Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tying Moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I personally prefer using the cheapest cotton thread I can find. Black or dark color preferably. No need to tie a knot or so, I simple try to insert the end into a dw, or metal mess (not with rocks). Do not hesitate to tie tightly.

Cheers, Christophe
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by apistomaster View Post
    I like using the netting method shown but for wood my preferred method is to gather up clumps of moss then staple them in place with a staple gun using short staples. The distances between the stapled clumps varies depending on the type of Moss, size of clump and how patient you are about allowing the clumps to grow to fill in the open areas between the clumps.

I shy away form using lines to attach moss to wood because I have lost a few expensive plecos which worked their way underneath a loose thread wrapping then subsequently entangled themselves as they rolled and the line became badly tangled up in their spiky odontodes. This does and has happened so it is something to consider when using tied mosses in tanks with Hypancistrus and Peckoltia species. Stapled Moss does not let such accidents happen.

I would not recommend staples , they rust in the water and contaminate it. I wld use string if u find the nylon line snags fish, others etc. they can be wrapped tighter and are usually thinner

A staples are harmless. Only minute amounts of harmless iron oxide as rust forms and if one changes water on any regular schedule, you wouldn't be able to measure any increase in iron. Thread or nylon line are traditional but deadly for expensive small plecos. Other fish don't get tangled up in threads but a fish like a Zebra Pleco sure can.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Philippines

What a great thread! I wish there was some way to get mini pelia, US fissidens and erect moss here in the Philippines!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

A great open mind to all planters that save you time on try and erorr.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

just explore into there. great help. was just wondering how to get started on tying moss.thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Don't forget Gel superglue too

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by punkytin View Post
    What a great thread! I wish there was some way to get mini pelia, US fissidens and erect moss here in the Philippines!!
    i will be in Manila in a week or 2, i can give u some US fissiden.
    Old guy into Apisto.....again....
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydaze View Post
    i will be in Manila in a week or 2, i can give u some US fissiden.
    Wow! Thanks for the offer but I was actually able to get a small portion from a hobbyist here. I also wouldn't want to trouble your trip to Manila! Whereabouts are you heading??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Business trip.
    Old guy into Apisto.....again....
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Viet Nam

Lightbulb Re: Tying Moss

Hi folks,

Does there have samples and guide to tying Ricca moss?

Regards,
    BL

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for enlightening

Something related to those who like to grow mosses is the problem of algae growth control.
    I have found a group of miniature Loriacariidae catfish which do a superlative job of keeping mosses clean. They work better than any shrimp i have tried by far.
    The catch is they are rarely imported and are very difficult to acclimate. But once that has been accomplished they really do a good job of keeping the mosses free of unwanted algae.
    Try Parotocincinclus cf. eppleyi or any close relative. Males rarely exceed a total length of 2 cm. The females get slightly larger, about 2.4 cm.
    They are so small their sucker mouth can work over the many fine "leaflets' mosses grow where larger Parotocinclus and Otocinclus simply cannot reach.
    They are an extremely interesting group of micro-"plecos". Here is the species profile page from planetcatfish: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...species_id=607
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by apistomaster View Post
    Something related to those who like to grow mosses is the problem of algae growth control.
    I have found a group of miniature Loriacariidae catfish which do a superlative job of keeping mosses clean. They work better than any shrimp i have tried by far.
    The catch is they are rarely imported and are very difficult to acclimate. But once that has been accomplished they really do a good job of keeping the mosses free of unwanted algae.
    Try Parotocincinclus cf. eppleyi or any close relative. Males rarely exceed a total length of 2 cm. The females get slightly larger, about 2.4 cm.
    They are so small their sucker mouth can work over the many fine "leaflets' mosses grow where larger Parotocinclus and Otocinclus simply cannot reach.
    They are an extremely interesting group of micro-"plecos". Here is the species profile page from planetcatfish: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...species_id=607
    This is good recommendation, will they take out black brush algae? Anyone any idea where we can get this in singapore?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I don't see any photographs attached.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12