Thread: Newbie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys, i'm thinking of starting my hands on a planted tank. wat are the basic necessities must i get? and how much will the cost work up to? i'm planning on a 4ft planted tank. thanks!

Feedback Score
    read up on sites relating to planted tanks, or alternatively,search the forums as always reccomended by the older members.

key words: planted tanks

www.thekrib.com

http://www.easyfishkeeping.com/tropi...sfulplants.htm

http://www.aquahobby.com/

http://www.frii.com/~gbooth/AquaticConcepts/Co2/

not so sure about costs, i have two 2 feet tanks.
    I guess basic requirements are understanding of each fish species needs(ph,gh,territorial,behaviour,introducing fishes in a new tank,cycling a new tank), plants needs,(ph, co2, lights, fertilizer).
    Have fun reading up, and be sure to know the requirements, if not you'll end up learning the hard way, trial and error, which can be expensive.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    read the guide in the faq section.
    here's the link

as for the cost, it is difficult to estimate. decide on what you want and visit some lfs to inquire about prices.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi guys, any place to recommend to buy stuff like sand, substrate and other equipment? anywhere cheap?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think most of the places listed on the LFS directory on top of the page will have a fair range of the stuff you need. Each shop will have certain items that are cheaper or more expensive than others, so the best you can do is shop around, compare and decide for yourself.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    heh these questions has been asked many times before and dat is why u are getting no answers

for a start, here are some recommendations for beginner (me also beginner) ... the rest, let ur feet do the walking []

1) tank - up 2 you
    2) filter - external canister type preferred, eheim if got $$$, atman if waiting 2 strike toto ($50-$300+)
    3) gravel - Lonestar is a popular choice
    4) jbl base fertiliser - Cheap and good
    5) co2 tank + regulator + solenoid - all LFS can recommend you some ($150-$300+)
    6) lights - PL lights preferred, 3W per gallong recommended
    7) any others like diffusor/reactor, skimmer, thermometer, fans/chillers, etc etc

lastly, the plants & fishes you will have to choose yourself [:]
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can i do without a solenoid?
    can i use overhead filter instead of canister?
    any advice for these 2 points?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Solenoids are a controversial area. Some feel it's helpful, other do well without it. The best advice is if you do not get one, make sure you read up on CO2 injection, the pH/kH table and closely monitor your tank's CO2 settings to prevent pH dips from CO2 during the night.

Overhead filters are generally not recommended. They take up valuable space which would be better used for the lights. The water splashing down tends to cause agitation which increases CO2 loss (i.e. wastage). And canister filters can be more flexibly positioned to provide better water circulation. If you aren't ready to invest in those Eheim sets, try one of the taiwanese alternatives, or advertise for a second-hand. I got my 2224 for just $60.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If budget is an issue, then go without a solenoid and just spend some money on a timer and a airpump +air stone... just turn it on when the lights are out... this will aerate your tank and reduce any risk of CO2 toxicity.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    "just turn it on when the lights are out..."

Tot should on your co2 as when you on the light ???

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys, he just started. Don't you think DIY CO2 is better for him as a start? He probably will learn more from it and build up as he goes along.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Allen is refering to the air-pump to be "on" when the lights go out...(This is for ppl with regulator without solenoid valve so as to prevent CO2 poisoning)
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I was talking about using an airstone and not CO2... OK let me be more explicit... For people on a budget, the solenoid is quite an expensive addition... so if you can't afford a solenoid now, don't get one. This however means theres a risk of CO2 toxicity when the lights are out as the plants will not be photsynthesizing. So I recommend spending like $20-30 on a timer and an airpump+airstone. By setting this to turn on at night when the lights are low, you reduce the risk of CO2 toxicity by

1) causing surface turbulance which outgasses CO2
    2) increase O2 levels
    3) cause water circulation between the water at the surface and bottom which in term also increases O2 and reduces CO2 levels.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks guys for all ur advices. actually right now i do have a CO2 tank and regulator. so dun need to DIY one.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    allen, ur suggestion of using a timer and air pump sounds good. better alternative to getting a solenoid.

as for filters, can i get those normal rectangular submersible filters? dun wish to spend too much on this area.

Feedback Score
    A good canister filter is a wise investment.
    I bet you would spend a lot more (in total) on plants and fishes than a good canister filter after a few months into this game.
    DO NOT SAVE on filter.
    Just my 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree... try and get the best filter you can get for your buck... if budget is a concern then forget trying to get a eheim... go for atman or some cheaper brands... if you need suggestions, you can tell us your budget for filters and mebbe we can suggest something.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/23/2003 9:53:15 PM

hi guys, i'm thinking of starting my hands on a planted tank. wat are the basic necessities must i get? and how much will the cost work up to? i'm planning on a 4ft planted tank. thanks!
    ----------------
    Seems like you got some of your stuff already prior to your decision to setup your planted tank. Maybe you could tell us what you already have so that we can advise how you can proceed. I think this way, info you need can be obtain more efficiently and avoid repeated Q&A.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi! right now i only have a 4ft tank and a CO2 tank with manual regulator. going to get some JBL base fertiliser and sand tmr.

ask u guys hor.... i noe i need about 4 tubes of 36w FL light which i can easily get in most LFS. the question is, does the terms 'high light' or 'low light' depend on the wattage of the tubes? in that case, can i use those normal FL tubes found in most hardware shops and NTUCs? cos i saw one 36W tube in NTUC selling for $6+ only. and the cover box indicated 'Daylight' too. are those tubes good enough for planted tanks?

thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The FL tubes can be used for your planted tank but does 4X36W is sufficient for your tank. Assuming your tank is 4X1.5X1.5 the wattage is only 2.25W/g which I think is quite low.

Another major problem is that 4ft tubes cannot fit into a 4ft light fitting.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast