Country
    Singapore

Peat moss drop PH to unmeasurable lvl

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    HI,

I had a tank with peat moss under the gravel, the tank looks tan and the ph can't be measured by my ph tester cos it show the lowest, I assume that it is very acid.

But when I intro discus and fishes into it, they quite happy. So can I conclude that peat moss give a natural acid enviornment and the fish can take it? The plants, flourshing, but all plants r rosette species wif no stem plants.

I had try chemcial ph lower, but it did burn the long gan fish and they immediately breathing for air. Luckily, I discard that commercial product away.

I like to know any side effect for using Peat moss on the fish?
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Hi TTL.

Your peat moss under the gravel is precisely what I have in mind. I am thinking of similar set-up as well but am not sure whether the pH will be too low until it is detrimental to the fish health. I have a 18 x 18 x 18 set-up with peat granulate + peat moss ( 1 inch layer ) under 2 inches of gravel and the fish ( mostly tetras and shrimps ) are doing ok. A few casualties in the initial stage though. Didn't measure the pH cos I don't have a pH tester with me. But the trouble is with the water as it requires regular water changes after darkens considerably. I haven't really planted much yet cos availability of suitable plants is very scarse here in East Malaysia. Can you post a pic to let me see the result of your plants?

p/s: Too many ppl with TTL initial in yahoo mail already that's why the 100 came about

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    TTL: Where did you get the peat moss? Any particular brand/packing? I am interested to try for my apisto tank. Maybe in smaller quantity.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    im using the peat moss mix bought at cold storage.. no problem with turning the water brown though...using that for growing my hairgrass..so far so good i guess

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Avant,
    You're one of the few breeds that dun mind (or like) the black water effect from tanin. I can tell you that some people try very hard to avoid it.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haaa..i guess so.. my loaches are supposed to strive in blackwater condition.. esp kuhlis..
    im still adding blackwater essence though haa..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ttl100 & frens,

I can't post a pix yet cos I dont' hv a digi cam still waiting for my bro to bring over. But the plants are mostly amazonia plants with a big roots. The occupants r 4 discus, 1 pair of Apisto (berilli?) frm Benetay, Yamatos, Malayans, 3 SAE and 2 long gan fish, So far, the discus & apisto seem happy, the plants so far is green and growing abit, but I think the rosette amazonia or South East Asia plants is going to boom heavily just by looking at the condition.

When I do the peat moss and base fert, the water is tan, but after I drain all and repenish it with old water, rite now after 4 days, the water is quite clear, not really tan anymore.

One thing I notice last time when I filtering peat moss in my OH filter, the PH cannot be measure but no sight of stress on all the fish and shrimp.

The peat moss I bought frm LFS, not frm plants farms.
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    my peat moss doesn't seem to have an effect on my pH,i used the recomended dosage given to me by the boss of that fish and pet place and its been about 2 weeks but no drop in pH.the nisso volca soil didn't help either.i'm using them in my apisto tanks.what i did was cut a ladies stocking and then fill it with peat moss and tied it up and left it in the tank.pH remains constant at around 7.can't seem to get it to 6.however after adding the peat moss,my agas managed to spawn,the female used the stocking as a spawn site.but i think they must've ate the fry cos its been about a week plus and i dun see any fry swimming about n the female has gone back to her dull coloration.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    get someone to test with a ph pen. if you're in the west side, I can do it for you