Images
    Country
    Singapore

wild shrimp from Singapore

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    not something to be included into your killi tank, but thought you might enjoy the hairy arms

this shrimp was collected wild from Singapore (note to the collectors, please keep the locality confidential for now).

this one is the "Alpha Male"
    size of this specimen is 5cm from rostrum to tail-fan (tip to tip). females are much smaller, about 3.5 cm bearing large black eggs.

you can see light red/white banding on the legs close to the body, this pattern is more obvious on the claw-carrying appendages of females. Also the tail-fan is trimmed on the left/right edges with a light cream/yellow strip.

first time I've seen an arm THIS hairy!

Kua SIMI!

and here's the female…

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Very interesting shrimp!
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A very sexy shrimp indeed, out to satisfy!

However, it does appear to me that the hairy side is notably larger than the other (sound?) side. Wondering if there’s a growth of some sort – perhaps fungus? - that could probably have caused chronic inflammation giving rise to the size disparity??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by elMichael
    However, it does appear to me that the hairy side is notably larger than the other (sound?) side. Wondering if there’s a growth of some sort – perhaps fungus? - that could probably have caused chronic inflammation giving rise to the size disparity??
    it is very common for shrimps and crabs to have claws of different size and structure, especially amongst the males. some use the big claw for fighting, waving at the gers, intimidating their boyfriends, etc…
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Quote Originally Posted by elMichael
    it is very common for shrimps and crabs to have claws of different size and structure, especially amongst the males. some use the big claw for fighting, waving at the gers, intimidating their boyfriends, etc…

I see. That possibility did cross my mind.
    Thanks for educating me, anyway.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually the females also one claw big one claw small, but the difference not so drastic, plus they don't have quite so much hair

Feedback Score
    Very nice looking shrimp!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    That is what we called as claw fish/crayfish. (I am still wondering why it is a shrimp and people calling it as claw fish.)

I caught a lot. There are blue, brown, reddish, yellowish and green in color. They do prefer lower temperature and PH.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dom
    That is what we called as claw fish/crayfish. (I am still wondering why it is a shrimp and people calling it as claw fish.)

I caught a lot. There are blue, brown, reddish, yellowish and green in color. They do prefer lower temperature and PH.
    Hi Dom (are you PCS?)

anyway this creature has been identified as Macrobrachium malayanum which should be a "shrimp" rather than a crawfish/lobster. I'm not so well versed with the crustacea hierarchy so take what I say with a pinch of salt, with the exception of the ID, which was courtesy of Y.X. Cai the resident shrimp expert at RMBR.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Chow,

Yes. I am PCS in petfrd.com. This type of shrimp kinda aggressive towards other fishes. Any fish getting close to it. It will use the claw to attack.

Cheers,
    Dom
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dom
    Hi Chow,

Yes. I am PCS in petfrd.com. This type of shrimp kinda aggressive towards other fishes. Any fish getting close to it. It will use the claw to attack.

Cheers,
    Dom
    yah definitely very aggressive. they even wrestle with each other for the best spot to squat on.

Feedback Score
    Shrimp, prawn, lobster, craw/cray fish are all subjective names with little scientific standing. Technically, the "shrimp" is a craw fish because it as large claws/pinchers.

It is a very interesting animal by whatever name...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by TyroneGenade
    Shrimp, prawn, lobster, craw/cray fish are all subjective names with little scientific standing. Technically, the "shrimp" is a craw fish because it as large claws/pinchers.

It is a very interesting animal by whatever name...
    yes yes I only go with their valid latin names

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is it for sale or something? Can I put a pair in a community tank?

Feedback Score
    Based on a few other aquarists stories sooner or later the community tank would merge into one well fed stomach
    ~Joseph

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by nonamethefish
    Based on a few other aquarists stories sooner or later the community tank would merge into one well fed stomach

nah, they're not that vicious. I had a bunch of them in my 3ft tank and no fishes were hunted down, even malayan shrimps fared OK.

there's no where to buy them though.