Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

My name's Chris. I'm a college student (graduating in May, assuming all goes well...) in Indiana, USA. I've been keeping aquariums off and on the past seven or eight years, and have been particularly interested in aquatic plants (particularly mosses and plants with smaller leaves, though I've only had experience with Java Moss), shrimp, and smaller fish for most of that time. Since I go to school out of state (and I studied abroad in Tokyo for ten months last year), my lifestyle has been pretty nomadic for the past four years; thus, any aquariums I've had have been tiny and super low-tech.

I found this site a few days ago and have been reading posts and looking at pictures on the forum. I'm excited to have found a place full of people whose "taste," so to speak, in fish and plants seems to be similar to my own (and whose knowledge on said subjects is much greater than my own ). Since this forum seems to be pretty community-oriented, I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm looking forward to finally being in one place long enough to have a "real" aquarium soon-- especially now that I've learned about the existence of all these different mosses!

Anyway, sorry to have gone on for so long. Nice to meet you all!

-Chris

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Welcome to the forum, Chris! This forum is a treasure--friendly and a lot of knowledgeable people.

You mentioned that you studied in Japan last year; did you visit Amano’s aquariums during that time?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Chris, welcome. We have a particular liking for people like you who, in his first post, introduce himself to the forum. Let us know how we can be of help.

You spoke of small tanks as if they were something less desirable than big tanks. As far as I know, small tanks can look just as good as big ones. They don't have to be low-tech too. If you like mosses and small plants, a small tank would be perfect.

I was in a friend's house the other day and he had a nano tank which I think is awe-inspiring. Here's the picture:

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Chris,

Welcome to this humble place! I appreciate that you make time to introduce yourself.

And what about this example?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks for the welcomes!

Randall-- unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to Niigata while I was in Japan. I did go to several aquarium shops in and around Tokyo that sold ADA products and had Amano-like setups (I was so jealous to see the plant selection in Japanese LFS versus the typical selection in the US), but I wasn't able to find the time to make it to the ADA office itself. It was one of my biggest goals for my time there, so it was a little disappointing. Still, I think I'll probably wind up back in Japan sometime in the future, so hopefully I'll be able to go then.

KL and Freddy-- those tanks are both beautiful! I didn't intend to say that I thought a bigger tank is necessarily better than a smaller one; I'm just looking forward to being able to live in the same place long enough to have a more mature, established tank. Thanks for posting the pictures; they're incredible.

Thanks again.

-Chris