Images
    Country
    Singapore

Discussion on Apisto behaviour

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just recently bought my first pair of Apisto, gorgeous fish I would say.

Sadly, the first male died within 3 days, probably completely stressed out by a larger male Ram inside. The second did fine, showing its colour the next day. Of course, the larger Ram was taken out.

I have this long piece of wood overgrown with java moss sitting slightly above the gravel. An interesting act I observed from the male apisto; it actually dug a hole under the wood such that the soil forms a low wall around the hole. I found a lot of java moss mixed in this low wall, but not very sure if its the work of the male apisto. Anyone observed this behaviour?

Hope the apisto people can come around and share their experiences and observations on apisto keeping.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My apisto, well. Not to anger any apisto lover. Did look like a young lou han fish.

Characteristic, almost the same, some time stop still in mid water and flare, some time follow my finger, but the apisto did hv an innocent look on its face.

Interesting fish with interesting characteristic. Same like lou han. luckily apisto won't grow tat big.
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it should be the other way round, lou han looks like apisto rather than apisto looks like lou han, cos apisto have been around many centuries ago than LH does.

females which are often ready to breed may create a cave like structure and wait for a male to pass by her, but sad to say since yr male had gone to apisto heaven, her patience are redundant.

You may get a male for her, or better still another pair.Which will work out to be a trio. =)

actually i'm very confuse by yr post, first you said u bought a pair, but since the male died off, how can it still make a hole?

Did u get a pair or 2 males.[]
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i got a second male, got home and found the first one gone.. anyway, now the pair is doing fine. At times, the female seems to be trying to lure the male into the cave by swimming pass it a few times and into the cave. It will peep out from the cave to see if the males follows.

Just tonight, came back home and found the female Ram dug a bigger hole at the other corner (not sure who dugged it, but at least its the female in it), the thing is, the hole is rather open and cories always burge in. The male doesnt seems too interested.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Beware with the cory, if u're trying to breed rams, with cory in it, it's going to be impossible..cory just love the taste of eggs.

If you really want to see the characteristic of dwarf cichlid it's best kept in a speciment tank
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yupz... gotta KIV for this one before i make some space for a tank.. cubicle already having 2 tanks... one more will be too much
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If the female hides in the make-shift cave all day long, seemingly defending it with the male patroling around the cave perimeter, can i assume eggs are laid? Seen both pecking at others when they try to get close to the entrance of the cave.

Can anyone share experience on this? If the 'couple' is alone in a breeding tank, do i have to remove the male or female at any point of time?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功