from Vietnam and he no longer has the specimen. It's very important to us that if you have Java Moss with sporophytes, that you send us a sample so that the professor can make a positive identification. Please check your tanks again. Thank you.
    KL, come to think of it, there's always a possiblity where the sporophytes came from my other mosses when I dip my hand from one tank to another. Actually I don't recall seeing the sporophyte on the moss I sent. The capsule is the sporophyte right? Is the sporophyte size similar to xmas and singapore moss? I gotta check if the java moss has any but as far as I know, I don't think I've seen any sporophytes in the outdoor tank. Only my xmas and singapore moss has that. But how come the moss I sent to you bears flowers but no capsules? I gotta double check on the mosses outdoor.

It's difficult to tell whether a moss is a Taxiphyllum without the help of a microscope. If you're unsure, just send it over and I'll let the professor examine it. By the way, the professor likes your moss very much. He thinks it's very lovely. I think so too.
    glad to hear that the experts like you and the professor, like the moss too. I think other than this moss, most of the mosses I have can be obtained in Singapore so there's no moss I would like to id at the moment. Thanks.

JS, do you remember which fish shop you bought the moss from? And when did you buy it? I don't need the exact date but if you can give me a rough figure, I would appreciate it very much.
    I bought the moss from a fish shop in Petaling Jaya which doesn't have a name somewhere around september/october last year. I do not know where the moss originated from.

regards,
    JS Tan

Mr. Loh,

Just out of curiousity would this be the same spiky moss as you have there? I got it from Tan. I know you can't really identify a moss just by looking at a picture but maybe by description and comparison I can give it some kind've identity. The moss seems to be the most thickest taxiphyllum I have seen and it has maybe a branch here or there from the originall frond or stem.

Here is a picture:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dennis,

I've always suspected they're the same. The moss you got from Tan which he calls Peacock Moss could very well be the same as the one sold in Generation X which they call Spiky Moss.

Loh K L

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Dennis,

I've always suspected they're the same. The moss you got from Tan which he calls Peacock Moss could very well be the same as the one sold in Generation X which they call Spiky Moss.

Loh K L
    Hi Mr. Loh,

The picture I posted in my post above is not peacock moss. Whether peacock moss and spiky moss are the same I am unsure but here are a couple pictures of my peacock moss in the same tank.

And here is also the green socks moss passed to me. It looks exactly like my taiwan moss.

One thing that I am sure of though is that we have two new species of taxiphyllums' out there. Yay !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hemiolopterus
    But how come the moss I sent to you bears flowers but no capsules?
    JS,

Mosses can have sex organs and sperm cells from the male organ can fertilise the female organ but with certain species like the Java Moss, there won't be any sporophytes because for reasons that are not fully understood, the female organ aborts itself. I hope I didn't give you the wrong answer but I'm recalling from memory what the prof told me

Quote Originally Posted by MrSingh
    One thing that I am sure of though is that we have two new species of taxiphyllums' out there. Yay !
    Dennis, I'm sure there are more. Your "Green Socks" Moss looks a lot like Taiwan.

Loh K L

Dennis,

Loh K L
    Hi Loh,

THis is a closeup picture of the leaves of my Peacock Moss. I've never seen the Spiky Moss fron Gen X, so could you compare it with the Spiky Moss you have and see whether are they similar? Anyway, I got the Peacock Moss from China.

Tan SW

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tan SW,

I can't tell if its the same as your Peacock Moss but here's a close-up pic of my Spiky Moss:

Loh K L

I've acquired some Spiky Moss yesterday, and I've done some comparision of the Spiky Moss with my Peacock Moss. The following are some of the pictures of the comparison.

The top 'frond' is the Spiky Moss and the bottom 'frond' is the Peacock Moss. There are a few differences:
    (1) Peacock Moss is darker green in colour
    (2) The triangular shape of the Peacock Moss is more wide, while the Spiky Moss has a more pointy tip, or should I say 'Spiky'.
    (3) The small 'leaves' of the Peacock Moss are more dense, while comparatively, the Spiky Moss leaves are more sparse.
    (4) I can't describe it in clearly in words, but the Spiky Moss feels more coarse to the touch. (I'm sure the Prof will have a proper term for it)
    (5) The most interesting difference about the Spiky Moss is that the fronds kind of droop down on both sides, something like the coconut leaves or banana leaves. I've tried to take the pictures of the sideview of both the mosses below.

Spiky Moss:

Peacock Moss:

With the above differences, I would think that the Peacock Moss and Spiky Moss are 2 different species of moss.

Regards,
    Tan SW

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Your observations are very sharp, Tan but that was how we identify mosses in the old days. We compared them and when they looked different, we believed they were different species. But we know now that moss takes on different forms, shapes and colours when grown in different conditions.

I wouldn't say you're wrong but let's not be sure until the professor examines the mosses.

Loh K L

Your observations are very sharp, Tan but that was how we identify mosses in the old days. We compared them and when they looked different, we believed they were different species. But we know now that moss takes on different forms, shapes and colours when grown in different conditions.

I wouldn't say you're wrong but let's not be sure until the professor examines the mosses.

Loh K L
    That's very true. I'm trying to get a friend of mine to take some microscope pictures of the Spiky Moss for comparison ASAP. Too bad the 2 mosses don't seem to grow any capsules.

At the mean time, I'll try to grow the 2 mosses side by side in the same tank to make sure they are in the same condition, and then do a further comparison. I'll report back later.

The professor had already kept my Peacock Moss in his 'library' of mosses for reference, but there wasn't a 'common' name for it then. Please let me know if the professor want another sample of the Peacock Moss to compare with the Spiky Moss side by side.

Tan SW

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the offer, Tan SW. When the professor is ready to do the project on the various Taxiphyllums, I'll get in touch with you. He would probably need a fresh sample as he leaves mosses that haven't been positively identified lying around all over his lab. Only those with positive identifications go into his drawer.

It would be great if you can give me your contact numbers through PM in case I have to reach you in a hurry.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Hi KL,

JS, are you sure your other moss is Java? Ever since I met the professor, I've been trying to find Java Moss that produce sporophytes. So far, I've seen only one but it's a species of Java Moss that orginates from the West. In our regions, no one has been able to grow Java Moss with sporophytes. The professor has seen a sample of Java Moss with sporophytes many years ago but that one came from Vietnam and he no longer has the specimen. It's very important to us that if you have Java Moss with sporophytes, that you send us a sample so that the professor can make a positive identification. Please check your tanks again. Thank you.
    Sorry for a long time to reply as I did not have the time to check on the java moss. After a few samples pulled out from the outdoor tank, I find that the java moss contains no capsules.

regards,
    JS

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think the professor will be even busier in the coming year!

Benito Tan news. Doesn't he look dashing?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It's great news and he definitely deserves the honour. I hope he will still have time to help us identify mosses and liverworts though.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KL, its best that you remove rest's user account. This user is continually spamming and Propecia is for balding men.. not plants!.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I really hate doing this but the user "rest" has the dubious honour of being the first to be banned from this forum.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have removed his post
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12