Thread: Sunfish

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    FWIW, Pachypanchax "Betsiboka" is now P. arnoulti.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Rahul, minor error there, but it's now called Pachypanchax arnoulti, not arnaulti. Referred to the original description by Loiselle in his revision of the Malagasy Pachypanchax. Oddly I don't see any playfairii in that revision. Is it not found on Madagascar as well
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Thanks for the correction, JY.

P. playfairii is from the Seychelles.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Rahul,

Yes I just checked on the playfairii before I saw your reply. Thanks though. Of the new species, I think Pachypanchax patriciae is the most beautiful.

Anyway, we've gone off-topic already. Back to the sunnies, I'm hoping that Ron gets successful with the little Elassoma in his care.

Ron,

Another breeding article regarding the Elassoma evergladei:

http://articles.gpasi.org/elassoma_evergladei.html

Written by Sallie Boggs and provided by the GPASI website.

Feedback Score
    Joseph, I took the liberty in adjusting your photo abit:

Hope you don't mind...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Another breeding article regarding the Elassoma evergladei
    Yes, I read it during earlier search for more info and it was this paragraph that prompt me to scarlet badis fry raising...

" All of this prespawning ritual went on for the months of March, April, May, and June. Although I never saw an actual spawning, I did see small numbers of larval fish about 1 mm long, hanging from tank walls and furnishings. These took several days to become free swimming. When they did, they disappeared among the floating plants and swam in rapid dashes followed by sitting motionless. The young were very shy and were all but invisible. Some survived and grew up in the tank. Others were fished out, and fed on sponge grunge and green water. Later, they ate live baby brine shrimp. They grew slowly, but seemed hardy. All fry were colored similarly to the female."

BTW, Bill, the edit version looks good but nothing like a young mature male. It's really something and better if they can keep still for a portrait.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hmm...so scarlet badis are basically tropical elassoma? If they are as easy to raise as elassoma, maybe I should give them a shot.

Ruyle: What tools did you use on that? It looks good, but as Ron hints at does have a bit of an altered look to it.
    ~Joseph

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks like Bill just cropped the image, resized it a little, and increased the brightness.

Ron, sounds like Dario alright. Since you already have experience at raising those teeeny weeeeny Dario fry, these should probably do well for you. Hope you don't go bonkers trying to spot them in the tank..

Joseph, yup you can say that the Dario are like the tropical counterparts of the Elassoma species. They're more or less of the same size when adult, produce tiny fry and are just as skittish. But I love Dario.. alot. They'll stay still for nice pictures.. like these that I took some time ago.

They're not that amazing in quality, but they're good enough for me. Right now I feel like buying some Darios since I don't have any Elassoma... yet. Waiting for good news from Mr Ronnie here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Folks,
    I hate to spill the beans but some of my tanks took another hit-and-run episode over Christmas day, lost a good number of fishes and had to clean up the aftermath.

All my Paedocypris are gone. Ditto for the male Elassoma. Same goes for my breeding pairs of striatums and Microrasbora sp. Galaxy.

Failed attempts on my Betta albimarginata and but lost the B. Pallifina pair anyway (cover out of place)

There's a surveillance camera mounted near the setups and when I'm feeling less sore, I'll run through the HD recording. If it's the same sucker that went for my Simp magificus last Christmas, he'll be in crutches soon enough!!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Someone stole your fish??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm.. the neighbour at work again?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Hmm.. the neighbour at work again?
    Folks,
    I don't have the heart to scan through the surveillance HDD, not when it happens on Christmas Day, nor do I feel like breaking anyone's legs.

Live and let live but yes, Rahul, stolen. I can't remember how many times I've given away killies to those truly keen. Sad to think that that person could have been a killie-keeper instead of a thief.

Joseph & Rahul, sorry for blowing any chances of propagating the sunfishes locally.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I tell you what, throwaway your CCTV and put a sign instead:

" Please note that this place is NOT under surveillance of any sort. If you would like any of the plants and fishes here, please contact Ronnie the Man at 9xx9x55x "
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    No worries, Ronnie. There's always next time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To be frank Ronnie, I feel you should report the guilty chap to the police. The fishes cost time, and money, plus the loss of the pallifina pair is definitely a letdown. They're worth a fair bit and since he attempted to snag the albi pair too, it probably shows that he knows the value of these fishes.

If he happens to be the SAME idiot who took your magnificus the other time round, just haul his *** to the police station and then charge him with theft. I suppose time in lockup would do him some good to wake up his idea. He shouldn't be given a second chance at all.

Feedback Score
    I respectfully agree with Jianyang.

It is quite a bit of bother for you to get involved with the authorities, on this, but you do the thief no favors by letting him get away with it.

What will his next affront to society be? Will you bear some responsibility for it? Nail him, if you can. At least try to stop it at the petty theft level.

Accept the fact that every good deed receives its just punishment.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    When I was lying on my chest, with a back-full of needles*, I was hesitant to answer the physician why my body was a wreck. He diagnosed multiple, untreated internal injuries that's causing the chronic back and shoulder pains.

I asked myself, "should I tell him of my foolish, reckless days? Should I tell him how many times I fell and how I ended up like this?" All things considered, perhaps this really wasn't too bad after all.

As a young fellow, I have little regards for convention, the 'norm' and what people call 'The Law' but without those who have shown compassion, forgiveness and the leeway to change, I could have ended up far worse. Unimaginable, if those bent on persecution had their ways.

Point is, despite what some feel, good decision can only come from having made many bad ones (I know I did). It's how some of us learn, with varying degree of consequences and the manner in which we pick ourselves up.

I feel it does no good pursuing what's done and think it's wise to erase the HDD, so let's not quibble over that. Our SG boys will surely get their second chances with the sunfishes someday, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by whuntley
    Accept the fact that every good deed receives its just punishment.
    Heh, in that case, I guess I'll have to wait for judgment day to receive my sentence

[* No, it wasn't a sacrificial ritual but acupuncture treatment common in TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine). The process doesn't hurt a great deal but I felt like a porcupine's cousin. Lower back pains have subsided somewhat but it's gonna be a month-long treatment, at least.

There are also alot of scrapes and circular-marks on my back, left behind by vacuum-cups, said to 'draw out the wind' in my body. The Malays call it "buang angin", I think. The English-speaking will refer it as rheumatism (or rheumatoid arthritis??)]
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ron,

You will be amused to learn that the only other killifish breeder in Bishop is our local acupuncturist, Howard Wu.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Wow...sorry to hear that Ron! I don't think it is too much though to simply track him down and ask he return the fishes. But you are free to do as you feel is best.
    ~Joseph

Feedback Score
    To dig this topic back up...if anyone in the states is interested in gloriosus...I have an abundance of them now I need to move ASAP.
    ~Joseph

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast