Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Green water

Green water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello Friends,

I keep a moderate sized pond in my balcony. Keeping some goldfishes. Having problems with greenish water, despite weekly change. There are no visible signs of algae. Please advice on treatment.
    \"Work is the curse of the drinking class.\" -- Oscar Wilde

Feedback Score
    Hi Little Bear,

The greenish water you talk about is actually suspended algae. Need to know more about your pond like the size (volume of water) your pump and also the filter your are using.

Green water problem in pond is very common if pond is under direct sunlight. Do you have water plants in your pond or floating plants?

Having water plants help as they help reduce the nutrient in the water. The nutrient comes from nitrate which is the by product of fish waste (amonia) being converted to nitrite and nitrate by your filter. Over feeding also add to nutrient in your water. In natural enviroment there is water plants floating and otherwise to cut out sunlight and also out compete algae to prevent green water problem.

If you do not intend to have water plants then my suggestion is a uv light. UV is place before the filter. Meaning that water going from your pond to your filter is past through the UV first. What happens is that the UV light causes the algae floating in the pond water to clump together in sizes big enought for your filter to stop in from going back to your tank.The algae in your green wateris simply too small in size right now for teh filter to capture them.

If you give me the specification of your setup I am be able to better advice.

Hope this helps.