Country
    Poland

A voice from exotic Poland :) .

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Greetings!

We - my friends and I - live in Poland (central Europe).

I would like to express my admiration for your plant forum; the layout is very clear and it's a mine of information for us, especially with regard to mosses and liverworts that can survive in aquarium conditions (there are moss-lovers in Poland, too).
    Now I have a confession to make . Recently we've laid the foundations of a forum about mosses and liverworts in aquaria (http://www.mchy.fora.pl), and in doing so used many photos by the members of your forum. Unfortunately, at the moment we have few photos of our own; those that we do have we've already posted and hopefully there will be more as the number of our members grows.
    Whenever we use your pictures we always indicate clearly where they came from; however, if any of you should object, we will remove them immediately. The forum is not yet officially up - we're in the process of creating the categories and the gallery.
    The goal of our forum is to promote the keeping of mosses and liverworts in aquaria, knowledge about them, and generally planted tanks in which these beautiful plants constitute a vital element of the composition. We would also like to ensure the use of correct nomenclature (whenever possible, of course). We have no goals of commercial nature.
    We also hope to establish in aquaria new species of our native Bryophyta. Our country is located in the temperate climate zone, which means, in particular, that in the course of the year the temperature can range from -30 C to +30 C, though the extremes - especially the lower - are rarely reached. This does not prevent us, however, from cultivating some forms of Fontinalis antipyretica (willow moss) from our native waters in home aquaria kept at 25-26 C. The same goes for Riccia fluitans. Personally I own a local form of Leptodictyum riparium (Stringy moss) and two unidentified moss species that have been collected at the outskirts of my home town, but even so are doing well in my aquarium.
    Seeing as we have - as almost any country in the world - a relatively rich native flora of the Bryophyta, both from aquatic habitats and their immediate surroundings, it should be possible to find something of interest to aquarists. This, however, introduces the problem of identifying the species, which - as I have found out myself - is not easy. But maybe we will entice a native "professor Tan" of our own?
    In one respect, however, we are lucky: in our homes the temperature ranges from 18 to 24 C, which , I am sure, you will envy us

Best regards
    Robert Pietrusiak and Polish moss-lovers.

Feedback Score
    Greetings
    My name is Jacek Debski; I, too, am an admininistrator of the forum www.mchy.fora.pl
    To what Robert has written I would like to add this: if you let us use your photos we will repay the favor by granting you permission to use ours We even plan to include the following among the forum usage rules: "By putting your photos on the site you agree to their being posted also on www.killies.com". And until we acquire more members, I would like to share with you my own photos, which have already been posted on our forum

with mossy regards
    Jacek Debski
    Pozdrawiam

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Czesc Robert and Jacek,

Welcome to the forum and I hope my greeting does not confuse you. While it is good that you acknowledge where the images were taken from, it would be best to notify the authors of the images.

I have no images of mosses of my own, therefore I cannot contribute anything at this moment. However, Kwek Leong, Gan CW and the rest of the moss-growing folks should be able to help you.

I will let them decide how it would be best to aid your forum in growing.

Dowidzenia,
    Jianyang

P.S. I found the greetings on a website.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Robert, Jacek,

It's wonderful to hear from moss-lovers in a country as far from Singapore as Poland. I know little about your country but from one moss-lover to another, let's show some solidarity

I can't speak for everyone in this forum but you are welcomed to use my pictures. As long as they are not put up for commercial purposes, it's fine with me. You don't have to ask me for permission when you use them. An acknowledgement that the pictures were from "killies.com" would be good enough.

Jacek, you don't have to include in your forum rules a line that says, "By putting your photos on the site you agree to their being posted also on www.killies.com". It's very nice of you to think of doing that but it may hurt your forum because hobbyists may feel that such a rule would also mean their pictures can be used freely by anyone.

Robert, if you like to ensure the use of correct nomenclature, I think it would be a good idea that you always put the scientific names of the bryophytes in italics. For instance, Willow Moss should be written as "Fontinalis antipyretica" and not "Fontinalis antipyretica".

It's great that the 2 of you are working on a site to promote the love of bryophytes. Let me know how I can be of help. Besides pictures, would you like to have some of the aquarium mosses circulating in Singapore? Just let me have a mailing address (by private message or email) and I'll try and send some as soon as possible.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Robert and Jacek,

Welcome to Killies.com!

I have not been successful in moss for the last few years. However, lately, after rejuvinating the base fertilizer and with the help of KL, mosses finally grow in my tank.

I will be taking some pictures of my mosses and share with you in this thread. I hope they will be useful for your collections.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Robert and Jacek,
    You are welcome to use my moss photos as long acknowledgements are included where they are used.
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, below is my moss which was setup a month ago.