Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Some kind of Fissidens

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I was walking along a small stream while at a park yesterday. Most of the stream was really dirty (there was no plant or animal life that I could see), so I was surprised to find a small man-made waterfall covered with what looks like it could be a species of Fissidens. I happened to have a film canister with me, so I pulled a little bit of the moss up and brought it home!

At the moment, it doesn't very good. Like the rest of the stream, most of it is covered in sediment and random decomposing pollutants. I washed it off as best I could before adding it and it seems to be doing better in my tank already. The ghost shrimp have been eating the stuff covering the moss (hopefully it won't kill them).

Anyway, here is a couple of pictures. They're not very good (the second one especially), but maybe it'll give you an idea of how it looks. The moss in the upper right-hand corner of the second photo is Christmas moss, to give you a sense of scale.

-Chris

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Great find Chris! I hope you have success in growing that moss. I wish you had a camera when you found that fissidens, so you could have taken pictures where it naturally grew in a man-made waterfall. Good luck!