Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: wild mosses collected! most ive never seen before.

Feedback Score

wild mosses collected! most ive never seen before.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear; Loh K L, Freddy, all other killie.com members, TPT members, and anyone else who may read this.

Here are the pictures of the moss. I had them in zip-lock Baggies and I took the pictures of them by taking them out of them and laying them on top. I didn’t get the best-looking shots because I have a shaky hand but some aren’t too too bad. Tonight I will take shots of them floating in the baggies in my tank and I’m not sure if I will be able to post them tonight since I am not going to be home because we are going to my beach house for labor day weekend, its an American holiday I think. Not sure abroad. So ill stop typing nonsense and get to the horrible pictures.(and these where the better ones -.-)

First thing though, I want to let you know I am bad with the camera it’s a new camera and I’m just getting used to it.

So here they are!

Mystery moss #1 it was found in a small mountain creek in New England. I found some small stones with it on it and collected those. It wasn’t an easy task because most of the moss was on large boulders.

Here are some pictures I have 3 small rocks and one twig. Also what I believe is a piece of immersed moss.
    I don’t have a picture of rock 3. Sorry it looks the same though.

Rock 1

Rock 2

Twig

Immersed

Mystery moss #2 I believe this is what http://www.aquamoss.net/Green-Sock-M...-Sock-Moss.htm calls green sock moss. I don’t really have any good pictures yet but I am almost 100% positive it is. If it is it would be amazing because I don’t think anyone has ever seen it but as a picture… LOL

This was collected in the same area as the moss 1 but in a fast moving stream probably 1000 feet in elevation lower.

I have 4 clumps of it and one clump on a stick I believe. Also possibly a clump of the immersed version.

All 4 clumps

Blurry close up

Bad picture of the moss on a stick.

close up, of moss on the stick in the picture there is also a hitch hiker… looks to be a damsel fly larva or something of the sort.

immersed version maybe?

Now I believe this moss is the “true” willow moss. Not the light green stuff you see in people’s tanks. This is a very nice Dark green moss with a brown main “stem” I believe. The moss is OVER 1 FOOT LONG! It is HUGE! And I only took a small amount. It was very close to the mystery moss above which I believe is “green sock moss” which seems to describe this moss very well.

Here are some pictures of this amazing sized moss.

With ruler

Close up of the tips.

Close up of lower section

Here is another interesting moss. (They are both immersed) It was found on the side of a hiking trail near the immersed moss that looks like erect moss so I will put these two together even though they look nothing alike.

First is moss #7

It has HUGE fronds. Hopefully it will have an aquatic form I am going to be testing it soon, Probably mid September.

The clump pictures (there are two)

One frond on a ruler its 2 inches long and about 1 inch wide.

Here is a picture of the immersed erect moss I believe. It might not be though.

Finally the liverwort looking thing, it was found at about 4500-5000 feet elevation, in a run off stream with many small waterfalls. This is the same place the next amazing plant was found also.

So mystery liverwort #1

There are 5 small clumps I have but only have one picture of four of them.

Ok this is my personal biggest “discovery”(find). It looks like a seaweed almost but I belie it is related to the same plants such as pelia. It is growing in another mystery moss. It is very fragile. When I put it into the baggy full of aquarium water and floated it… it started PEARLING!!! I was very VERY happy about this so I think the future for this amazing looking plant is bright.

So without further ado, here are the horrible shots of it

All right, I just want to sum some things up. This is the best I have done before. I didn’t collect things that where very scarce or where it would endanger its population in the wild. I did this more or less for “scientific” study. All these plants had a significantly LARGE amount in the collection sights and I took 10-30 minuets finding where I could take a sample and have the least effect if any on the environment. I am very careful when I do this and do not encourage others to do this. I take very small amounts and probably by this time next year I will have enough to share with other hobbyists.

For the killies.com members I typed this all up in MS word to make sure grammar was good.

The pictures are not good in quality and tonight I will most likely take more pictures and update this. If I get busy I will have to put it on hold till next week.

So hope you enjoyed my effort and horrible pictures!

- Andrew –
    AKA
    - Fish Newb –

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    this was the orriginal post below

well the title sums it up i was on a hike on saturday and there where some creeks/streams and i got a bunch of different types of moss which i've never seen before. so i am going upstairs to unpack them and get some pictures of them.

i believe i have around 10 species of moss most submerged but a few emersed. one of the emersed looks to be erect moss! if so thats amazing to me since i am in New England USA thats where i collected these mosses and i believe i got a few liverworts also... possibly even another species that looks like a fresh water sea weed... but VERY small amount of this so i will have to be EXTREMELY careful.

so ill have the pictures in an hour about. hopefully there will be some good shots of the amazing mosses i collected.

