Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A. spl 'Muyuka Police Station' C89-15 baby pics

Feedback Score

A. spl 'Muyuka Police Station' C89-15 baby pics

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Seeing that ruyle posted photos of his baby Chromaphyosemions I decided to try to take photos of mine. First task was to remove some of the duckweed from the tank surface which had grown thick enough that the tank was too dark for the camera. I removed a good portion of it and was surprised by the number of fish that appeared. The largest male is maybe 1.5 and the largest female a little over 1 inch. It looks to be a male heavy sex ratio unfortunately. Even with the duckweed removed it was impossible to focus on fish in the lower half of the tank...the tank has a bit of a dark jungle look to it to say the least.

An average sized(about 1 inch) male.

The largest female. Wonder when she'll be ready to spawn?

Just to show how the colors have come in and to show that they aren't very comfortable around the camera.

One of the smaller males just getting his colors and finnage.

One of the larger males. This Anubias leaf with the current water depth is just below the surface and fish regularly squirm onto it to pick any tidbits that are on the leaf.

A juvenile(hoping it is a female! [-o<) and a male and a female in a sparring fight.

I have no idea how many fish are in here but not including the parents maybe 10?
    ~Joseph

Feedback Score
    Very good, Joseph! What model of Nikon is that? Also, what size is the
    tank they're in and more importantly, what temp did you keep them? For
    most Chromos I try to keep it 78-80F, sometimes it doesn't work out that
    way, but that's always my target for close to even sex ratio. I'm always
    told it's either temp or ph, that influences how the sexes will break out.

I'm thinking it's more of a temp thing....

Bill

Feedback Score
    Bill,

The camera is an old Nikon Coolpix 775...which I believe has been discontinued. It is a nice compact little camera that seems to take good photos...but it is the only digital camera I've played with for any length of time.

They are in a 10 gallon tank with one adult pair. I think the temp is set at 78 as it feels very balmy in their when I put my hand in(the heater...needless to say, is hidden very well now!). I hate to admit it but I do not remember the last time I tested water myself...it was probably back before I even kept killies or maybe even tropical fish. I think the water here is moderately hard(leaves watermarks) and a ph of around 7.5
    ~Joseph

Feedback Score
    Your fish are looking very nice, Joseph!
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Thanks Deborah and Bill

I removed some of the java moss in the tank and found an Anubias buried under there that I had forgotten about(hmmm...the driftwood seemed to have gotten smaller!). Also, I have at least 3 females so it should be enough to keep these guys going.
    ~Joseph

Feedback Score
    Yes, Joseph, you're set! You have all that you need to start quite a colony

Bill

Maybe this spring we can arrange a trade...

Feedback Score
    Joseph,

Your fish are looking great! Very pretty.

Those females are old enough to start spawning, now. Not sure the eggs will be 100% viable, but bet a couple of thick (100-200 strand) floating mops would give you some nice eggs, now.

Envious in CA, as I have no Chromaphyos right now.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Wright: They are ready? They do seem like it but have shown no interest in spawning. I wonder how the eggs can fit in such small fish?

Bill. If things go well I'd be happy to send a few of these or otherwise eggs to people.
    ~Joseph

Feedback Score
    Joseph,
    Sure, sounds good. Wright is looking rather forlorn over there in CAL,
    so maybe both of us can send him some fry, although I'm going to wait
    till I get more. Lost one of the smaller fry but have 2 coming up, the
    bigger is a female. Was wanting to ask you, does your tank have a
    substrate or just bare?

Bill

Feedback Score
    Bill: If Wright wants to get into Chromaphyosemions again and if he thinks we've got his Holy Grail ones of course.

I'm pretty sure you've probably got more fry than you see. I know at one time I thought maybe 4 fish were all the same ones! (until I saw it one day with a yellow streamer and one day without!)

This tank has playsand for substrate. Probably wasn't a good idea but I think it helps the fish feel more secure and it provides Najas a place to anchor.
    ~Joseph

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nonamethefish
    Bill: If Wright wants to get into Chromaphyosemions again and if he thinks we've got his Holy Grail ones of course.
    Well, he'd have to look a ways to find prettier fish!

I'm pretty sure you've probably got more fry than you see. I know at one time I thought maybe 4 fish were all the same ones! (until I saw it one day with a yellow streamer and one day without!)
    I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Bill

Feedback Score
    Some more photos of these

Young male, biggest one. Finnage coming along nicely

And a female to accompany him.

Little one(most likely female) looking for some tidbits(Hikari First Bites)

Younger male.

And the Big Daddy. Right now being his usual uncooperative self. Such a ham :wink:

About as much as he let me do. The only reason he was out was to get his share of food.

Anyone in for a duckweed pie?
    ~Joseph

Feedback Score
    Joseph, photos 2 and 5 are really good! I'll be talking to you this spring for
    a trio!

Bill

Feedback Score
    Thanks Bill. I'll keep you updated on how these buggers go. Right now looks like 4 females total.

I can't take good tank photos but here is one. Yes, the glass could use some cleaning

Well, I found a little trick to get these guys to show their stuff more. A mirror in the tank.

You can see by his reflection that he is showing off for the mirror. It is amusing watching them get frustrated...they would clamp their fins and "shimmy" and turn and see that their rival thought nothing of it

Since I did a bit of trimming the dominate male has been out a bit more. He surprised me by coming to take a look at his reflection in the mirror. These photos do him no justice. This pose is him in between bouts of doing that "shimmying" display that is hard to describe...but anyone who's kept these probably knows what I mean.

~Joseph

Feedback Score
    What a neat idea with the mirror! Your anubias are growing great, too. Do
    you have them tied to rock, wood, or free floating? Nice fin display in the
    one pic, hope you (and me) get some babies going soon!

I see you and I share the same kind of water spots on our tanks. Just
    about impossible to get off, and when you think you do, they come right
    back in a few days. That's life, with Alabama water....

I'm replacing some old tanks with new 10gals from WallyWorld this week.

Bill

Feedback Score
    The Anubias were just placed onto the driftwood until they managed to anchor themselves.

What kind of water are you getting over there in Alabama? The water here is ph of 7.6 and GH/KH of around 8.

The tank as of now is currently without any filter/water movement. How would the fish like, say, a small air driven corner filter in the tank?

What are your plans for the old tanks? Daphnia housing maybe?
    ~Joseph

Feedback Score
    My water is about 7.5-7.6 ph with GH- 8, KH is 6--fairly hard and alkaline.
    Yep, probably use the old tanks for daphia and grow-out tanks. I have an
    old 29 gallon I'm going to set up on my back porch this spring for raising
    plants in filtered sunlight...might throw some fish in there, too.

Bill

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nonamethefish
    The tank as of now is currently without any filter/water movement. How would the fish like, say, a small air driven corner filter in the tank?
    Good idea, sponge filters work great.

Bill

Feedback Score
    The fish do not seem to mind the new current being generated by a bubbler but they do avoid the general area it is in. Will see to adding something to it to make it serve more than just water movement.

Also it appears that their may be a few too many females now. I found a medium sized one which was quite battered(tail a stub and other fins ragged). Isolated now. Should pull through as she was still eating/interacting with the other fish when I noticed her. When the weather warms up I'll see to spreading a few of them(I think I have 8 females total). The males don't seem to get as bad but a few do have nipped fins. Could this be territory related? The main time I see aggression is during feeding time. W
    ~Joseph

Feedback Score
    Joseph, how big a tank are you keeping these? I would think you'd want
    at least a 15 long or 20 long, heavily planted (which I think you do anyway) to help curb this aggression. And yes, I think it's territory
    related.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast