Country
    Singapore

Rotala macrandra (Green)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a picture of my Rotala Macrandra (Green). Here it is again if you have forgotten what it looked like:

For some reason or another, the plant began to deteriorate recently. But yesterday, I took a look and was surprised to see purple tips. Here's how it looks now:

Is my plant mutating or what?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Kwek Leong,
    I recently planted some Rotala macrandra (Green) after I changed my 2 ft tank to ADA soil. The new leaves are pink like those in your picture.
    I thought the new leaves are pink due to the high light (4W/g) and low NO3 in my tank. If I remember correctly, yours are getting natural light ?
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The plants are likely to lack of macro-nutrients and most likely N, K and/or C. This plant seems to have "mood"/season too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What do the plants near the surface get more than those at the bottom? Light...Light is the main driving factor in growth. Now, the plants at the top are growing so fast that formation of chlorophyll (green) over those areas couldn't keep up fast enough. What you are seeing are likely anthocyanins (red) before it is being covered by chlorophyll later. Oh, from the looks of things, you are likely running low on some macros like freddy mentioned since your bottom leaves are in bad shape.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    I have a huge foam box for keeping unwanted plant from my planted tank that is placed outside under natural lighting. I noticed that Rotala macrandra (Green), that i had discarded and left unattended at the box, turned red! The top leaves not only turn pink, they actually turned red in colour.

I believe that PeterGwee is right about the effect of lights.
    There is another world in the waters......

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KL,

If I am right, the plant is stunted now. This plant is macro-nutrient hungry as it is a fast grower. The mass grown obviously came mainly from Carbon (CO2), follow by N, K, etc and with supporting nutrients of traces. You may want to consider stuffing a Horti tab (house plant soil fert) at the root since you do not fertlize water frequently.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    KL,

If I am right, the plant is stunted now. This plant is macro-nutrient hungry as it is a fast grower. The mass grown obviously came mainly from Carbon (CO2), follow by N, K, etc and with supporting nutrients of traces. You may want to consider stuffing a Horti tab (house plant soil fert) at the root since you do not fertlize water frequently.
    I am using that for my cryptocorynes and blyxa. They do grow very and nicer.
    My new blog about field trip, aquascaping, DIY and etc. http://dominicanrepublica.blogspot.com

Re: Rotala macrandra (Green)

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Is my plant mutating or what?
    Well, mutating isn't the word. It is just taking on it's underwaterclothing.

By now, 2 weeks later, you should experience it has now compeltely taken on it's real shape.