Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How Now??

Feedback Score

How Now??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    yesterday, i noticed that i have a fish that has an unusually big tummy, i suspected that it's pregnant, so i moved it to a 1 liter container, then i put in some plants and pump air in....
    today, i notice tt it's tummy is still a little big, but there are pinkish substances stuck to the plants.... i guess it must be it's eggs as there are no such substances on the other plants in my main tank...
    But now, i dunno wat to do?? i dun even know wat is the name of the fish... itz whole body is silvery wif no patterns, abt 4cm long, i searched in Fish Profiles, but cannot find it leh... itz tail fin is pointed like that of a neon tetra, itz top and bottom fins are continous along the body, not separate like the tetra... itz fins are slightly golden yellowish...
    i dunno wat i should do if the eggs hatch. do i have to separate the mother from the babies? or do i leave them alone? isit ok to keep them in the same 1 liter container? isit too small?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sounds like a dwarf neon rainbowfish?

check out the Melanotaenia praecox pic: http://home.earthlink.net/~sbuckel/photogallery.html
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    choy, we have pics of neon rainbow in our database

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    eh... where's the database?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    u can find the link in the front page of the forum, at the announcment column or at the front page of the site..

Database

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi shiki

just to confirm...did you move both the male and female or just the female? coz in your thread it sounds like you just moved the female. I dont keep rainbows but the chances that the eggs that you see are fertilised is as good as zero if the male is not around at all....perhaps i could be wrong....
    [:0]
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/22/2002 1:26:54 AM

hi shiki

just to confirm...did you move both the male and female or just the female? coz in your thread it sounds like you just moved the female. I dont keep rainbows but the chances that the eggs that you see are fertilised is as good as zero if the male is not around at all....perhaps i could be wrong....
    [:0]
    ----------------
    wow, I'd like to know what fish can have fertilised eggs without the male being around [:0] maybe those raptors from Jurassic Park

Simon, thanx for the database pointer.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Shiki ! I agreed with David ! , if u remove onli the female, chances is as good as zero lah ! cheers! bigsmile:]

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    ya, itz the neon rainbowfish.... i did remove only the female to the other container as i was afraid tt the other fishes would eat the eggs la.... aiyah, i din know tt the eggs are actually fertilized after it has been laid.... so wat should i do now? i dun know if i have any male fishes, but i have 2 other of the same type of fish... should i just put all the 3 fishes together in the same container with the eggs? will the other fishes eat the eggs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi shiki

it may be too late to place the other fish into the container now...as the shell would have harden by now. A one litre tank maybe too small for breeding rainbow fish....
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/22/2002 3:47:57 AM

wow, I'd like to know what fish can have fertilised eggs without the male being around [:0] maybe those raptors from Jurassic Park

Simon, thanx for the database pointer.
    ----------------

guppies, for one, do

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/23/2002 2:05:05 PM

guppies, for one, do
    ----------------
    heh heh, even guppies need to have the "first" time

in a bid to control guppy population, I have more male than females, and the males are so "starved" they mistook a female Betta and went after her!

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    choy,
    u gonna create a new species of fishes..work on it.. and perhaps on aquarama 2002, u can sell them and make a profit.. hahaha..
    kelvin
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.