- Andrew -

got delayed. will have the pictures posted tomorrow. sorry.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Andrew,

Thank you for sharing and welcome here!

As we are trying to maintain a decent netiquette here, I would appreciate if you could help us along. You can do that by typing the post as you would write normally. For your case, kindly use capital letters where appropriate.

Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Andrew,

We would love to see the pictures of the various bryophytes you collected. Please show them to us. Do not be offended by what Freddy has said. Over here in Killies.com, we're a bit uptight about how posts are written but we have very good reasons for this. If you noticed, many of us make it a point to present our posts well. I'm sure you can too.

Just remember to put in the punctuation and capitalise the first letter of every sentence like your teacher at your school taught you to.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Andrew,

We would love to see the pictures of the various bryophytes you collected. Please show them to us. Do not be offended by what Freddy has said. Over here in Killies.com, we're a bit uptight about how posts are written but we have very good reasons for this. If you noticed, many of us make it a point to present our posts well. I'm sure you can too.

Just remember to put in the punctuation and capitalise the first letter of every sentence like your teacher at your school taught you to.

Loh K L

Do not worry. I was not offended. It will just take some time for me to get used to it. But I will be trying hard to remember. To help I will probably just write my messages in ms. word to make sure everything is good. That is what I did with the "article" I wrote on the mosses I collected and I hope you like it. Hopefully sooner or later maybe this spring? I can send you samples of moss for Identification by the professor. I'm sure he would like to see some of these, as would you.

Please understand that I took a few hours with my shaky hands trying to take pictures. Tonight I will try and get better ones but with a new small camera it is hard to get used to it.

- Andrew -

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Those are awesome find, Andrew! I can't wait for your updated pictures of these mosses and liverworts (take pictures when the plants are inside the aquarium, too).

It's indeed quite exciting of the new possibilities that more plants are being discovered for the planted aquariums. Thank you Andrew for sharing this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand
    Those are awesome find, Andrew! I can't wait for your updated pictures of these mosses and liverworts (take pictures when the plants are inside the aquarium, too).

It's indeed quite exciting of the new possibilities that more plants are being discovered for the planted aquariums. Thank you Andrew for sharing this.
    I will be taking some pictures intank later tonight or next week. It needs to darken up outside first

You are welcome for me sharing this. It says you live in HI? Well you must have some nice stuff also!(but be CAREFULL) there are nasties that might hitch along. i was just looking into my tank and found a leach. there is also dragonfly larva that i need to get rid of. but for me its wearth it. but you need to be very carefull and take time when taking samples so it doesnt effect the local ecosystem.

- Andrew -

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That was a great post, Andrew. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

You may like to take note that with the word "immersed", it means the same as "submersed" or "submerged". If you want to tell us that the moss was growing "out of water", you should use "emersed". In other words, "immersed" and "emersed" are exact opposites.

The other thing to take note is that we shouldn't "pigeonhole" every other moss we find. It's highly unlikely you found Erect and Green Socks Moss. More likely, what you found are terrestrial mosses common to your part of the world.

The professor and I would love to see your mosses but it would be better if you try and grow them in your tank first. This is because the professor is a busy man so when we seek his help to identify mosses, we should restrict ourselves to only those that can survive under water. It would be of little interest to us to know the identify of a moss if we can't grow it in our tanks in the first place. Right?

As you have noticed, mosses picked up from streams and creeks carry within their fronds many living organisms. I was with the professor 2 days ago and we were examining a moss. I couldn't see it with my naked eye but through the microscope, I saw a live worm. It was wriggling among the leaves of the moss. Yucks!! The professor said it's wise to wash your hands thoroughly after handling wild mosses. You wouldn't want a worm to end up in your stomach

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    That was a great post, Andrew. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.
    Well I couldn't of done it without this forum. So thank you!

You may like to take note that with the word "immersed", it means the same as "submersed" or "submerged". If you want to tell us that the moss was growing "out of water", you should use "emersed". In other words, "immersed" and "emersed" are exact opposites.
    Aha that is what i thought. But clearly MS. word is not made for aquatic moss nuts. The program Auto Corrected me on that.

The other thing to take note is that we shouldn't "pigeonhole" every other moss we find. It's highly unlikely you found Erect and Green Socks Moss. More likely, what you found are terrestrial mosses common to your part of the world.
    Your probably right. But these looked similer and i am trying to figure out what they are..... So i guessed they might be those. I am not certain and my guessing is probably wrong.

