Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 'Healthy & Clean' indoor culturing of live tubifex worms

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Thanks for your explaination. But if your Ramshorns are feeding on the tubifex, then sustaining them for a much longer period of time would be much easier on your part since the numbers are decreasing; making the environment for ideal for the rest of the "not yet been eaten" tubifex.
    Hey Fishy!!! Your So Fine; Your So Fine; You Blow My Mind

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Your worms will survive for a long time. As long as the worm tank's eco-system is maintained constantly balanced, it should survive indefinitely. And with not much water change, any tiny baby worms will have a greater chance of survival and thus increase the population. Overall, I see oxygenation as the most important factor to maintaining good health.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    This is just an experiment to see how long I can keep them in an enclosed environment with little to zero water change.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Your worms will survive for a long time. As long as the worm tank's eco-system is maintained constantly balanced, it should survive indefinitely. And with not much water change, any tiny baby worms will have a greater chance of survival and thus increase the population. Overall, I see oxygenation as the most important factor to maintaining good health.
    This makes me ponder whether should I install a bubble stopper by Totto into my Tubifex holding tank to boost the level of dissolved oxygen in the water. I think the whole initiative about stretching the lifespan of the tubifex is only for times during Chinese New Year and other festive season when almost the whole Nation would be on holiday mood and our fishes will be on fasting mood.

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Tubifex enjoy abundant oxygen. When you see then waving their tails and dancing happily in unison while they
    bury their heads in the mud, you can be sure they are thinking of nothing but oxygen in their little heads.
    Therefore, they will welcome any means of maintaining good oxygen level in the water.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I did a test with the tubifex colony. Whenever I turn off the airstone, within 30 mins or so they'll start poking out of the muck. When it's on, you don't see them at all.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SirBest View Post
    This makes me ponder whether should I install a bubble stopper by Totto into my Tubifex holding tank...
    Definitely YES! Increased OČ doesn't benefit just worms alone but for fishes as well.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    Definitely YES! Increased OČ doesn't benefit just worms alone but for fishes as well.
    Thanks for the pointer. I will start planning to make provision for a tubifex tank. I guess it will definitely not sit well with my other half who happen to patronize the same walkway in and out of the house.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I suppose when the water is agitated by the pump, they automatically react as though there's danger, especially after a period of calm.

When the pump is off, they will be starved of oxygen soon, so they will stick out their long tails and 'dance' to grap for rare oxygen. Whereas with the pump on, oxygen is abundant in the water, so there's no need for them to do their dance thing, as they can relax and 'enjoy life' inside the mud, like most worms naturally do.

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    I did a test with the tubifex colony. Whenever I turn off the airstone, within 30 mins or so they'll start poking out of the muck. When it's on, you don't see them at all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I got to agree that tubifex do need a high amount of oxygen cause since the environment they are residing in surely sapped them off from the precious oxygen in the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I would like to offer my experience for you too. I just joined after reading some of these posts. I have been raising fish all my life. As a child and young adult, I lived in California. Then I lived in a few other states. Now I'm in Nebraska, and I'm having a real hard time finding any tubifex worm. I hate to have to collect them from the river’s edge to be honest. Anyway, I have always been very successful at setting up a mini echo system in an aquarium with my fish and the tubifex worm. I set up an under gravel filter in the middle of the aquarium and a flow filter on the back (appropriate to the size of the aquarium). I put growing plants around the back perimeter of the tank in pots, in the gravel, not on top of the under gravel filter. The worms grow and bread in this environment, help keep the gravel clean and feed the fish all at the same time. They use the under gravel filter as a breeding ground. They’ll spread from there into the gravel throughout the tank, and the lower parts of the plants too. The fish will eat enough of them to keep them from taking over. I have done this several times as I have moved and started over. It always works for me. I must note that you can NOT use black worms for this. It must be actual tubifex worms or it won’t work. I hope this helps some of you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Interesting idea to use a gravel filter as breeding ground for tubifex. Might just try it out when i can free up some space.

As for me, i have success in keeping tubi alive in a small 2 liter tank with a corner filter with activated carbon media and a fan blowing 24/7. The only issue is the number did not multiply fast enough.

Btw, what do you feed them? Just normal fish pellets?

We can easily get tubi in LFS over here in Singapore but keeping/breeding on tubi will give some assurance they are clean and free from harmful disease.
    Last edited by Shi Xuan; 15th Nov 2012 at 09:31. Reason: Spelling

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234