Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Can Pellia be found in Singapore?

Feedback Score

Can Pellia be found in Singapore?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can Pellia be found in Singapore? I'm not sure if this is morph of Singapore Moss, Riccia or Pellia.

You can see from the picture that there's mixture of Singapore Moss and 'pellia'.

Close-up picture
    Ben Yau
    Hexazona

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ben, I don't understand your question. Please clarify. Did you find the rock (with the byrophytes already growing on it) somewhere in Singapore or is it a rock bought from a fish shop? The byrophyte shown in your picture looks like the one we call Mini-Pellia but we know it isn't a Pellia but a species of Riccardia. Species of Riccardia's can be found in Singapore but according to the professor, there's only one - R. graeffei

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Hi Kwek Leong, I picked the rock with the 'pellia' growing on it while i was tracking somewhere in Singapore. It was submersed in the stream when i found it. I kept it in my tank for around 2 months now and they are still growing healthy.

I am wondering if it could be the R. graeffei that the professor mentioned. Is it available comercially?
    Ben Yau
    Hexazona

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've not seen the R. graeffei sold in local fish shops, Ben. What you have on that rock could be the one but I'm not sure as I've not seen the R. graeffei myself. What I have is just a picture but it does not look like yours at all. But then again, when emersed, they always look different.

I lifted the picture from the professor's book, "A guide to the common liverworts and hornworts of Singapore". Here it is:

Loh K L