Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Re: Badis badis

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Ron. Very nice pics. I'm still in search of the Dario. I may have found some Badis here from one of our members, CrazyPlantLady. We have been in contact and I am very hopeful we can work it out. The weather here on Long Island is fairly warm at the moment. But it can change any day. I am hoping to hear back from her soon. I would love to get the badis before the cold hits us here. But if I have to wait and she is able to hold them until it warms I am a patient man. Storm has been very helpful also. You are all great friends here. I am glad to be yours.

Tom,
    angels without wings

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I've sent a reply, Tom. Here is my male, when he was courting his females Below is his harem

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

BEAUTIFUL ! I'm excited. He is awesome, what color he has. Looks like a few females have eggs in them. I'll send a reply when I get home from work today Crazy. I can't wait. Everything you said in your email sounds good to me. But I should give you something extra for heat packs and bags. You can't spend moneyon those and expect eat the cost. Talk to you soon.

Tom,

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

can i know what parameters you use to keep that darios like that? coz previously i tried.. no avail... and what do you normally feed them besides tubi? coz i find them too dirty... any form of frozen food ok?

thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

These are not Darios. These are Badis Badis. Thye will usually eat only live foods. Frozen blood worms work well also. Black worms if you can get them where you are. I get this from reading up on them not from experience. You should really talk to Crazy Plant Lady ! She seems to be the current expert on this fish. Read her previous post also. There are some others with posts on them too. There is ALOT of very good info here and very knowlegable people here alsowilling to help eachother out.

Tom,

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I've gotten my harem of 4 females to eat freeze-dried bloodworms. They will also eat frozen bloodworms and live black worms.

The fry (they are 1/2 adult size, so not really fry anymore!) will not yet eagerly eat freeze-dried foods, but will eat frozen and live.

My male Badis badis is the most stubborn. He will eat live anytime but only grudgingly eat frozen. I've put a school of Celestial Pearl Danios in his tank and he is starting to get really excited and animated when I feed them flake foods. I'm hoping, someday, he will eat what he sees them eating.

I think if they can be coaxed into eating commercially prepared foods, they will be more sellable by hobby aquarists. It's hard to find folks that will take the effort to provide live foods.

Tom (islandangels) will soon be getting his own batch of young to breed with. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit! I have breather bags and 60 hour heatpacks, but with the weather being well below freezing, neither of us wants to risk them yet!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

The weather isn't getting any better here Kimberly. We got 2 feet of snow last night. And its pretty darn cold. BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ! 20 degrees all day. Was below 0 last night. I'm glad we are waiting to ship. I hope I have as much luck with them as you have had. Keep in touch.

Tom,

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I tried to get a picture of them eating frozen bloodworms but they are just so fast! Little piggies!

I'm watching the weather here and there. No extra charge for 'room and board' HAHAHA!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh...I have some picts. same kind?

2nd pict is Ah blur.
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 9th Jan 2010 at 14:07.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dario dario... aka Scarlet Badis. Good community fish but since it's not very food-competitive, try make sure it gets it's fair share of food.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Oh...I have some picts. same kind?

2nd pict is Ah blur.
    No, not the same kind. That is Dario dario, at one time called Badis bengalensis, but reclassified as it is not a Badis at all. They scatter eggs, while the Badis lay eggs in caves and the males tend to them. My male tended his first batch until I pulled them out at about 5 months old.

Beautiful Dario dario though!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

^o^Y yep yep. Haven't seen them around for ages so I decided to get 11 of em I think two weeks back. My cuties seems to be doing fine so far in my main tank 3ft. All of them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wanted to keep this fish long time ago but was turned down by them as they only feed on live food, thats what the store keeper told me. Any chance of them feeding on dried or frozen brine shrimp or even dry pallet or powdered form ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Are you referring to the actual Badis badis, or Dario dario?

Badis badis can be made to accept sinking pellets, but it will take frozen bloodworm too. Dario needs live food because very rarely will they adapt to dry foods.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm refering to the common ones sold at $10 for 8 or sometimes 10. There are those with red strips. Did a quick search on badis badis and dario dario, both show some same photo so i'm not sure about it name.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Then you are referring to Dario dario, the Scarlet Badis.

Badis badis - http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...00-Badis-badis
    Dario dario - http://www.mailodrom.de/gr/5189-Dario.JPG
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fishforlife View Post
    I'm refering to the common ones sold at $10 for 8 or sometimes 10. There are those with red strips. Did a quick search on badis badis and dario dario, both show some same photo so i'm not sure about it name.
    sounds like u're looking for dario dario..
    Keeping fish is like lure fishing, the moment u slack off its all gone!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah read up some website. Its dario dario. Guess I'll have to give them a miss if they only accept live food.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12