Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: "Cotton algae" or "Cotton moss"

"Cotton algae" or "Cotton moss"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Currently i have a nano cube DX 48w/12g tank with CO2. My house backs onto nice woody property with drainage streams, in the summer i'm amazed now many ferns and mosses we have back there. I've made a habit of picking some up and growing it emersed or submerged, both if there is enough of it. So the origin of this moss/algae is unknown really. It grew in a shrimp tank for probably the past year, and i always discarded it as being algae. I can't decide if it is balled up algae or if it is moss now. When i pull peices off the mass, I can't tell under a magnifying glass if it actually branches like a moss or if it's entwined algae. To the touch it's coarse like a spun cotton ball. With or without the aid of a microscope what might help me qualify this as a moss?

Other questions, Instead of doing the moss wall, i found a large stone that's literally the width and height of the tank and intended to attach weeping moss to this, but the nerites keep bulldozing it up. Will the weeping moss actually attach to the rock, or does it not have the rock-grasping ability, i forget the word. I have the same question about the fissidens species that's coming from singapore, grows about 2" in hieght not the nobilis.

Does anyone have an ethical problem with me just using cable ties to cover my nerites with moss?

Everett

think this is the same type of fissidens http://www.albumtown.com/data/5dc4eb...39_p854084.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: "Cotton algae" or "Cotton moss"

Quote Originally Posted by aliasnumber1
    To the touch it's coarse like a spun cotton ball.
    Does anyone have an ethical problem with me just using cable ties to cover my nerites with moss?
    Hi Everett ,

If it is green, I guess it is hair algae. IMO, there is little you can do but to remove them (the algae) completely. Cut out their existence.

You may wish to consider using the fine fish line to tie mosses.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Cladophora has a lot of side branches and an unpleasant smell. The strands are not long, and it tends to grow in clumps. A related hair algae, Rhizoclonium, lacks the side branches and has long strands which are also very strong. It does not have an odor as Cladophora does

I actually think i have both in different tanks, the cotton algae would probably be rhizoclonium spun in the waterflow into a clump. Any input on what would eat it? I prefer to have stock to take care of the algae cause there are low flow algae nests under the mounds of anubias I have MTS and 15 olive nerites., shrimp are dying in the tank either through PH swings or residual pesticides. I'm thinking Ramshorns might like it being herbivore-ish, any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Nothing I have eats it. Some people have had some luck with rosey barbs. Manual remove is the only tried and true method.