The professor and I would love to see your mosses but it would be better if you try and grow them in your tank first. This is because the professor is a busy man so when we seek his help to identify mosses, we should restrict ourselves to only those that can survive under water. It would be of little interest to us to know the identify of a moss if we can't grow it in our tanks in the first place. Right?
    LoL yes it would be pointless to send non aquatic mosses. I believe that all the wet mosses that i found in the streams and such are truely aquatic, but the emersed ones could be either way. But dont worry i wouldn't waste time with dry mosses.
    bomb"]As you have noticed, mosses picked up from streams and creeks carry within their fronds many living organisms. I was with the professor 2 days ago and we were examining a moss. I couldn't see it with my naked eye but through the microscope, I saw a live worm. It was wriggling among the leaves of the moss. Yucks!! The professor said it's wise to wash your hands thoroughly after handling wild mosses. You wouldn't want a worm to end up in your stomach
    Its amazing how much "stuff" is in moss. I took the 1g. bag of one of the mosses (the one i thought was green sock moss) and REALLY washed it out. Like 20 mins of swirling and stuff. and still i see all these little bugs and larva crawl out... Where i collected this moss was one DIRTY stream!

NO! I would not want a worm in my stumach besides a gummy worm... those are yummy.

I am Looking into buying heavy duty gloves from Dr. fosters and smith they are well priced and will protect me from any bugs!

over and out!

- Andrew -

Feedback Score
    Hello Andrew,

well, as a fellow New Englander, its very interesting to see the variety of mosses you collected.

The ones in which the two pictures appear after your text "The clump pictures (there are two)" are Sphagnum. (Did you number the varieties you collected?) Its sometimes referred to as "sheet moss" because it will grow in thick sheets, and can be pulled up/harvested in those sheets as well. A cleaned and dried version is often for sale in garden centers, as it's used in terrariums, as a main substrate component. Alas, it is not an aquatic. It will grow submerged for very long periods of time (with seasonal flooding of the streams) but is not happy unless at least part of it is emersed. I've tried growing it submerged, and it just got very long and thin and made a dash for the water surface.

I'm curious about the very long one you collected - was it anchored to rock? I collected some that appears to be the same, or very similar, locally (Central Massachusetts) and it was in a very fast-flowing area of the stream, attached to man-made rockwork which made the stream narrow (and fast) as it passed below a street. It was in an area which receives direct sun for half the day. I've been trying this in a quarantine tank (I also found a remarkable number of insect residents!) for a few months, and it seems to be surviving well, even without any strong current.

Please keep us posted on how your collected specimens adapt to your conditions! I'm curious. Thanks for an interesting post.

-Jane

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Andrew,
    If the next lot of pics are like those earlier, I'm gonna need new glasses! Try to shoot them in better lighting or use a higher ISO, say ASA200, or if the terrain permit, a monopod or tripod.

Thanks for sharing and I'm amazed by the variety, especially the 1-footers. Can't help picturing a bunch of them, replacing spawning mops, in the breeding tanks!! Yup, I suffer from the "die-hard fish-keeper" syndrome!

I'm not a moss person and have never requested for any but would you have sufficient to zap some over in a baggie? [only the long ones, please?]
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Hey Andrew,
    If the next lot of pics are like those earlier, I'm gonna need new glasses! Try to shoot them in better lighting or use a higher ISO, say ASA200, or if the terrain permit, a monopod or tripod.

Thanks for sharing and I'm amazed by the variety, especially the 1-footers. Can't help picturing a bunch of them, replacing spawning mops, in the breeding tanks!! Yup, I suffer from the "die-hard fish-keeper" syndrome!

I'm not a moss person and have never requested for any but would you have sufficient to zap some over in a baggie? [only the long ones, please?]
    Wow this thread was brought up from the dead....

The long ones turned out to be willow moss as expected. Right now I have two different ones I have collected and am hanging in my 55g tank to grow as you would a spawning mop. I never really thought about that but it is a GREAT Idea. Right now its like below 0C up here in New England so I'm not sure how the mosses would do shipping, I did ship a few out yesterday... too bad I didn't see the post I would of added some to ship to you. The one I orriginally collected isn't really growing and Might have some algea on it, But if you are really interested I could send you a decent portion, which is VERY long

And my Camera skills have gotten better, I figured out my problem lol....

- Andrew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Andrew,
    Do the moss a favor and not kill it by cold spell during shipping. I'm not in a hurry but really curious to know if the killies will take well to the 'moss mop'. Perhaps you can try it and let us know? What's the temp in that tank now?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Andrew,
    Do the moss a favor and not kill it by cold spell during shipping. I'm not in a hurry but really curious to know if the killies will take well to the 'moss mop'. Perhaps you can try it and let us know? What's the temp in that tank now?
    Right now the tank is around 75F-77F

I would try and let you know but I actually don't own any killies at the moment.... I'm shrimp obsessed right now and have no room.

I might get some killies sooner or later to see how they like it if I can find any locally, but untill then we will wait till spring and I'll ship you some over

Sooner or later I'll have to get some killies though.

- Andrew